Intel 750 vs Samsung 951 AHCI

danielhowk

It's not so much faster to justify the cost, a normal SATA 3 SSD is great, those are for e-peen.

for daily usage is still faster than sata 3 ssd right ?

if so intel 750 or samsung951 ahci is faster ?

for daily usage is still faster than sata 3 ssd right ?

if so intel 750 or samsung951 ahci is faster ?

we don't know alot about the samsung nvme drives yet

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

we don't know alot about the samsung nvme drives yet

talking about samsung ahci. because samsung nvme is really rare to nonexistence. so im just wondering intel 750 or samsung 951 ahci to get which is faster xD 

as both of them are pretty close

talking about samsung ahci. because samsung nvme is really rare to nonexistence. so im just wondering intel 750 or samsung 951 ahci to get which is faster xD 

as both of them are pretty close

You answer your question already. For majority of home user, I bet they will notice any difference in most cases. I have the SM951 as boot drive. Previously using a 850 Pro. Even through the SM951 is like 3-4 times faster than the 850 Pro. I really don't notice a big difference. Boot time is about the same 12-15s for Windows 8.1. Every app will launch instantly. I say instantly, maybe there is a 0.5 second delay with the 850 Pro. Let's say it becomes 0.2s with SM951. Which is more than double the speed. But will you notice a big difference between 0.5s and 0.2s?? Basically, both of them you click, they open. Unless you're doing very large file transfer, then you'll see the real difference. 

With the performance so close between SM951 and Intel 750 on paper. Even the difference of big file transfer will be down to fraction of a second. 

Here is how you choose between the SM951 and the Intel 750 since they perform so similarly in real use scenario.

Does your motherboard support the M.2 with PCIe 3.0 x4 out of the box, or do you want a smaller NVMe SSD? Then go with the SM951.

Doesn't your motherboard support PCIe 3.0 x4, or if you want larger SSD (400/1,200GB), and if you have room for a PCIe SSD. Then go with Intel.

As much as I trust Samsung when it comes to SSD's, I honestly trust Intel more. So that is what I would go with.

You answer your question already. For majority of home user, I bet they will notice any difference in most cases. I have the SM951 as boot drive. Previously using a 850 Pro. Even through the SM951 is like 3-4 times faster than the 850 Pro. I really don't notice a big difference. Boot time is about the same 12-15s for Windows 8.1. Every app will launch instantly. I say instantly, maybe there is a 0.5 second delay with the 850 Pro. Let's say it becomes 0.2s with SM951. Which is more than double the speed. But will you notice a big difference between 0.5s and 0.2s?? Basically, both of them you click, they open. Unless you're doing very large file transfer, then you'll see the real difference. 

With the performance so close between SM951 and Intel 750 on paper. Even the difference of big file transfer will be down to fraction of a second. 

Yeah but i heard the previous version of samsung sm951 have some heat issue which slows down performance. when is heated. is that solved ? 

Yeah but i heard the previous version of samsung sm951 have some heat issue which slows down performance. when is heated. is that solved ? 

I put the SM951 on adapter card plugged in to the PCIe slot. It's directly cooled by intake fans. It takes more than a minute of "full load" to heat up the SSD without any cooling. With the speed of it, unless you have extreme work load, like keep loading large video files when editing and rendering videos for extended period, I doubt you will see any throttling. Most of the time, the SSD is just idling because it goes through the tasks so quickly. I can see the temp of the drives on HWMonitor. Don't remember ever seeing it passes 40*C. 

I put the SM951 on adapter card plugged in to the PCIe slot. It's directly cooled by intake fans. It takes more than a minute of "full load" to heat up the SSD without any cooling. With the speed of it, unless you have extreme work load, like keep loading large video files when editing and rendering videos for extended period, I doubt you will see any throttling. Most of the time, the SSD is just idling because it goes through the tasks so quickly. I can see the temp of the drives on HWMonitor. Don't remember ever seeing it passes 40*C. 

thank you for your very detailed explanation.

so intel 750 and samsung 951 being very close. for daily usage which is actually abit faster ? 

thank you for your very detailed explanation.

so intel 750 and samsung 951 being very close. for daily usage which is actually abit faster ? 

According to some reviews, the Intel 750 has a very slow boot up time, like 45s vs 12s(in my case) for SM951. If you plan to use the SSD for prolonged period of heavy work load, then I'd go for Intel. Also consider the size and price. SM951 only goes to 512GB. Maybe not big enough for certain purposes. 

According to some reviews, the Intel 750 has a very slow boot up time, like 45s vs 12s(in my case) for SM951. If you plan to use the SSD for prolonged period of heavy work load, then I'd go for Intel. Also consider the size and price. SM951 only goes to 512GB. Maybe not big enough for certain purposes. 

thanks strange why intel have such bad boot time. is it comparing to 850 pro samsung ?

thanks strange why intel have such bad boot time. is it comparing to 850 pro samsung ?

Not really strange. It has to start up as a PCI Express device and go through its own checks before loading the OS.

My RAID card tacks on a minute to my boot time as it starts up.

Here is how you choose between the SM951 and the Intel 750 since they perform so similarly in real use scenario.

Does your motherboard support the M.2 with PCIe 3.0 x4 out of the box, or do you want a smaller NVMe SSD? Then go with the SM951.

Doesn't your motherboard support PCIe 3.0 x4, or if you want larger SSD (400/1,200GB), and if you have room for a PCIe SSD. Then go with Intel.

As much as I trust Samsung when it comes to SSD's, I honestly trust Intel more. So that is what I would go with.

my motherboard is going to be asus z170 Hero. is that okay for Intel 750 NVME pci-e ? only going with a single  980ti