Which platform to go on?

Go to solution Solved by bomerr,

X99 will be the only sensible upgrade

I agree that a X99 i7-5820k is the only sensible upgrade.

i5-6600k would be a mixed bag upgrade. Yes IPC is higher but without H/T you might when it comes to streaming/Skype while gaming.

i7-6700k is a better choice but the upgrade will be very incremental and only marginally better than your current rig.

As Skylake and Haswell-e both use DDR4 Ram price is the same.

A good low-end X99 mobo such as an Asus X99-A is 200-250, so exact same price as your Asus Hero VIII.

CPU 5820k is 390 right now on newegg. 6700k has a retail of 350. 

So for 40 extra dollars you can upgrade from a 4C/8T cpu to 6C/12T cpu. It's a no brainer really. 

For the record I'm a 5820k owner and have been using it since last fall. I think a lot of people overlooked X99 as it's not on the "mainstream" socket. However the bang for the buck intel has given us on the 5820k is really amazing. Oh and at Microcetner a 5820k is only 320 USD---that's cheaper than an i7 6700k. 

FYI most 5820k will OC to 4.3-4.5ghz

Hello Forum!

I am sorry for adding another "Help me pick" thread but I mainly want to see the opinions to help me choose.

Situation: The idea is for me to upgrade my parts (i7-4770k, Asus Hero VIII, 16gb G.skill Sniper) and give those parts to my girlfriends build (Pentium dual core, budget MoBo, 4gb)

I know you guys will say "Don't do it" and "its not worth" and I understand that 100% if it is just me upgrading alone. But let me explain: If let say I would go with Newegg's Bundle deal (i5-6600k, MoBo, DDR4) for $600~, then My girlfriend and I will split the difference, so I would get less value in upgrading, but she will get a rather hefty value so it evens out.

ANYWAY (Sorry for the rambling)

For streaming, light video editing, skype and in the future SLI and 3 way monitor, what do you guys think the best value of platform should I fall into?

(I live in Cali, USD, and shopping between Amazon and Newegg)

Thanks guys!

What I think is that the old i7 will outperform the new i5. Like yes its cool to have the newest but if you plan on video edit and stream the i7 will probably be better. Not sure though

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

What I think is that the old i7 will outperform the new i5. Like yes its cool to have the newest but if you plan on video edit and stream the i7 will probably be better. Not sure though

I tried looking around for streaming/multitasking answers from other websites, but I only find mixed answers between the i5/i7, especially when it comes to Hyperthreading.

I tried looking around for streaming/multitasking answers from other websites, but I only find mixed answers between the i5/i7, especially when it comes to Hyperthreading.

The i7 has hyperthreading which can help maximise the usage of each core. A skylake based i5 will have worse performance when it comes to streamingmand multi tasking

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

The i7 has hyperthreading which can help maximise the usage of each core. A skylake based i5 will have worse performance when it comes to streamingmand multi tasking

That's what I figured, I do run OBS, Chrome, Any game I play, and skype so it would make sense to go for an i7. Now the real question that is related to this thread is what Platform should I go for, X99 or Z170? (info above of future set up)

That's what I figured, I do run OBS, Chrome, Any game I play, and skype so it would make sense to go for an i7. Now the real question that is related to this thread is what Platform should I go for, X99 or Z170? (info above of future set up)

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

i5-6600k would be a mixed bag upgrade. Yes IPC is higher but without H/T you might when it comes to streaming/Skype while gaming.

i7-6700k is a better choice but the upgrade will be very incremental and only marginally better than your current rig.

A good low-end X99 mobo such as an Asus X99-A is 200-250, so exact same price as your Asus Hero VIII.

So for 40 extra dollars you can upgrade from a 4C/8T cpu to 6C/12T cpu. It's a no brainer really. 

For the record I'm a 5820k owner and have been using it since last fall. I think a lot of people overlooked X99 as it's not on the "mainstream" socket. However the bang for the buck intel has given us on the 5820k is really amazing. Oh and at Microcetner a 5820k is only 320 USD---that's cheaper than an i7 6700k. 

Yeah I did see some people advertised it as a "Workstation" type. Also I heard that the x99 board wont change for a while, like 2-3 year cycle? And like I said, I know that I am not getting any noticeable difference in perfomance, but it's mainly for my girlfriend so it's worth it (to some extent lol) 

workstation, mainstream and enthusiast are just human labels, cpus do not make a distinction.

for rendering moar performance = moar better. more cores, higher clock speed, more mhz. The more powerful a cpu is the faster it'll render.

for gaming it's all about the bottleneck, does the CPU limit the GPUs performance? with dx12 the amount of cpu power needed to power a gpu goes down. likewise upgrading to 4k also reduces the cpu usage. hence a 6c/12t 5820k is overkill that it won't be just good for the life of the socket, it'll be good until PCIe 3.0 16X gets maxed out. 

5820k isn't exactly a steal at 300-400 but it's a damn good deal.