Is my CPU to Hot??

Go to solution Solved by ProKoN,

Hey Guys,

So at idle my cpu runs at 29-30C but when I was doing a prime95 AI Suite III was saying I have 75C and realtemp gave me these numbers 85, 80,75,70. I have not overclocked my CPU at all, I want to check that it was stable before I started and these tempuratures worried me. 

CPU: i7 4770k Haswell

Cooler: H80i with two noctua NF-F12 fans

Could anyone let me know if this is anywhere normal and if I should do something something

Im still shocked at advanced users reply's.

your idle temp is perfect!

if all your parameters are set for "default" this means your cpu vcore is set for "adaptive"

both aida64 and prime95 increase your vcore when you use either of the two programs to stress test, unless you set your Vcore mode to Manual and manually input your stock cpu vcore votage, which is 1.150V

If you want to avoid any headaches Dont use prime95 or aida64 to stress test, prime95 is not even validated for the haswell platform right now.

use the IETU. it does not unnecessarily manipulate voltages! so you dont have to worry about your vcore mode and leave it set for "adaptive" which is best..

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-boards-software-extreme-tuning-utility.html

use the ietu to stress test and to monitor your voltages and temps.

stress test with the ietu and report back with your load temps.

Hey Guys,

So at idle my cpu runs at 29-30C but when I was doing a prime95 AI Suite III was saying I have 75C and realtemp gave me these numbers 85, 80,75,70. I have not overclocked my CPU at all, I want to check that it was stable before I started and these tempuratures worried me. 

Could anyone let me know if this is anywhere normal and if I should do something something

Seems a little hot. Re seat the block and swap thermal paste

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

i was going to say thats good because i thought you were overclocked but at stock that is a little hot maybe try a different thermal paste or reapply the thermal paste 

Haswell is notorious for having cheap thermal paste between the die and the IHS. You seem to have gotten a bad CPU and there is unfortunately nothing you can do about this that would not void your warranty. However if you don't care for your warranty you could delid your processor or lap your processor, however this may damage your CPU. You could lower the voltage on your CPU in an attempt to help lower your temperatures and as long as you keep it below 1.5V and 95C you should be fine

Sam,

Intel Response Squad member

http://bit.ly/RallySquad

Disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for any damage done to your CPU if you chose to either lap or delid your CPU.

Too hot for the cooler , try to re-apply the thermal paste , use MX-4 Or MX-2.  If that doesn't help lower the voltage if that doesnt help either your CPU is binned really bad or your cooler is really bad

Interested in Business and Technology

Ok I will try apply some IC Diamond thermal paste that I bought but didnt use because H80i had thermal paste preapplied. I know, I know what was I thinking. ^_^ How do I remove the paste already on my cpu? Also I noticed that my cpu automatically clocked up to 4.1-4.2ghz on all 4 cores when running prime95

Are your fans optimized for static pressure? I'm not good with Noctua fans. Also, it may not be your problem, Ivy bridge, and Haswell, use bad thermal compound that can only be fixed by de-liding 

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Ok I will try apply some IC Diamond thermal paste that I bought but didnt use because H80i had thermal paste preapplied. I know, I know what was I thinking. ^_^ How do I remove the paste already on my cpu? Also I noticed that my cpu automatically clocked up to 4.1-4.2ghz on all 4 cores when running prime95

for 4.2 GHz these temps are acceptable on haswell, at stock settings this is ridiculous. 

also please use intel extreme tuning utility instead of prime95 for haswell.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

Hey Guys,

if all your parameters are set for "default" this means your cpu vcore is set for "adaptive"

both aida64 and prime95 increase your vcore when you use either of the two programs to stress test, unless you set your Vcore mode to Manual and manually input your stock cpu vcore votage, which is 1.150V

If you want to avoid any headaches Dont use prime95 or aida64 to stress test, prime95 is not even validated for the haswell platform right now.

use the IETU. it does not unnecessarily manipulate voltages! so you dont have to worry about your vcore mode and leave it set for "adaptive" which is best..

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-boards-software-extreme-tuning-utility.html

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Ok doing stress test right now, has only been five minutes but here are some numbers from RealTemp: Minimums are 70,69,65,57 Maximums are 81,78,73,66. Will Asus AI Suite III now says 68C. Will intel extreme tuning jumps from 80 to 70 ever other second. Once 30m test is complete I can post the log 

core sped 4.11ghz no overclock

Ok doing stress test right now, has only been five minutes but here are some numbers from RealTemp: Minimums are 70,69,65,57 Maximums are 81,78,73,66. Will Asus AI Suite III now says 68C. Will intel extreme tuning jumps from 80 to 70 ever other second. Once 30m test is complete I can post the log 

core sped 4.11ghz no overclock

your max core speed with no overclock should be 3.9GHz

use the IETU to monitor cpu frequency, post a screenshot. im not familiar with ai suite 3 so im not sure  how accurate the data is.

haswell temps are very jumpy.

i look at max core temp, but more importantly average temp.

the ietu displays both. if you hover the mouse over the cpu core temperature in the lower right corner.

6icn.png

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

your max core speed with no overclock should be 3.9GHz

use the IETU to monitor cpu frequency, post a screenshot. im not familiar with ai suite 3 so im not sure  how accurate the data is.

haswell temps are very jumpy.

i look at max core temp, but more importantly average temp.

the ietu displays both. if you hover the mouse over the cpu core temperature in the lower right corner.

Alright I attached two screenshots on show that CPU is running at 4.1ghz when doing a stress test. I have not done anyover clocking and the other with my temperatures. Should I apply different thermal paste I have only used the one that came on H80i

lrcy.jpg

pc0f.jpg

well asus seems to have done some overclocking for you

your cpu frequency is set to 43, 43, 42, 41 . at 1.224V. look at the proposed values in the ietu.

the stock values should be 39, 39,38, 37 at 1.150V

so your actually overclocked! that would explain the higher temps, which are ok for 1.224V on a h80i!

if you do want to overclock try clearing the cmos and testing again!

well asus seems to have done some overclocking for you

your cpu frequency is set to 43, 43, 42, 41 . at 1.224V. look at the proposed values in the ietu.

the stock values should be 39, 39,38, 37 at 1.150V

so your actually overclocked! that would explain the higher temps, which are ok for 1.224V on a h80i!

if you do want to overclock try clearing the cmos and testing again!

Well shit, Asus doing my job for me xD thanks for the help. Will clear cmos and test again

if you want to see if you have stability with this mild overclock , or any overclock! run the ietu stress test for a minimum of 8- 24 hours.

asus does a fairly good job with automated overclocking in my opinion, however for your best results always do things manually, thru the bios.

you could check out my guide which focuses on a strong  4.4GHz overclock.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

if your not into overclocking i would suggest your clear your cmos and revert to stock defaults, your cpu temp will drop!

if you want to see if you have stability with this mild overclock , or any overclock! run the ietu stress test for a minimum of 8- 24 hours.

asus does a fairly good job with automated overclocking in my opinion, however for your best results always do things manually, thru the bios.

you could check out my guide which focuses on a strong  4.4GHz overclock.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

if your not into overclocking i would suggest your clear your cmos and revert to stock defaults, your cpu temp will drop!

Thank man, I will look into your guide.