Is my msi 970 DOA too?

My 390 was DOA and now my 970 seems to be DOA as well. I have a z97 mobo, my old 550 ti works just fine. When I first booted it said please plug in the power cable so I use the 8 pin adapter then it booted to a black screen and my mobo explorer isnt even showing its plugged in

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

My 390 was DOA and now my 970 seems to be DOA as well. I have a z97 mobo, my old 550 ti works just fine. When I first booted it said please plug in the power cable so I use the 8 pin adapter then it booted to a black screen and my mobo explorer isnt even showing its plugged in

What motherboard do you have? Gaming 5 from MSI or Gigabyte?

What motherboard do you have? Gaming 5 from MSI or Gigabyte?

MSI gaming 5

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

MSI gaming 5

Okay, if you would have said Gigabyte then that would have been your problem, but I'm not sure about MSI's current build quality(based off of two dead GPU's I'd say not good trololol). Honestly I'm not sure how I could explain two DOA's with two different GPU's, maybe its MSI, maybe its user error of some form(like a faulty PSU), or maybe its just your systems way of saying that you don't need to upgrade from your 550 ti(lol). You could try a different brand I guess.

Okay, if you would have said Gigabyte then that would have been your problem, but I'm not sure about MSI's current build quality(based off of two dead GPU's I'd say not good trololol). Honestly I'm not sure how I could explain two DOA's with two different GPU's, maybe its MSI, maybe its user error of some form(like a faulty PSU), or maybe its just your systems way of saying that you don't need to upgrade from your 550 ti(lol). You could try a different brand I guess.

I think this is the last time I'm going to be purchasing a MSI GPU. This is ridiculous, two completely different  GPU's and both of them won't work, I should mention the GPU had finger prints all over the heatsink when I opened it and the driver CD paper sleeve was all messed up.

MSI get your s**t together and up your quality control. 

Forgot to mention on both GPUs I bought the MSI logo lights up.

Sorry, I just realized I posted this in the wrong section, I must have mis-clicked.

Well adapters aren't the way to go. They kinda work, but...

Also make sure it's not the actual PCI-E slot on your motherboard.

I got it fixed folks, I made a silly mistake that deserves a billion facepalms :D