Haswell CPU coolers compatible with Skylake? (Update)

Go to solution Solved by ttam,

Yes. My 1150 coolers fit the sample 1151's I have

Hello! I'm buying an i7 6700k in the next few days but the store says it doesn't come with a cooler (it's the boxed version) for some reason. Will it work if I buy a cheap cooler like the Arctic Alpine Pro Rev.2 and buy a better one later? Motherboard is Asus Z170-P/D3

Update: Should I get the Alpine 11 pro rev.2? I'll be using it for a month or two and get a H60 or H100i after that. It's pretty much the only cooler I could find that's good and cheap ... I thought my CPU would come with a cooler.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

Hello! I'm buying an i7 6700k in the next few days but the store says it doesn't come with a cooler (it's the boxed version) for some reason. Will it work if I buy a cheap cooler like the Arctic Alpine Pro Rev.2 and buy a better one later? Motherboard is Asus Z170-P/D3

I believe they're all compatible. I think they use the same mounting hardware (although I might be thinking about something else...)

most feedback ive seen says the mounting hardware is the same and also all 6xxxk models dont come with stock coolers

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

Yes. My 1150 coolers fit the sample 1151's I have

Just what I needed! Thanks mate.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

don't think they've changed the cooler since first gen core i (probably even earlier than that)

You said it right, but not earlier. First "core i", nehalem but socket 1156 uses the same cooler mount as other 115x

This is a signature.

You said it right, but not earlier. First "core i", nehalem but socket 1156 uses the same cooler mount as other 115x

but i think i saw in scrapyard wars 1 that the q6600 uses the same cooler

but i think i saw in scrapyard wars 1 that the q6600 uses the same cooler

The heatsink (the "chunk of metal") is about the same, but the holes for the pushpins aren't in the same position. For 115x distance is 75 mm, for socket 775 is 72 mm

This is a signature.

Sorry to bring this up again , Is the Arctic Alpine 11 Pro Rev.2 good for my 6700k? I won't do any OC'ing or any cpu-heavy tasks until I buy a better cooler. There's a store nearby that sells them for 7 euro which is all what I have left atm >.> I could buy a H60 or H100i after like month or two.