Solo 2 vs Se215

Merc.

I would bet money that Ellis_D has never tried the ABX test on Foobar2000 (or something similar) and I bet that he/she would not be able to tell the difference between 320kbps mp3 and .wav/any other lossless codec, no matter the sound hardware used (so long as it remains the same for the different formats).

That's a pretty bold assumption considering I was arguing that OP would have potential issues with the device, not his 320kbps codec.  All I'm trying to say is that it's pointless for him to spend 300 Euro on a pair of headphones when he's going to be using them with with either an S5 or a cheap HP laptop. I'm also confused why you're calling my claim about the S5 "BS" while backing up my argument by admitting it's not an ideal solution for audio.

And yes, the 'cable over ear' trick mitigates microphonics slightly but it doesn't eliminate the problem completely and I've personally found wearing ear buds that way while working out is far more annoying than it's worth.  Not to mention, I really only feel microphonics is a real issue when you're sitting down in a quiet environment and you're really trying to focus on the music.  Thus, this is why I don't like ear buds unless I'm active in a way that conventional headphones would fall off my head.  I also find earbuds far less comfortable than normal headphones.

But seriously, I really don't understand your hostile tone to me voicing my opinion.  All I'm trying to say is that with his current audio setup, he has no strong reason to max out his budget on the best headphones when he really won't necessarily hear the benefits of them.  He might be able squeeze out 10% better sound quality but it will come at 200% the price.  Seriously, for 300 Euro, he can cover both his bases and get a decent set of earbuds and a decent set of Cans, that way, he wouldn't have to deal with bulk when at the gym and he wouldn't have to deal with the annoyances of using earbuds at a computer.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

That's a pretty bold assumption considering I was arguing that OP would have potential issues with the device, not his 320kbps codec.  All I'm trying to say is that it's pointless for him to spend 300 Euro on a pair of headphones when he's going to be using them with with either an S5 or a cheap HP laptop. I'm also confused why you're calling my claim about the S5 "BS" while backing up my argument by admitting it's not an ideal solution for audio.

I use my $500 Westone 4R with a normal smartphone (oneplus one) and unless you try hard to distinguish the sound in a quiet environment, you can't differ oneplus one and O2 amp driving the IEM. @Kevinkevcrew argued the S5's output impedance might be too high, which is why he found it to sound worse compared to S6. He backed his argument.

@kevinkevcrew have you measured the S6's output impedance? Note 4 has a really nice 0.6-0.8 ohm output impedance (lower than astell&kern's) so I have high expectation for low output impedance on S6

Is there anyone that has SE215, have used them over 2 years, everyday, at least 2 hours in a day with stock shure cable without changing it to another.

I don't want to buy cables that are very expensive...

I've wore them almost everyday for over a year with at least 5 hours a day. I even wear them while in sleep (can't sleep without music). That's how much comfortable and durable it is. Like some said, the blue version has slightly more bass and in my setup, I have it paired with an E07K for added treble and bass. Replacement cable is pretty cheap tbh from what I can find on ebay. Mine is still working fine 

You're placing too much emphasis on dac affecting the sound quality when headphones/amp make a larger difference and source file makes the most difference.

For instance, I have a $50 pair of Sennheiser HD 203s (which aren't bad by any stretch) and a pair of $180 Audio Technica ATH-M50xs and when If I'm using either one with my HTC One, they sound almost identical because the audio source is the weakest link.  Now when I use both pairs with my PC with a decent amplified DAC, playing the exact same music files at the exact same bitrate, the Audio Technicas shine through and sound way better whereas the Sennheisers only sound marginally better than they did when playing off the phone.

But yeah, I'm going to call bs too unless the HTC One's dac is pure crap. I've ran Th-900 through my Note 4 (though admittedly has a decent dac for a phone) and onboard card and it's still fairly enjoyable compared to my o2+odac or hp-a8. Unless I'm doing a side-by-side testing of the same exact song I doubt I would notice what it was plugged into.

I use my $500 Westone 4R with a normal smartphone (oneplus one) and unless you try hard to distinguish the sound in a quiet environment, you can't differ oneplus one and O2 amp driving the IEM. @Kevinkevcrew argued the S5's output impedance might be too high, which is why he found it to sound worse compared to S6. He backed his argument.

@kevinkevcrew have you measured the S6's output impedance? Note 4 has a really nice 0.6-0.8 ohm output impedance (lower than astell&kern's) so I have high expectation for low output impedance on S6

I haven't yet. I've been too lazy to cut a 3.5mm cable apart as of yet. Also, haven't gotten around to RTFM for my oscilloscope...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

No, I'm not saying that at all but rather, I wouldn't spend a fortune on high-end headphoens.  I'd say the $100 USD range is probably going to be the sweet spot before you see diminishing returns on the sound your setup can produce.

And the issue isn't in the bitrate, but rather the sound processor and DAC on those devices.  They're just not designed to process high-end audio.  Even if you start off with 24/192 HD Audio  files, they'll still be processed in a way that only produces mid-range sound.  The issue with pairing a set of high-end headphones with a mid-range DAC is that the headphones can only deliver what was put into them.  They won't magically make bad audio sound better.

For instance, I have a $50 pair of Sennheiser HD 203s (which aren't bad by any stretch) and a pair of $180 Audio Technica ATH-M50xs and when If I'm using either one with my HTC One, they sound almost identical because the audio source is the weakest link.  Now when I use both pairs with my PC with a decent amplified DAC, playing the exact same music files at the exact same bitrate, the Audio Technicas shine through and sound way better whereas the Sennheisers only sound marginally better than they did when playing off the phone.

Just read this. I'm tired of people owning M50Xs, claiming they know technical details about audio reproduction when they don't know a crap about it. Many people here own headphones / iem that cost more than M50x and we're happy enough to use it with our smartphones. creatip123 runs his HE-400 out of an old candybar phone. Kaminkevcrew runs SE535 from his smartphone and probably he's going to run $800 iem with it too.

I haven't yet. I've been too lazy to cut a 3.5mm cable apart as of yet. Also, haven't gotten around to RTFM for my oscilloscope...

:(

Just read this. I'm tired of people owning M50Xs, claiming they know technical details about audio reproduction when they don't know a crap about it. Many people here own headphones / iem that cost more than M50x and we're happy enough to use it with our smartphones. creatip123 runs his HE-400 out of an old candybar phone. Kaminkevcrew runs SE535 from his smartphone and probably he's going to run $800 iem with it too.

:(

Hehe, 1200 if we're talking full price ;) I also ran my he500 off of my gs6, and it was fine! Only thing was that full phone volume was about my normal listening level for them, but it was perfect for me!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

If the budget reaches up to 300 euro, OP should absolutely go for the SE425.

Well it is the OP's money, I would go for the 215s based on his earlier statement:

I'm going to use my headphones for everything. From gaming to gym basically. IEMs are not good for gaming I guess.

I am a student so I want quality with low price.

Well it is the OP's money, I would go for the 215s based on his earlier statement:

Why the 215 over the 425?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

W30 > 425 ;)

I've never listened to the w30, but I've owned the 425 [emoji14]

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Just tried Vsonic VSD3S and holy crap they sound fantastic for $50, better than SE215 IMO

Just tried Vsonic VSD3S and holy crap they sound fantastic for $50, better than SE215 IMO

They are supposed to be really really good for the price, that's why I've been suggesting them to people :)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

They are supposed to be really really good for the price, that's why I've been suggesting them to people :)

They sound 60-75% of my westone 4R with strikingly similiar sound signature. More boomy slower bass, slightly more forward on the mids, there are some sibilances though it could because of the fit. 

It makes SE215 sound congested and veiled

They sound 60-75% of my westone 4R with strikingly similiar sound signature. More boomy slower bass, slightly more forward on the mids, there are some sibilances though it could because of the fit.

It makes SE215 sound congested and veiled

Yeah, plus there's a version with removable cables for about ten dollars more, so you really don't miss out on much of anything!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

After long thinking and reading reviews I decided to go with Beats. You can suggest best Beats headphones Here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/427899-best-beats-headphones/

Why even ask us if you're going to go for the product that nobody recommended anyway?

Hey! New SIgnature!