I upgraded to windows 10, now to get it onto an ssd

Sdot

Right now I am downloading windows 10 onto a usb drive. I did do the upgrade and currently have windows 10 on my hdd but want to have a fresh install on my ssd.

Will I need to find the windows 10 license key or can I just fresh install it and be okay?

After I find out whether or not I will need a key, my plan is to:

1. Turn the computer off, switch the hdd sata power cable and sata II (Sata II unfortunately because my mobo is 6 years old, should still be a lot faster than this HDD though) data cable and plug it into the ssd.

2. plug in the usb and boot up. (I assume the computer will ask me what I want to boot from when it realizes the ssd is fresh out the box) Actually, do I need to format it first while my PC is on?

Pls tell me if I cam correct so far. Thanks guys and gals.

Right now I am downloading windows 10 onto a usb drive. I did do the upgrade and currently have windows 10 on my hdd but want to have a fresh install on my ssd.

Will I need to find the windows 10 license key or can I just fresh install it and be okay?

After I find out whether or not I will need a key, my plan is to:

1. Turn the computer off, switch the hdd sata power cable and sata II (Sata II unfortunately because my mobo is 6 years old, should still be a lot faster than this HDD though) data cable and plug it into the ssd.

2. plug in the usb and boot up. (I assume the computer will ask me what I want to boot from when it realizes the ssd is fresh out the box) Actually, do I need to format it first while my PC is on?

Pls tell me if I cam correct so far. Thanks guys and gals.

I am in the same situation as you.

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

I am in the same situation as you.

well lets figure this out together sweetheart lol

"Your USB flash drive is ready"

Alright I'm good to go, so now I'm just waiting to hear from the community so that I do this correctly.

well lets figure this out together sweetheart lol

"Your USB flash drive is ready"

Alright I'm good to go, so now I'm just waiting to hear from the community so that I do this correctly.

I am going to boot from the usb when my sdd gets here later today and chose to format the hard drive in the partition section, but I am not sure about the product key.

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

I am going to boot from the usb when my sdd gets here later today and chose to format the hard drive in the partition section, but I am not sure about the product key.

I've got to figure out that partition thing later, for now I remember reading its best to unplug the hdd while I install the OS onto the ssd. You probably know better than me though. It's a 1TB WD HDD that I purchased in 2009. I'm gonna start fresh and format it later. I can do it inside the OS right?

As long as your upgrade to Windows 10 activated then when you go to do the fresh install on the SSD it will activate over the internet without requiring you to enter a key.

As long as your upgrade to Windows 10 activated then when you go to do the fresh install on the SSD it will activate over the internet without requiring you to enter a key.

My windows 10 won't activate I get try again later.

I've got to figure out that partition thing later, for now I remember reading its best to unplug the hdd while I install the OS onto the ssd. You probably know better than me though. It's a 1TB WD HDD that I purchased in 2009. I'm gonna start fresh and format it later. I can do it inside the OS right?

Don't boot usb it will show all of the hard drives and partitions delete all the partitions off the hard drive(every thing will be gone) then choose to create the new partitions on the sdd. Then you will be able to use your hard drive for some stuff that you don't want on your sdd.

How do I know if it activated or not?

My windows 10 won't activate I get try again later.

How do I know if it activated or not?

settings-updates and security-activation

Don't boot usb it will show all of the hard drives and partitions delete all the partitions off the hard drive(every thing will be gone) then choose to create the new partitions on the sdd. Then you will be able to use your hard drive for some stuff that you don't want on your sdd.

I just created the windows installation thing onto a usb drive, are you saying don't do that? Not sure what you mean.

settings-updates and security-activation

Yup, it says Windows is activated.

I just created the windows installation thing onto a usb drive, are you saying don't do that? Not sure what you mean.

Do that and boot from it and delete the partition of the old hard drive which will clear it of all data.

I feel like I should get the key just in case before I do this.

I feel like I should get the key just in case before I do this.

It's a good idea. Remember don't get the id get the key.

It's a good idea. Remember don't get the id get the key.

What program should I use that will show me the key?

Edit: Nevermind, it says there is no key when you upgrade from 8.1

Edit #2: well, I'm going to go try this clean install now. Wish me luck.

I know how to get key to show.

I know how to get key to show.

How?

Also, I plugged in the ssd and went into the bios but didn't see anything pertaining to "Boot from usb" :(

How?

Also, I plugged in the ssd and went into the bios but didn't see anything pertaining to "Boot from usb" :(

Use this http://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/. Was there anything saying boot order?

Yes, I found it. I just did the installation process.

Great everything working ok?

Great everything working ok?

I'm in the desktop and everything looks good.

I'm in the desktop and everything looks good.

Did you need the product key? Also just curious, but what ssd are you using.

Did you need the product key? Also just curious, but what ssd are you using.

I did not need the product key, and it is an ssd made by crucial

I am having trouble now though, I cannot access the hard drive.