Now that Skylake's out, what options do I have for a sub-$120 (US) CPU?

Now that Skylake's out, what the wisest choice for for a sub-$120 (US) CPU? 

This is for a Mini-ITX system so sadly AM3+ is out of the question, and it's going to be used for gaming as well as engineering software (not too demanding).

The intended lifetime of the PC is 3 years with an upgrade down the line. I'd rather not spend $200+ on a motherboard and DDR4.

Yeah, we got that overclockable Pentium G3258 we like to call the Pentium K, and I got a handful of Intel i3s, BUT these are LGA1150 so the motherboard coulde be outdated in about 2 years, right?

There's also the FM2+ socket from AMD, is that even an alternative?

I guess it comes down to LGA1150 vs. FM2+ vs. waiting 6+ months

Will LGA1150 (and 16GB of DDR3 RAM) ever limit a system in the next 3 years?

This is for a Mini-ITX system so sadly AM3+ is out of the question, and it's going to be used for gaming as well as engineering software (not too demanding).

The intended lifetime of the PC is 3 years with an upgrade down the line. I'd rather not spend $200+ on a motherboard and DDR4.

Yeah, we got that overclockable Pentium G3258 we like to call the Pentium K, and I got a handful of Intel i3s, BUT these are LGA1150 so the motherboard coulde be outdated in about 2 years, right?

There's also the FM2+ socket from AMD, is that even an alternative?

I guess it comes down to LGA1150 vs. FM2+ vs. waiting 6+ months

That ram speed is good enough!

System: CPU - I5-6500 Motherboard - Asus B150M-A RAM - Crucial ballistix sport 2x4GB DDR4 @2400MHz GPU - RX 480 PSU - Seasonic S12II 520W Case - Aerocool Aero-800 HDD - Seagate 1TB SSD - PNY CS1311 120GB Monitor - AOC G2260VWQ6

Considering 1st gen core i5s are just now being outdated, I'd give the lifespan of these newer chips about 6+ years.

Woo!

The FM2+ socket is ancient.

Also, in the next 3 years. I think you may be pushing it a bit, but LGA1150 would still be completely viable.

Heck, i'm still using LGA775

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

It entirely depends on what you plan to do with your machine, and of course, things that we can't forsee. We can't tell the future. For all we know you might very well need a more powerful machine a lot sooner than 2 years.

For most uses, I'd just grab an i3 and call it a day. Same performance as the G3258, but you don't need a fancy motherboard or cooler. (I know you don't technically for the Pentium, but to get the results out of it that are desirable you probably should).

Just get the highest clocked one you can afford.

I would avoid AMD. Much worse performance.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Yeah, the thing I don't like about the Pentium is that even though you can overclock it, you need a fancy motherboard for it (unless you trust your manufacturer to give you overclock on a chipset that's not made for that). Plus it's straight dual core, some games are starting to complain about it. I KNOW right now this is probably an artificial limitation or that games could have been optimized, but in 2-3 years I can see game developers not even bothering to support dual core, because it's extra programming and optimization for older hardware. Yeah, and being Mini-ITX I need a decent cooler unless I get a Pentium from a very good batch.

Some of you pointed out that Sandy Bridge is 6 years old (well, it was released 4 years ago), and it is still performing well (I'm guessing you're talking about the more expensive i5 and i7 here). I guess I would need a CPU upgrade down the line in 3 years if that's the case.

At this point I'm hoping to overhaul or replace the system in 3-5 years. That may or may not include an upgrade between year 1 and 2. Really depends on how well my component selection worked out.

I wonder why AMD is so stuck behind and their solution is to throw half-cooked cores at the problem.

Heck, i'm still using LGA775

Can you get into the details?

LGA-1150 won't, generally speaking, but a $120 CPU might. If it was a Haswell i5 or i7, I'd say no. But an i3 may not have the same useful lifespan.

That's the limitation of the budget, though. An i3 is the best gaming CPU you can get within $120 right now.

Intel has yet to release the i3 and Pentium lineup for Skylake, should be coming around the end of September or early October. Considering you could pick up i3-4370's for ~$120 I would presume that will still be the sweet spot for the price bracket. Tacking on Skylake's 10-15% IPC improvement just makes it a more attractive option.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

LGA-1150 won't, generally speaking, but a $120 CPU might. If it was a Haswell i5 or i7, I'd say no. But an i3 may not have the same useful lifespan.

That's the limitation of the budget, though. An i3 is the best gaming CPU you can get within $120 right now.

I'd have to buy an i5 down the line I would guess, and these CPUs don't come down in price just because they are old. That's what gets me.

The reason for that is that because of their larger geometry (say 22nm, fro example) it takes the same area of silicon to achieve what they are doing in less area on a newer, smaller geometry. And when dealing with silicon, you always pay for how much area you get in your chip.

The main reason why I'm considering i3s is that after US$200 I get taxed 18% on any import I make.

Can you get into the details?

I have a core 2 duo and a GT610.

Runs CSGO at 60fps.

Works for me.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White