"weird" wi-fi speeds

ciprian97pop

I was just transfering some stuff from my pc to my laptop and the speeds seem quite "decent"(the pc is wired to the router and the laptop uses wifi)

I get about 5mb/s which i think that is pretty good

but now looking in the task manager i see something weird

My router is a TP-Link TL-WR740N which is classified as a 150mbs N router but when I check the network in the thask manager this is what it shows:

Untitled.png

Right there under the name of the wireless adapter, shouldn't it be 150mbs if it's an N router?(another proof would be the fact that next to the Connection tipe it says that it;s 802,11n)

I know that is a cheap router and i can't expect much from it, but is there a way to at least try to troubleshoot this?

Thank you ^^

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

how far away

if your right next to the router then something is shitting it self.

if your across the house then that seems ok.

and also could be the laptops strength 

how far away

i'm literally sitting next to it

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

the actual transfer speed depends on what kind of internet u are subscribed to

if u do have internet  40MB bandwidth it would equal to 5mb/s ,  it doesnt matter if ur router can handle 100mb/s or 1000mb/s if ur on a 40mb subscription aka 5mb/s it will always be limited to 5mb/s

besides that, the actual speed on wifi is never optimized and u need to take channel conflicts into consideration even when sitting next to it

also keep in mind that wifi connections will never be fully stable on speed and always vary ( due to it beeing wireless ), cable will always be superior to wireless

(◑‿◐)

i'm literally sitting next to it

plug both via Ethernet as a benchmark.

What kind of file?

are you transfering a file or downloading over the internet?

if your internet speed is that then your fine.

Was this only after the Windows 10 "upgrade"?

When I upgraded, every test I now do ends up in the upper 60s for DL and ~8 for UL, which is down from my ~88/12 when I tested with Windows 8.1

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

plug both via Ethernet as a benchmark.

What kind of file?

are you transfering a file or downloading over the internet?

if your internet speed is that then your fine.

gonna try that tomorrow morning

a bunch of folders with files differing in size from a few megs to 2-3gb

721bb34a12.png

It varies doesn't it? 

EDIT: I think it's just broken on my PC... 

ohh.... i'm.. speechless

gonna try that tomorrow morning

ohh.... i'm.. speechless

Yeah it does: 

1948e42ea3.png

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Was this only after the Windows 10 "upgrade"?

When I upgraded, every test I now do ends up in the upper 60s for DL and ~8 for UL, which is down from my ~88/12 when I tested with Windows 8.1

my measured speed has stayed the same.

Couple of more questions we need answered.  Go into your router setup and what is your channel width?  Wireless actually depends on this a great deal.  For example, the new 802.11ac stuff advertises somewhere around Gig speeds but you'll only get those w/80 Mhz channels.  If you're using 40 Mhz channels, your theoretical max is 450Mbps, same as N 5Ghz.  

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

Couple of more questions we need answered.  Go into your router setup and what is your channel width?  Wireless actually depends on this a great deal.  For example, the new 802.11ac stuff advertises somewhere around Gig speeds but you'll only get those w/80 Mhz channels.  If you're using 40 Mhz channels, your theoretical max is 450Mbps, same as N 5Ghz.  

it's set on auto but it has two other options

20mhz and 40mhz

The listed "maximums" for WiFi standards are theoretical and in no way reflect real world performance. With headers, trailers, padding, interference, CSMA/CA, and STDM layered on top of the rated "theoretical maximum", real world speeds are just far lower.

Here's a chart I ripped from an Aruba Network whitepaper on 802.11AC  http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/whitepapers/WP_80211acInDepth.pdf

802.11ac Theoretical Link Rates

Channel bandwidth             Transmit – Receive antennas           Modulation and coding                           Typical client scenario               Throughput

40 MHz                                1x1                                                    256-QAM 5/6, short guard interval           Smartphone                             200 Mbps

40 MHz                                3x3                                                    256-QAM 5/6, short guard interval           Laptop                                      600 Mbps

80 MHz                                1x1                                                    256-QAM 5/6, short guard interval           Smartphone, Tablet                 433 Mbps

80 MHz                                2x2                                                    256-QAM 5/6, short guard interval           Laptop, Tablet                          867 Mbps

80 MHz                                3x3                                                    256-QAM 5/6, short guard interval           Laptop                                      1.3 Gbps

it's set on auto but it has two other options

20mhz and 40mhz

How many wireless networks can you pick up in your area and how strong are their signals?  If your area's pretty clean, then switch over to 40 Mhz manually.  That should help but like Wombo said, the theoretical limits are absolute best case scenario.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB

1. The label at the top of the chart is just what the value at the top of the chart is. It scales depending on how heavy the traffic is over the time period your monitoring. Think about it, if you're on 10Mbps internet and you're connected to your LAN via Gigabit how useless would a chart with a range upto 1Gbps be? Same deal with the way they used to do it by measuring the "percentage". I mean how fast is "8%"? Especially with wireless where you link-speed can change by the second.

2. The numbers on the box don't mean much. They're a theoretical max for the total bandwidth you can get out of it. And from memory they include both UL and DL in that number. So when they say "150" on the box don't read that as 150Mbps because it's not. Even more true with dual-band products because they add up all the bands when in reality you can only really connect to one at a time. With N150? From my experience you can expect around 40Mbps or so, then it drops from there as you add more devices and distance.

3. The people pointing to wireless AC and channel width. The thing is N150, none of those things apply. I don't know where OP is getting the 40Hz option from, I'm fairly sure that shouldn't exist on a N150 router. And anyway, good neighbours use 20Hz on the 2.4Ghz band anyways!

Solution: If OP wants to actually get 150Mbps real world performance? They need a AC1200 access point AND client (i.e. 300N + 900AC)....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

3. The people pointing to wireless AC and channel width. The thing is N150, none of those things apply. I don't know where OP is getting the 40Hz option from, I'm fairly sure that shouldn't exist on a N150 router. And anyway, good neighbours use 20Hz on the 2.4Ghz band anyways!

My point in citing AC specs was to show how differing configurations and such yield far less than the theoretical max and as to why I used AC specs it was the easiest for me to find at the moment.

Current Rig

My point in citing AC specs was to show how differing configurations and such yield far less than the theoretical max and as to why I used AC specs it was the easiest for me to find at the moment.

N150 is N150 because it's only using 20MHz. That's what N150 is. So there shouldn't be an option to allow 40MHz....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing