NAS Recommendation?

SwiiftYz

As I'm completely new to the NAS scene at the moment I'll explain my situation and what I hope to achieve. If I word this badly I apologize!

Currently I only have one PC in the house but I'm looking to add a Mac Mini & Intel Compute Stick in other rooms and would like the Mac Mini to be running Plex Media Server 24/7 so that it can be accessed via the other devices in the house such as consoles etc while storing my data on the NAS. 

As I have no knowledge with NAS at all right now, what would be the best solution for me? Price-wise I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible as the Mac is already setting me back enough. I already have 1 WD Red HDD that I can place in the NAS but as It's only 1TB would I be better off getting a 2 Bay NAS and If so what brand, model etc? 

Thanks in advanced and sorry for all the beginner questions!

CPU: i7 4770K @ 4.4Ghz | Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: 2x MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V 4GB | Case: Corsair Carbide 500R | Storage: 256GB Samsung Pro SSD | NAS: D-LINK DNS320L w/ 2x 3TB WDB | PSU: Corsair HX750 | Display: 27" ROG Swift PG278Q + 27" ASUS MX279H | Cooling: Corsair H100i | Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGB | Mouse: Razer Deathadder (2013) | Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZX | Headset: V-MODA M100 | DAC:  SMSL SD 793II DAC | Speakers: Logitech Z5000

Do you want to hook up the intel stick as a NAS?

I don't know about that but If you need a cheap(relatively) NAS go with a rasberry pi

http://lifehacker.com/5988835/turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-low-power-nas

EDIT: this is assuming personal usage. for business / if you need high speed it is not the best.

//Does not work. Needs fixing

Do you want to hook up the intel stick as a NAS?

I don't know about that but If you need a cheap(relatively) NAS go with a rasberry pi

http://lifehacker.com/5988835/turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-low-power-nas

EDIT: this is assuming personal usage. for business / if you need high speed it is not the best.

I would like to have the Intel Compute Stick have access to the NAS, yes. 

I'm not sure the Raspberry Pi would suit my needs considering the amount of storage I'm going to be needing eventually, I wouldn't be able to add my current SATA drive.

CPU: i7 4770K @ 4.4Ghz | Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: 2x MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V 4GB | Case: Corsair Carbide 500R | Storage: 256GB Samsung Pro SSD | NAS: D-LINK DNS320L w/ 2x 3TB WDB | PSU: Corsair HX750 | Display: 27" ROG Swift PG278Q + 27" ASUS MX279H | Cooling: Corsair H100i | Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGB | Mouse: Razer Deathadder (2013) | Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZX | Headset: V-MODA M100 | DAC:  SMSL SD 793II DAC | Speakers: Logitech Z5000

I would like to have the Intel Compute Stick have access to the NAS, yes. 

I'm not sure the Raspberry Pi would suit my needs considering the amount of storage I'm going to be needing eventually, I wouldn't be able to add my current SATA drive.

You add external hard drives to the pi

since the compute stick runs windows it will be able to access any properly set up NAS if they are both on the same Wifi.

You add external hard drives to the pi

since the compute stick runs windows it will be able to access any properly set up NAS if they are both on the same Wifi.

How exactly do you go about connecting a SATA drive to the RPI?

I'm assuming all I'd need is the following then?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-Model-Desktop-Quad-Linux/dp/B00T2U7R7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438569135&sr=8-1&keywords=raspberry+pi+2

Along with a case to house it.

How exactly do you go about connecting a SATA drive to the RPI?

I'm assuming all I'd need is the following then?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-Model-Desktop-Quad-Linux/dp/B00T2U7R7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438569135&sr=8-1&keywords=raspberry+pi+2

Along with a case to house it.

most people use a usb drive. It talked about it in the article i linked earlier. You can use a sata -> usb adapter.

most people use a usb drive. It talked about it in the article i linked earlier. You can use a sata -> usb adapter.

Hmm, I was previously looking at this: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2-bay-d-link-sharecenter-pulse-dns-320l-cloud-network-storage-enclosure-sata-hdd

It only comes in at £10 more than the Raspberry Pi unit on It's own, would this not be suitable to house the HDDs and then use the Mac Mini to run Plex Media Server?

That works out far too expensive for me Zexen, I need to keep it as cheap as possible considering I already need to purchase a new Mac Mini.

Hmm, I was previously looking at this: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2-bay-d-link-sharecenter-pulse-dns-320l-cloud-network-storage-enclosure-sata-hdd

It only comes in at £10 more than the Raspberry Pi unit on It's own, would this not be suitable to house the HDDs and then use the Mac Mini to run Plex Media Server?

That works out far too expensive for me Zexen, I need to keep it as cheap as possible considering I already need to purchase a new Mac Mini.

looks fine. I have never used it so I cant help with that. If you already have regular Sata drives that might be best too.

looks fine. I have never used it so I cant help with that. If you already have regular Sata drives that might be best too.

My main worry was that wasn't going to be what I was looking for, as I said I know nothing of NAS at the moment but I'd prefer to stick with SATA drives than having to use USB as It just seems more hassle and the price point is fairly similar. 

Thanks for the help.

check out Synology. my 4-bay NAS still works just fine after 5 years. i also like Drobo with the thunderbolt connector, but that can get pricey.

sounds like overall, a 2-bay NAS would be OK for your needs. works best on a wired GbE switched LAN to at least the Mac Mini.

Define R5 Black Window || i5 4690K || Scythe Kotetsu || Asus Maximus VII Gene || Kingston Fury 8GB || EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 || EVGA G2 750W || SSD/HDD/ODD

Synology would be the easiest and simplest solution for a home or small business user without dedicated IT staff.

Is it the best solution? No; at least not if you want to run custom server software on it. (Not sure if Plex runs on it or not)

Is it dead easy to setup and maintain? You bet your butt it is.

I was quite surprised they even include a web server with native installations of certain blogging and forum board software.

This being said, if you want something more custom, then go for a RaspberryPi or even build a small custom server ITX-based PC as @ZexenPro suggested.

BUT BE PREPARED TO LEARN :D

It can be challenging, but after a few years you'll get it. I've had no formal schooling on servers, networking, or advanced IT configuration, and yet I can solve even some problems my friends went through 2 years of school for.

Just dedicate your time to it where possible and build a custom solution.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

~snip~

Hey SwiiftYz,

I could suggest checking out WD's NAS options and see which of them would meet your needs budget-wise and which have the required functionality: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=qt0AD8
I would check out WD My Cloud Mirror for simple storage and 2 HDD bays. 
Also, connecting a drive to a router is what basically a NAS is and you can configure it in order to access it over the network (if your router supports that and has a USB port). :) You can use the WD Red in an enclosure and use it through the router. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/