How would I go about making a bootable Windows (XP) CD?

Yummychickenblue
Go to solution Solved by msevilgenius,

You can't boot from that disk because it is just service pack 3 not the whole OS, i.e. you use it to update an existing XP installation to SP3.

If you want an XP install disk you'll probably have to find a second hand one on ebay or something...

Ok so I have a bunch of old laptops I need to reset but I don't have a Windows XP install disc to do so with. I've tried downloading this ISO http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=25129 and burning an image into a disc. Doing that doesn't let me boot off of it, and it looks like it only installs SP3 onto an existing computer anyway. Burning a USB would work too.

Ubuntu on a USB stick will allow you to reset the PCs, if by that you mean wipe the drives, of course.

you need to format the disk before loading a bootable piece of software onto it. use disk utility if you're on OS X or disk management if you're on windows

You can't boot from that disk because it is just service pack 3 not the whole OS, i.e. you use it to update an existing XP installation to SP3.

If you want an XP install disk you'll probably have to find a second hand one on ebay or something...

I remain,  

msevilgenius

You cna't boot from that disk because it is just service pack 3 not the whole OS, i.e. you use it to update an existing XP installation to SP3.

Alright thanks.