Moving from 60hz 5ms. Opinions?

DaftBehemoth

I'm currently using some simple Asus 21.5", 1080p, 60hz, 5ms gtg, TN monitors. A while ago I kinda started feeling the need to upgrade and I was originally planning on upgrading to some 2560x1440 IPS or PLS monitors (probably the Asus 27"). However, I've been interested in getting a faster panel for a very long time and the brands I trust simply don't offer high res PLS or IPS 120hz panels. In the end, I've more or less decided that I'd rather spend less money on some new, larger 1080p monitors with better specs. It would cost about $1,700 to get three WQHD monitors while three fast 1080p monitors would be $900 at most. I'm willing to pass up IPS and PLS panels for now, though I really hope we get the best of both worlds someday.

The choices: 

- Benq XL2420T: http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2420T-Professional-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B006HIKIG0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1375467111&sr=8-3&keywords=24%22+benq

- 24" 1080p

- 2ms gtg

- 120hz   

- $299.99

- Asus VG248QE: http://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-24-Inch-Screen-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375467173&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+144hz

- 24" 1080p

- 1ms gtg

- 144hz   

- $263.99

The first question is: Which monitor would you choose? I hear people raving about the Benq monitors, but the Asus one has better specs and costs less. Plus I can't say that my current Asus monitors have ever caused a problem for me. 

The second question: What's it like to have a fast display while running a game at a frame rate under its refresh rate? Is it the same as the slow down I feel when my games dip below 60fps on my 60hz display? My computer runs BF3 at about 130fps average on Ultra depending on the map, so BF4 will most likely be a little under that. Does anyone think that'll be a problem? I know I can just drop settings, but I'm just curious if I'll notice framerate changes when my fps fluctuates between 60 and 144fps. I'm pretty sensitive to framerate changes. 

Anyone have experience with the switch to 120hz or higher? I'm sorry if this is a little long-winded. I can be picky sometimes :)

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

1st Question: The ASUS one. It's universally better than the Benq one. I don't even see why it's a question. I might be missing something. They are both 24" 1080p while the ASUS one is 144Hz, has 1ms gtg and is $26 cheaper.

Am I missing something?

Can't answer 2nd question as I don't have experience with it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

However, I've been interested in getting a faster panel for a very long time and the brands I trust simply don't offer high res PLS or IPS 120hz panels. In the end, I've more or less decided that I'd rather spend less money on some new, larger 1080p monitors with better specs. It would cost about $1,700 to get three WQHD monitors while three fast 1080p monitors would be $900 at most. I'm willing to pass up IPS and PLS panels for now, though I really hope we get the best of both worlds someday.

IPS/PLS just isn't physically capable of switching images at 120Hz. That would be why you didn't find any  ;). You really have to be wary of the trade off though. Color replication and depth on an IPS panel is leaps and bounds (IMO) above anything else, even if I just stick with a 60Hz gaming session.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

1st Question: The ASUS one. It's universally better than the Benq one. I don't even see why it's a question. I might be missing something. They are both 24" 1080p while the ASUS one is 144Hz, has 1ms gtg and is $26 cheaper.

Am I missing something?

I don't think you are, which is why I ask. I think the obvious choice is the Asus monitor, I just know how well received Benq is when it comes to gaming monitors. 

I believe BenQ has a 1ms 144Hz monitor too.

They do, but it's $200 more than the Asus version. At that point, I think I'd just go for WQHD :P

IPS/PLS just isn't physically capable of switching images at 120Hz. That would be why you didn't find any  ;). You really have to be wary of the trade off though. Color replication and depth on an IPS panel is leaps and bounds (IMO) above anything else, even if I just stick with a 60Hz gaming session.

That's what I always hear. Unfortunately, I don't really have the means of comparing a PLS or IPS panel to a TN panel (I don't have any good stores in my area). All I can do is go off of specs and recommendations. Considering that I am pretty happy with the color on my current TN monitors, I THINK I can pass on the upgraded color reproduction for now. In the end, I'll never know until I can see each for myself :/

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

I just got the Asus VG248QE, I love it, no more screen tearing and every animation is so much smoother, even just moving windows or the mouse.

Going from a TN panel to an IPS/PLS panel is like going from a GTX 610 to a GTX Titan (IMO). I dont think there are any monitors that have better color accuracy than the Asus PA248Q for the same price. A+ grade IPS panel. Love it. I would choose the color over the 144 Hz refresh rate of any monitor.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

For your second question:

It's no big deal, running 90FPS with 144hz looks far smoother than 60FPS. As long as your framerate is above 80-90 it will be just fine ;)

I switched to the 27" asus 144hz monitor recently, at first I just moved windows around drooling at the smoothness of the motion, playing TF2 the first time with the monitor I just ran around as a scout and enjoyed the smoothness far too much ^^ It is a great experience :)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

For your second question:

It's no big deal, running 90FPS with 144hz looks far smoother than 60FPS. As long as your framerate is above 80-90 it will be just fine ;)

I switched to the 27" asus 144hz monitor recently, at first I just moved windows around drooling at the smoothness of the motion, playing TF2 the first time with the monitor I just ran around as a scout and enjoyed the smoothness far too much ^^ It is a great experience :)

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for :)

The asus ones are amazing, I have 3. Love it to death

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

If you're looking for a goof ips monitor at reasonable price and awesome color. Nothing beats the Asus PA248Q. It's 1920 x1200 and the response times aren't bad either. Just under 6.5 secs.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.