Thermal Paste on GPU...

Gary7

My R9 270x has the GPU die surrounded by a green area with lots of little silver dots on it. When i took off the cooler both these areas had thermal paste on them.

I cleaned this off and only put thermal paste on the die itself and not on the area surrounding it. Is this the correct way to do it or should i have made sure the whole area was covered??

Heres a picture of what I mean. Am i only supposed to put thermal paste on the silver part?

die.jpg

To the shiny part the middle square.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

I've tried adding thermal paste to the outer part a long time ago. No temp diff and it just makes a big mess. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Just a small pea sized blob of Thermal Paste in the middle of the silicon is all you need. :)

The little dots around on the green PCB are Capacitors, and do not need any thermal material on them. If you accidentally use electrically conductive thermal paste and smother the whole area with it, you would likely see big problems.

Gaming/Folding rig: Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced White | MSI Z77A-G43 | Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz | 10GB G.Skill RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 2TB | WD Blue 640GB | Cogage Arrow (Passive) | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w | Windows 10 Pro

Photography

Just a small pea sized blob of Thermal Paste in the middle of the silicon is all you need. :)

The little dots around on the green PCB are Capacitors, and do not need any thermal material on them. If you accidentally use electrically conductive thermal paste and smother the whole area with it, you would likely see big problems.

Does conductive thermal paste even exist?

Thanks guys. temps are running like 65-70 in wow but near 80 in path of exile which is really weird considering its only using like 500mb VRAM and wow is using 1600.

Both games run 90%+ GPU usage

Does conductive thermal paste even exist?

Well sort of, A lot of pastes use metal in the paste to help heat transfer, it's more of a capacitance than conduction, though there is a slim chance a short could occur. Better to be safe then sorry.

The Coollaboratory stuff is definitely conductive though. It's basically liquid metal.

Gaming/Folding rig: Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced White | MSI Z77A-G43 | Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz | 10GB G.Skill RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 2TB | WD Blue 640GB | Cogage Arrow (Passive) | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w | Windows 10 Pro

Photography

I heard the cross is safer. The dot is handy with a heat spreader but this is a die and if you miss a spot, you're boned.

I heard the cross is safer. The dot is handy with a heat spreader but this is a die and if you miss a spot, you're boned.

If you somehow manage to miss a spot on the die, then either you're using too little amount of TIM or your heatsink isn't flat. :P

That being said though, on the bigger GPU's I use the cross method with very small blobs in each "section", I just recently did this with my GTX 780, and that has a whoppingly huge die.

Photography

If you somehow manage to miss a spot on the die, then either you're using too little amount of TIM or your heatsink isn't flat. :P

Or you don't tighten the heat sink properly. Which is almost impossible.

Think I might re-apply tomorrow. Unless people say 70-75 degrees is acceptable on a non-reference cooler. Its a HIS R9 270X

01_his_h270xq2g2m.jpg

Those temps are fine, no need to mess around with it any further. :)

Photography

Unless you have an open air case, those are the temps that I would expect for that card. If it's under 85 degrees, it should be fine.