Build-Off Week 4: The Console Killer

Go to solution Solved by tk421,

CPU:  AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard:  Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($39.99 @ NCIX US) 
Memory:  Pareema 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card:  PowerColor Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card  ($243.98 @ Newegg) 
Wireless Network Adapter:  Encore ENUWI-G2 802.11b/g USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($2.99 @ Newegg) 
Case:  Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case  ($21.99 @ Microcenter) 
Other: Microsoft Wireless Controller ($34.17)
Total: $547.08
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-05 16:38 EDT-0400)

My thoughts:

I decided to get the best graphics card that I could for the price, since that would have the greatest impact in gaming performance.  The 7950 can handle just about anything.  Instead of the hexa-core CPUs others have listed, I went with a simple, yet capable quad-core FX-4300.  (Edit: BRING ON THE SIX CORE!)  I also went with 4GB of RAM instead of 8GB since most games can't even make use of 4GB.  I chose only one stick of RAM so that another could be added in the future.  For $550, this is easily the best performing gaming system you could buy.

I don't recall anyone running a 7950 off a cx430, let alone stable at load.

This. Also, good luck trying to install Windows/Xpadder/log in, etc. with only an Xbox 360 controller. 

I don't recall anyone running a 7950 off a cx430, let alone stable at load.

I thought the same thing until I looked at PSU calculators.  At load, even with a modest overclock, there is still still a 75-100 watt buffer above what the system should be pulling.  And rarely is the system going to be sustained at load while gaming.

This. Also, good luck trying to install Windows/Xpadder/log in, etc. with only an Xbox 360 controller. 

I figure with the lack of optical media and optical drives, a lot of people install an operating system through another computer to a USB drive.  I think we can safely assume that they can then also install and configure their OS.

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

I thought the same thing until I looked at PSU calculators.  At load, even with a modest overclock, there is still still a 75-100 watt buffer above what the system should be pulling.  And rarely is the system going to be sustained at load while gaming.

I really want to see someone pull off a cx430 and a 7950 now with tests and everything.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I really want to see someone pull off a cx430 and a 7950 now with tests and everything.

I would be interested to see that too.  How different is the draw between a 7870 Ghz Ed and a 7950?  I've got a buddy of mine who is running a 7870GE with a CX430 and it's more than enough.

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

I would be interested to see that too.  How different is the draw between a 7870 Ghz Ed and a 7950?  I've got a buddy of mine who is running a 7870GE with a CX430 and it's more than enough.

According to this: http://www.internetct.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=17

Not too much. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

430w 80+ psu is sufficient for a 7950. 

The whole wattage race of who has the biggest and fattest PSU is getting to you guys. IT IS NOT NEEDED. If you have a good quality and efficient PSU like the Corsair 430W 80+ Bronze, you will be supprised what it can handle.

Also without a beafy CPU to draw power aswell the 430 is ALMOST overkill when looking at the actual usage, but headroom is always good for silent operation, heat and reliability!

(Yes, I voted for tk421's build although I would proberly use a mini itx case instead to fit into the whole console world.) ( STEAM BOX FTW )

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

Wow, @tk421 has had quite the comeback! Today is the last day of voting everyone. I'm not promising anything (since I don't know myself), but there is a chance that Linus or Slick will talk about the Build-Offs on the WAN show tomorrow. 

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

Good point.  I doubt that any games at launch will be able to fully utilize that much RAM though.

But that's not the point this is a console killer not a console competitor. 4gb puts you at the same level as them, but the point of the build is to beat them

P.S. congrats on winning, I obviously am on the losing side of the argument seeing as how out of 12 votes you had 7 and I had 0.

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.