Do I have to disconnect my HDD when upgrading to Windows 10

tugzz

I have a 250GB SSD and 1TB HDD.

Do I have to disconnect my HDD while upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8.1?

I do this when I first installed windows 8.1 in my pc to make sure that all the operating system file goes to my SSD

No, but people recommend it so you don't choose the drive on accident.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

I do this when I first installed windows 8.1 in my pc to make sure that all the operating system file goes to my SSD

Just do same thing again. Maybe in only 0.0000000001% you can face a problem when second hard is connected but for that miserable chance to f*ck up things I allways disconnect all other drives... 

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

Just do same thing again. Maybe in only 0.0000000001% you can face a problem when second hard is connected but for that miserable chance to f*ck up things I allways disconnect all other drives... 

I do the same.

I didn't, im just to lazy. Upgrading now so ill tell you if i oops hard core.

No I don't bother, unless you choose the wrong disk to install Windows on you're fine, but if you want to be on the safe side then go ahead

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

I awkwardly upgraded to Windows 10. First of all I upgraded Windows 8.1 to 10 on my HDD, then I did a clean install on same same drive. Finally I migrated that installation onto my newly installed Samsung 850 Pro SSD xD

Midori:

Specs: Intel i5 4690K | Asus Strix GTX 1070 |  2x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @1600MHz| Samsung 850 Pro 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 750W | NZXT H440 Black/Green

Cooling:|2 Stock NZXT Case fans | 2 Noctua F-A14 FLXNoctua NF-P14S-1200 |

Peripherals: Corsair LUX RGB K70 Silent| Corsair RGB Sabre | Audio Technica M40X

No I don't bother, unless you choose the wrong disk to install Windows on you're fine...

I was thinking the same... And than I saw (in person, on my sister's computer) strange thing- "system reserved partition" was on second hdd... NOT partition, physically different hard drive... Since than during installation I disconnect all storage drive- problems may occure once in 10 000 times, but they are real and is easier to disconnect 2 cables... 

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

I was thinking the same... And than I saw (in person, on my sister's computer) strange thing- "system reserved partition" was on second hdd... NOT partition, physically different hard drive... Since than during installation I disconnect all storage drive- problems may occure once in 10 000 times, but they are real and is easier to disconnect 2 cables... 

That's weird, I have never ran into that. What I tend to do though is tell it to create partitions required so I can oversee how it is going to partition my disk before clicking install.

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

I did, both to protect files just in case but also because I triple boot and Windows 10 will break the boot loaders of the others if they are connected.

So I say yes, unplug them.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |