Can i take windows 7 from my laptop and move it to my New pc

Zebo the Zebra

Hi, ive got around 6 laptops sitting around with windows 7/8 and im building a new pc so can i transfer them over?

if there isnt a key i can activate, i am planning (generally) to take the old hard drives and put them in my new pc and will there be windows

Not legally no, that is an OEM version of Windows for that device ONLY.

I mean *Cough* windows is basically free *cough*

You can try asking ms to activate it on a new pc. but i don't think they will do it.

what do you mean by legally what is the other way?

what do you mean by legally what is the other way?

As far as you should be concerned, there is no other way.

You can, just call up Microsoft and say you've replaced the motherboard or something.

Most of the time the key on the bottom of laptops hasn't actually been used, it's just a generic key that has been used. Therefore, it can be used on any device.

You can, just call up Microsoft and say you've replaced the motherboard or something.

Most of the time the key on the bottom of laptops hasn't actually been used, it's just a generic key that has been used. Therefore, it can be used on any device.

Eh, still not a for sure thing.

Eh, still not a for sure thing.

I've done it pretty consistently, never failed me :P 

Also, remember the the terms and conditions/eula are not the law and the maximum fine for not abiding by them is to compensate [Microsoft] for their losses (£70 max)

It is legal. Its your computer. You can do whatever you want with your key. Do a fresh install and use the key on the sticker. That's not what they use to activate Windows anyway. If there is a problem usually you just have to call and talk to Microsoft (a computer) read numbers, punch numbers in and boom you are done. I have done it many times when a customer wants a new computer and wants to keep 7.

CPU: A10-6800k @ 4.7 Motherboard: Asus A88X-Plus RAM: Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 GB GPU: PNY GTX 660 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: 500 GB Samsung 850 Evo, 120 GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1 TB WD Blue PSU: Corsair HX750i Display(s): Asus VS248H-P Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 Keyboard: Amazon Special Mouse: Corsair Raptor M45 Sound: Amazon Special Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

I've done it pretty consistently, never failed me :P

Also, remember the the terms and conditions/eula are not the law and the maximum fine for not abiding by them is to compensate [Microsoft] for their losses (£70 max)

T&C's and EULA are by definition law... They're a contract that you agreed to!

It is legal. Its your computer. You can do whatever you want with your key. 

This comes back to T&C's and EULA's they kind of do have the right to object and intervene if you do something they don't like. Ownership may be 9/10ths of the law but they own the OS just as much as you own the product!

Clone the drive by chance?

I just built a rig capable of running Crysis 3 at ultra at least 60 FPS, all to continue playing League of Legends...

T&C's and EULA are by definition law... They're a contract that you agreed to!

I'm back from researching this. Turns out you're right if you apply contract law to this. However, it's nothing that would stand in court, not that Microsoft is petty enough to go to court about it.

It's illegal by outdated laws but the law of course is to be enforced by Microsoft in this case who would see it as unproductive and wrong.

I'm also going to point out that it's illegal to install OEM software on a computer that's your own. Things like this would be outruled if brought before a judge and therefore are only there to deter sticklers (such as yourself) from being thrifty and saving money, therefore it's a ploy to get Microsoft more money.

Besides, you could make the argument that you could put Mein Kamph in the T&C agreements and people would accept, therefore it can't be legally binding if the defendant hasn't understood the terms of the agreement. Therefore it's not illegal to do this (you're simply using a product you bought).

Hi, ive got around 6 laptops sitting around with windows 7/8 and im building a new pc so can i transfer them over?

if there isnt a key i can activate, i am planning (generally) to take the old hard drives and put them in my new pc and will there be windows

you can try the old keys in the new pc and see if it works

BUT you have to redownload the windows 7 iso

you can't just put the old drives in the new pc and have it boot normally

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile