Skylake must be VERY close to release...

Norman_the_Owl

I need to ask, why so many people are so hyped about skylake? I'm relatively new so i haven't been through a new Intel release, but, are they really that exciting? And what's so special about skylake? This is the equivalent of the release of the 4770k, and that wasnt very exciting. Is it because broadwell was barely a release so we are getting a tick and tock in some way?

Because some people want to get rid of Sandybridge, It feels like the CPU will survive the next 5years, but the chipset does not. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Because some people want to get rid of Sandybridge, It feels like the CPU will survive the next 5years, but the chipset does not. 

ah ok, so it's more about how popular sandy bridge was and the fact that is now beggining to show it's age? At least the Z68/P67 chipsets? Honestly, now it's making sense.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

ah ok, so it's more about how popular sandy bridge was and the fact that is now beggining to show it's age? At least the Z68/P67 chipsets? Honestly, now it's making sense.

Im probably going to upgrade just because my z68 is dying, my VRM's burn (smell) and are discolored due to heat, my pci-e 16x slot doesnt work anymore (2nd slot is only 8x) and im not willing to pay 150€+ for an acceptable out of production z77 board for my Sandy.

I would want to have an overclocking board with that Sandy, but in my Region it isnt affordable (400€ for a used Gigabyte z77 ud7). Not used boards are mostly Asrock boards which where known in the z77 chipset to have Bad to Average building parts.

Only acceptable board available would be an asrock z77 extreme6 with this "ok-ish" VRM's and mofsets. It would last a couple of Years but maybe not long enough with high overclocks.

So getting the system completly new would make the OC unescessary performance wise and wouldnt be much more expansive considering the wish for a good OC board , feature upgrades and selling the i7 2600k+RAM,

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Im probably going to upgrade just because my z68 is dying, my VRM's burn (smell) and are discolored due to heat, my pci-e 16x slot doesnt work anymore (2nd slot is only 8x) and im not willing to pay 150€+ for an acceptable out of production z77 board for my Sandy.

I would want to have an overclocking board with that Sandy, but in my Region it isnt affordable (400€ for a used Gigabyte z77 ud7). Not used boards are mostly Asrock boards which where known in the z77 chipset to have Bad to Average building parts.

Only acceptable board available would be an asrock z77 extreme6 with this "ok-ish" VRM's and mofsets. It would last a couple of Years but maybe not long enough with high overclocks.

So getting the system completly new would make the OC unescessary performance wise and wouldnt be much more expansive considering the wish for a good OC board , feature upgrades and selling the i7 2600k+RAM,

Well. in your case getting a new mobo+cpu+memory and selling what you got makes sense. If the mobo is dying and you are stock getting an old chipset, which doesn't really get cheaper, guess starting fresh feels more compeling. And i guess its a good time to upgrade, not that i see anything special in skylake, but it's the same with haswell, ivy brigde, sandy bridge, etc. You'd gain much more in features with the new chipset tho, and since this is the first mainstream chip that will require DDR4, you won't be changing that in a loooong time

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Well. in your case getting a new mobo+cpu+memory and selling what you got makes sense. If the mobo is dying and you are stock getting an old chipset, which doesn't really get cheaper, guess starting fresh feels more compeling. And i guess its a good time to upgrade, not that i see anything special in skylake, but it's the same with haswell, ivy brigde, sandy bridge, etc. You'd gain much more in features with the new chipset tho, and since this is the first mainstream chip that will require DDR4, you won't be changing that in a loooong time

yep, and i have also the option to buy a cheap h61 board or something for the sandy to make a friend happy.

He still uses an Intel Core 2 Duo or something ;D. (or use it for other stuff)

If the sh.t wouldnt had happen with my board, i wouldnt upgrade. Its still powerful enough for the most things i do.

But its still sad, that it hasnt just worked 1more year. Because Kaby-Lake has the potential of getting better.

Maybe comparable with 4770k vs 4790k.. i dont know.

yep, and i have also the option to buy a cheap h61 board or something for the sandy to make a friend happy.

He still uses an Intel Core 2 Duo or something ;D. (or use it for other stuff)

If the sh.t wouldnt had happen with my board, i wouldnt upgrade. Its still powerful enough for the most things i do.

But its still sad, that it hasnt just worked 1more year. Because Kaby-Lake has the potential of getting better.

Maybe comparable with 4770k vs 4790k.. i dont know.

With Intel, i wouldn't worry about regrets, i mean, the fact that your 2600K is still totally relevant shows how slowly they make real improvement, i don't think any gen of CPUs will be a gamechanger compared to the previews one, even if AMD gets it's act together it would take a couple years for intel to bring something truly revolutionary to the table. And, your friend will be happy, so, yay :P

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

That date format though... Month-Day-Year?

That's how we do it in the good ole US of A.

With Intel, i wouldn't worry about regrets, i mean, the fact that your 2600K is still totally relevant shows how slowly they make real improvement, i don't think any gen of CPUs will be a gamechanger compared to the previews one, even if AMD gets it's act together it would take a couple years for intel to bring something truly revolutionary to the table. And, your friend will be happy, so, yay :P

Yea, well i guess if i tell him that this is a very good cpu, xD

he isnt deep into hardware. He probably wouldnt even notice if im not telling him before i give it to him haha xD

Yea, well i guess if i tell him that this is a very good cpu, xD

he isnt deep into hardware. He probably wouldnt even notice if im not telling him before i give it to him haha xD

For a non techie it's an excellent CPU, most people use pentiums or celerons. It's simply no longer useful for you, but it's still an I7, and not that old

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

For a non techie it's an excellent CPU, most people use pentiums or celerons. It's simply no longer useful for you, but it's still an I7, and not that old

Im a little bit afraid that he will bash everyone while gaming with my old i7, he is pretty skilled in most games playing on 20fps. lol

Im expecting huge improvements. 

Is the first skylake going to be 14 nm or a later refresh?

I've not been keeping up with the tech news recently. Maybe were already on 14 nm and I don't even know it!

Linus is my fetish.

Is the first skylake going to be 14 nm or a later refresh?

I've not been keeping up with the tech news recently. Maybe were already on 14 nm and I don't even know it!

Broadwell introduced the 14nm node last year, and now Skylake is coming on 14nm. That was originally supposed to shrink to 10nm Cannonlake next year, but that's been postponed, with Kaby Lake launching still on 14nm next year.

Aha, yea I've not even read up on Broadwell.

Linus is my fetish.