Is this normal for my i5 4690k overclocking? Please Help....

My PC does fine-: 42multiplier @ 1.20volts ran Aida 64 for 10min (I stopped at 10min mark)

43multiplier @ 1.20volts ran Aida 64 for 10min (I stopped at 10min Mark)

Crashes on -: 44multiplier @ 1.22volts (blue screen on windows startup)

44multiplier @ 1.230volts (blue screened just before logging in)

44multiplier @ 1.240volts (blue screen on Aida 64)

44multiplier @ 1.256volts did Aida 64 for 10mins , crashed (blue screen)on a game .

This is so weird I can't seem to go above 43multlier, there's a huge gap in voltage from 1.20v to 1.56v (even then crash) is there something I could do? Please help me guys....

Thanks

My PC does fine-: 42multiplier @ 1.20volts ran Aida 64 for 10min (I stopped at 10min mark)

44multiplier @ 1.256volts did Aida 64 for 10mins , crashed (blue screen)on a game .

This is so weird I can't seem to go above 43multlier, there's a huge gap in voltage from 1.20v to 1.56v (even then crash) is there something I could do? Please help me guys....

Thanks

How are temps?

Just the wall of your CPU, looks like you lost the lottery. I can get mine to 45 with barely any voltage and only crashing in GTAV for some reason.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

If the temps are fine, keep increasing the voltage, your CPU might have a hiccup like mine @ 5GHz you'll be fine until you hit 1.300 then the chip will start to degrade 

Edit: heres a suggestion use Prime 95 too, its MUCH better for torture testing 

If the temps are fine, keep increasing the voltage, your CPU might have a hiccup like mine @ 5GHz you'll be fine until you hit 1.300 then the chip will start to degrade 

He said he tried 1.5v "shutters"

He said he tried 1.5v "shutters"

you said the part I missed said wot m8 

definitely lost the lottery... 

Wow, 1,56V ?? Don't, just don't...

I think he meant 256

Edit: heres a suggestion use Prime 95 too, its MUCH better for torture testing 

NO! Don't use Prime95 on Haswell, it increases the voltage to dangerous amounts.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

I think he meant 256

NO! Don't use Prime95 on Haswell, it increases the voltage to dangerous amounts.

Intel burn test is what i use. I prefer over aida

I think he meant 256

I seriously hope he meant 1,256V... otherwise RIP CPU

Prime95 on Haswell? Definitely RIP CPU :D

Intel burn test is what i use. I prefer over aida

Plus, you can use it to get rough OC's without having to reboot.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

-SNIP-

That's pretty normal it can happen on some chips, unfortunately you got one that doesn't OC very well and seems it hit a wall. Usually voltage increase non-linearly but exponentially so it will need more and more the higher you go on the multiplier, and plz don't run at 1.5V that's not safe at all, at most 1.3V, 1.4V max if you have big air or watercooling.

I think he meant 256

hold on let me go do prime 95 test and it won't increase my voltage .-. can't kill my CPU even more its already running 1.354 or so volts to get to 4.9

96a1c999995efca1d3a52480c0285cc7.png not running  83011c7043ad1b33a47e99286d462cdc.pngSo what are you talking about again?

Thanks

This is fairly normal, just means you got a chip that doesn't over clock good.  my 4670k does something similar, hits 45x easy then mater what it won't go to 46x.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

How are temps?

How are temps?

71degree Celsius

hold on let me go do prime 95 test and it won't increase my voltage .-. can't kill my CPU even more its already running 1.54 or so volts to get to 4.9

-PICS-

not running  So what are you talking about again?

It's perfectly safe to use Prime 95 when on manual or fixed voltages when overclocking but the biggest issue is when it's on adaptive mode where it goes higher than the set voltages even Adia 64 does that on adaptive. Prime 95 just tends to give more stress and not all cases but can increase voltages even on stock speeds giving some users those +90C temps.

BTW nice OC  ;)

71degree Celsius

. Yes I meant 1.256volts, sorry guys!

hold on let me go do prime 95 test and it won't increase my voltage .-. can't kill my CPU even more its already running 1.354 or so volts to get to 4.9

-such pics-

It's perfectly safe to use Prime 95 when on manual or fixed voltages when overclocking but the biggest issue is when it's on adaptive mode where it goes higher than the set voltages even Adia 64 does that on adaptive. Prime 95 just tends to give more stress and not all cases but can increase voltages even on stock speeds giving some users those +90C temps.

BTW nice OC  ;)

Also, this ^^

So what are you talking about again?

http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=19461

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If it helps, I run my 4690K at 4.5GHz with a voltage of 1.35V. I could go lower but I just keep it at 1.35 for stability reasons. It caps out at 85 under Aida load too

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

you said the part I missed said wot m8 

definitely lost the lottery...

oh cock!

BTW nice OC  ;)

Annnd theres where I have it set to manual, thanks for clearing that up and my wonderful overclock lol we don't speak about that shh; I would never let programs touch my voltage lol, why doesn't someone create a hack just to add .4 volts to they're CPU to kill it? inb4 that happens.... 

oh cock!

Try pushing it to 1.3V which is still safe on haswell and see what it can do, if it still stays stuck there then unfortunately that seems to be the case.

Annnd theres where I have it set to manual, thanks for clearing that up and my wonderful overclock lol we don't speak about that shh; I would never let programs touch my voltage lol, why doesn't someone create a hack just to add .4 volts to they're CPU to kill it? inb4 that happens....

Lol then we'd all start shitting our pants if that happened. I would suggest to put it on adaptative mode it will help save power and lower temps on idle and lesser work states, as long as you don't do any stress test in on adaptive and switch back to manual mode to do that you won't get those voltage increases.

All I can say is screw you Intel. K series is meant for overclocking don't they get tested before? Ridiculously stupid.

All I can say is screw you Intel. K series is meant for overclocking don't they get tested before? Ridiculously stupid.

That's the whole point of K chips, it's a lottery you can't tell if you get a good or bad overclocker, if you want a for sure good overclocker there are some places that sell golden chips for a price premium since they do the testing.