Pc Shuts down after 2 min on fire strike normal.

ELSknutson

So I have a friend who is having issues with his PC he has an asus z87 gene board , i7 4770k processor, R9 290X and a 850w Corsair HX PSU. I told him to look at CPUz and GPU z while fire strike is running becouse he was having issues with games crashing under load so when he ran fire strike the pc turned off after 2 min and he had to manually restart the computer

GPU on Idle sits at 56C with the fan running on idle at 26% the CPU is sitting at 38C on idle with an H100i

so what doe you think the issue is? Im going to have hime reinstall the GPU drivers. But after thinking about it, this kinda sounds like a PSU issue.

less then a month old parts purchased off of newegg

I would swap out the power supply.

I would swap out the power supply.

That would require getting another PSU I would like to avoid this if possible

So I have a friend who is having issues with his PC he has an asus z87 gene board , i7 4770k processor, R9 290X and a 850w Corsair HX PSU. I told him to look at CPUz and GPU z while fire strike is running becouse he was having issues with games crashing under load so when he ran fire strike the pc turned off after 2 min and he had to manually restart the computer

GPU on Idle sits at 56C with the fan running on idle at 26% the CPU is sitting at 38C on idle with an H100i

so what doe you think the issue is? Im going to have hime reinstall the GPU drivers. But after thinking about it, this kinda sounds like a PSU issue.

Use prime 95 for a few min and see just a cpu stress test crashes it

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Does it do this while playing actual games? Or does it only ever happen with Fire Strike?

Does it do this while playing actual games? Or does it only ever happen with Fire Strike?

both

I would probably launch whatever CPU and GPU temperature monitors you use and run a game windowed so you can watch the temperatures to see if it's a thermal issue. If the thermals are all normal then testing the PSU and RAM would be next. Borrow a PSU from a friend or hijack it from an older system. If that doesn't fix the issue try Memtest86 or something to make sure the RAM isn't acting weird. If you don't want to run MemTest you could also just remove in individual RAM sticks in between tests to see if it stops shutting down (though I suspect you'd get a blue screen rather than a full reboot). Beyond that, make sure everything is seated correctly?

He was able to run a game for a few minutes and the 290x was showing 98c with 100%fan speed so I told him to replace the thermal compound in his GPU