Bought 2 old laptop from a friend for $20,would like some advice.

trainergames

The first laptop is this one. http://global.aopen.com/products_detail.aspx?auno=1559 the cpu is a 1.7ghz it has 512mb ram,40gb hdd,and 128mb ati video card. 

I booted it up and it works....but there is one problem lol the windows xp it is running is in russian,and i have tried 6 times to change it to english and it has yet to work. 

My sister plans to use it for basic web surfing away from her desktop.

Any advice on what to do about the OS?

the second laptop is an Acer Aspire 3050,with a 1.8ghz AMD Mobile Sempron 3500+,4gb ram,80gb HDD and windows xp MCE. The cpu could be upgraded to a Turion 64 X2 1.8ghz dual core for under $5 on ebay.

But the problem with this one is the power board is shorting and makes smoke when power cord is plugged in,but the parts is $8(+$5 shipping) on amazon.

What i was wanting to do with this one,was i planned to use it in my garage for when i am working on my car,i will be using it to stream pandora,youtube and mabye netflix,and to sometimes look up how to remove a part.

If i replace the power board,and the mother board is not fried,do you think i should then upgrade the cpu? or is the power gain for what i want not worth the trouble?

| I7 2600@4.2Ghz | Corsair A70 w/H100 fans | 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz | MSI Z77A G45 Gaming | Corsair TX650 | XFX R9 380 | 2x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD in RAID 0 | 2x Seagate 500GB in RAID 0 | 750GB Seagate | 500GB WDHDD + 500GB WD USB HDD | Sound Blaster Recon | Antec Sonta Case | HP LP2480zx @1920x1200 | Acer H243H @1920x1080 | BenQ EW2440

i have an aspire 3000, YES the turion is worth it (i'm not sure the X2 will work in that though), but mine has SiS graphics which can't do shit, not sure about the 3050.

the first one is too slow for even basic web browsing nowadays, unless you get a much nicer chip and way more memory. i'd also just reinstall windows xp and install the unofficial SP4 which extends the updates until 2019 or install xubuntu or something.

edit: actually yeah, a 64 X2 TL-68 should work.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

This is for xp computers: 

1. click on start - it must be at the bottom left corner of the screen 
2. click on the writing next to the image of a paper with a tick on it and a pen (control panel) 
3. click on the icon that shows the earth and a calendar (date, time, language and regional options) 
4. click on the writing next to the image of a globe (it should open up a new window) 
5. change all the language options to the language of your choice or sometimes you have to put the country that speaks that language 
6. change tabs and do the same 
7. click on the first box at the very bottom of that window (ok) 
8. close all the windows by pressing the "x" on the top right corner of the window 
9. click on start 
10. click on the red "switch" icon (it should ask you what to do) 
11. click on the green icon (restart - should turn off and turn back on) 
12. check if it's the language of your choice (if not, I'm sorry!)

source: http://ccm.net/forum/affich-10659-how-can-i-change-the-opareting-system-languag

ubuntu would be better at this point. 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

The first laptop is this one. http://global.aopen.com/products_detail.aspx?auno=1559 the cpu is a 1.7ghz it has 512mb ram,40gb hdd,and 128mb ati video card. 

I booted it up and it works....but there is one problem lol the windows xp it is running is in russian,and i have tried 6 times to change it to english and it has yet to work. 

My sister plans to use it for basic web surfing away from her desktop.

Any advice on what to do about the OS?

the second laptop is an Acer Aspire 3050,with a 1.8ghz AMD Mobile Sempron 3500+,4gb ram,80gb HDD and windows xp MCE. The cpu could be upgraded to a Turion 64 X2 1.8ghz dual core for under $5 on ebay.

But the problem with this one is the power board is shorting and makes smoke when power cord is plugged in,but the parts is $8(+$5 shipping) on amazon.

What i was wanting to do with this one,was i planned to use it in my garage for when i am working on my car,i will be using it to stream pandora,youtube and mabye netflix,and to sometimes look up how to remove a part.

If i replace the power board,and the mother board is not fried,do you think i should then upgrade the cpu? or is the power gain for what i want not worth the trouble?

Do a clean install of the OS and be done with it.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Guys i took the acer apart and here is the problem part.

1Egfdwn.jpg

| I7 2600@4.2Ghz | Corsair A70 w/H100 fans | 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz | MSI Z77A G45 Gaming | Corsair TX650 | XFX R9 380 | 2x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD in RAID 0 | 2x Seagate 500GB in RAID 0 | 750GB Seagate | 500GB WDHDD + 500GB WD USB HDD | Sound Blaster Recon | Antec Sonta Case | HP LP2480zx @1920x1200 | Acer H243H @1920x1080 | BenQ EW2440