crossfire help/advice

acrain92

ok to start off i know xfire is not very recommended i already have a 7770 and the cost of a new one is very low these days my question is in crossfire i know the video memory is shared in a way so if my old card maybe has degrading ram on it if i set the new one as the main gpu in the crossfire will my old ones bad ram affect it the issue it has is texture stretching and also in xfire how exactly is the ram distributed 

It will most likely affect overall performance if one card has bad RAM. On another note, crossfire isn't QUITE as bad now with AMD's new driver out today.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Ram is unaffected in crossfire. What I mean is both of your cards need the same information stored on each during graphics processing. So if one of your cards goes bonkers while doing something you will definitely notice it.

Are you sure it's the video cards RAM? Not using aggressive clocks or anything? If you cant RMA your card you're best off trying to peddle it for parts and just upgrading to an entirely new card instead.

Error: 410

You're probably better off selling your 7770 and getting a 7850/7870 instead anyway.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You're probably better off selling your 7770 and getting a 7850/7870 instead anyway.

I agree, you'd definitely be better off just selling it and getting a higher end card, i'd recommend a 7950 since you can get them for as low as $250 now :)

Edit: actually 240 on newegg after MIR http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131478

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

ok to start off i know xfire is not very recommended i already have a 7770 and the cost of a new one is very low these days my question is in crossfire i know the video memory is shared in a way so if my old card maybe has degrading ram on it if i set the new one as the main gpu in the crossfire will my old ones bad ram affect it the issue it has is texture stretching and also in xfire how exactly is the ram distributed 

Why is xfire not recommended?

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Why is xfire not recommended?

It's not bad overall but the price of 2 7770's in particular are not good for their performance compared to a single 7850/7870.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's not bad overall but the price of 2 7770's in particular are not good for their performance compared to a single 7850/7870.

Oh yeah I didnt read the whole thing I thought he meant xfire in general not getting another one of his cards.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

the main reason i was asking was because i had a 7770 in my main rig but i already bought a 7950 for it and was gonna slap the old 7770 and another one in my second rig as an upgrade from its old 9800gtx+ so i didnt want to spend more than around 100bucks on it

• 1 month later...

update i did get another 7770 and the new one added actualy did help with the second ones failing ram kinda before it was streching and failing to load textures now with the new one (yes xfire is enabled ) it has an affect of a almost unnoticeable texture flicker were before they were missing completely and there are no more streched ones