Upgrade to Windows 10 or do a clean install?

Spoonfull

I cant decide on whether or not I want to upgrade to Windows 10 through just a standard update, or through a clean install.

I really dont want to have to go through the pain of having to install things like motherboard drivers again, but I dont want decreased performance due to old files thanks to the update.

Is it at all worth it to upgrade to windows 10?

Should I do it Day one, or wait a couple months?

CPU: i5 4670k | Motherboard: MSI B85I | Stock cooler | RAM: 8gb DDR3 RAM 1600mhz | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked w/ACX cooling | Storage: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/ Window

I'd personally wait. Because to me, the OS is still in beta, and still has problems. So, I'm waiting a couple weeks.

Do what ever your heart desires <3

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

MS Customer support told me, that if you want the free upgrade, it's going to have to be an in-place one. After that, you can do a clean install, if you wish to.

Java and fullstack web developer (JS). PM if you need major critical level support.

Beginners, please learn to debug your programs! --- If you're posting code, please use code tags!

Correct. You get Windows 10 for free, you need to UPGRADE your current Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10 first. Then you can get a Windows 10 ISO and clean install if you want. But you have no choice to upgrade if you want it for free.

My advice to you, is:

-> If you got a malware or virus on your current install any point in time, even if you are removed it, clean install. Anti-virus/Anti-malware doesn't restore modified Windows files. They just neutralize the culprit. So the damage that was can potentially screw up the upgrade process.

-> If you have used a registry cleaner, than this might increase your chances of a failed upgrade

-> Backup your stuff before upgrading just in the case of system failure due to bad luck or upgrade failure occurs, at least you have your files safe.

-> If you have any security software: Firewall, anti-virus (beside Windows Defender/MSE), anti-malware, internet security. I would suggest to uninstall it before doing the upgrade. Normally Windows setup will do that for you, however it might not work, or not identify your security software can lead to issues. You can install them back once Windows 10 is fully upgraded

Once you have upgraded to Windows 10, check for updates, and update your drivers to the latest version. This includes motherboard drivers/ chipset drivers, SATA Controller, network card, graphics card, etc.

MS Customer support told me, that if you want the free upgrade, it's going to have to be an in-place one. After that, you can do a clean install, if you wish to.

Right, should be similar as the 8.0 to 8.1 update

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

upgrade then you can do a fresh install, there should be RTM ISOs on Wednesday from Microsoft but I think you can also use the 10240 build as it is technically the RTM build. 

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

I cant decide on whether or not I want to upgrade to Windows 10 through just a standard update, or through a clean install.

I really dont want to have to go through the pain of having to install things like motherboard drivers again, but I dont want decreased performance due to old files thanks to the update.

Is it at all worth it to upgrade to windows 10?

Should I do it Day one, or wait a couple months?

my uncle told me to wait for Service pack 1 (maybe 4 months) for all the bugs and stuff to get fixed

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

My way of checking to wait or not is find another Hard drive even from a laptop or what ever do a clean install on that then test to see if everything works

| NZXT H440 | AOC e2450Swd, AOC 2436V, RCA 42" LED TV | AMD 8320E | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 |MSI GeForce GTX 960 Titanium OC 4GB | Corsair CX 750 | 3 TB WD Green and PNY XLR8 240GB SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Ramaxel RMR5030ME68F9F1600 - 4GBx2 |Logitech G710+|Logitech G502 | Astro A40 | Blue Snowball Ice |

my uncle told me to wait for Service pack 1 (maybe 4 months) for all the bugs and stuff to get fixed

So then you'll wait a very looooooooong time.