Asus Hero Vi pcie issues......

Go to solution Solved by NumLock21,

Maximum number of PCIe lanes on the Z97 is 16, and your graphic cards running in SLI eats up all of it. Z97 boards with PLX chip will provide additional PCIe lanes.

I currently own a Hero VI I just got back from RMA. Other than my video cards in sli the other pcie slots seemed problematic. I just recently learned that on this board the other pcie slots have to be pcie X1. If I do a slot pcie x4 all other slots are deactivated. I have a usb 3.0 card which will run awful unless I do the pcie x4 but I won't be able to use the usb 2.0 card at all. Do the newer z97 boards address this? I have a socket 1150 4770k and only do light photoshop and video editing in addition to gaming. If I have to x99 full upgrade is possible but from what I've heard it'd be a waste since I'm not video editing heavy. I just want a board that will let me do sli and use my cards like necessary. Thanks in advance as I always learn something from you guys.

Or is the answer just get a z97 board with more USB ports than my current hero vi.

PC Specs : Click here

Maximum number of PCIe lanes on the Z97 is 16, and your graphic cards running in SLI eats up all of it. Z97 boards with PLX chip will provide additional PCIe lanes.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure.

And you never get the right answer as everyone always assumes you want to do triple sli at 8x and they just go on and on about how bad it is and that's not what I'm looking for. I'll look more in depth at the Formula and EVGA classified. I know the classified has a plx chip.

That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure.

And you never get the right answer as everyone always assumes you want to do triple sli at 8x and they just go on and on about how bad it is and that's not what I'm looking for. I'll look more in depth at the Formula and EVGA classified. I know the classified has a plx chip.

The formula does not have a plx chip. Easiest way to find out is, the board must support 4 way sli.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

The formula does not have a plx chip. Easiest way to find out is, the board must support 4 way sli.

The more I research so far, it seems like if you go sli and x4 you lose all other pcie. It seems like it really might be time for an x99 upgrade maybe but I really don't want to but I'm leery of the EVGA board as I don't see many videos of them or know many people with one.

The more I research so far, it seems like if you go sli and x4 you lose all other pcie. It seems like it really might be time for an x99 upgrade maybe but I really don't want to but I'm leery of the EVGA board as I don't see many videos of them or know many people with one.

I got a formula VI and it supports 16 PCIe lanes, what expansion cards are you using? SLI config and something else?

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I got a formula VI and it supports 16 PCIe lanes, what expansion cards are you using? SLI config and something else?

I have two USB pcie cards one USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0. From what I've read the USB 3.0 won't work to full capabilities unless it's at x4. X2 is faster than 2.0 but not full 3.0.

I have two USB pcie cards one USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0. From what I've read the USB 3.0 won't work to full capabilities unless it's at x4. X2 is faster than 2.0 but not full 3.0.

Well, if you got 2 GPUs you can't add more expansion cards, however, the ROG boards have a LOT of USB 3.0, may i ask why the USB card?

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Well, if you got 2 GPUs you can't add more expansion cards, however, the ROG boards have a LOT of USB 3.0, may i ask why the USB card?

Maybe I shouldn't have gotten the hero and got one with more USB ports but I had no idea going sli would pretty much render the other pcie lanes useless but I do have a lot of external stuff. Webcam, 3d vision gear (don't laugh), game controller, multiple external HDD's for backups stuff like that.

Edit: I just found that the Asus z97 deluxe has 10 USB ports in the back that will work and I won't need the cards and I still can use my processor. But damn, for the price of the board I feel like I should jump up to more lanes.