Graphics card with thermal paste

My crossfire hd 7870's when gaming for a few hours start to get really hot about 60C-70C.

A friend said that for a small improvement I should take off the heat sink and reapply new thermal paste and that will help a bit with the heat.

I was wondering if that is true or if its a waste of time and thermal paste.

The thermal paste I have is artic silver 5.

Thank you

Jason 

if the 7870 is quite old then changing the thermal paste could improve temps but if the card is new the artic silver won't be any better than the stuff the board partner used.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

My crossfire hd 7870's when gaming for a few hours start to get really hot about 60C-70C.

Just to clearify this; that's not hot. at all.

New paste will help, but not a lot ;)

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

That is true, but the temps you have are very normal with graphics cards. I don't know if it's the same with 7xxx cards, but a guy with his 6950 replaced the compound on it with ic diamond and while stress testing his temps went down 15c.

If you have had the card and same thermal paste for a couple of years it will help improve your temperatures by a couple of degrees if you apply new thermal paste. also if you do decide to take it aprt to do so I would also recommend to get compressed air and remove all the dost from the fan and cooler. this should help lower the temperatures a good amount.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Yes, 60-70*C is excellent in Crossfire under load. Start worrying if it hits 90-95*C

You can replace the thermal paste if you want but considering you're getting great temps as it is now you'll only make things worse by replacing it.

If you have had the card and same thermal paste for a couple of years it will help improve your temperatures by a couple of degrees if you apply new thermal paste. also if you do decide to take it aprt to do so I would also recommend to get compressed air and remove all the dost from the fan and cooler. this should help lower the temperatures a good amount.

I have had one card for a year but the other only about 2 weeks.

Yes, 60-70*C is excellent in Crossfire under load. Start worrying if it hits 90-95*C

You can replace the thermal paste if you want but considering you're getting great temps as it is now you'll only make things worse by replacing it.

This is what I thought thank you