Can you install a motherboard without the brass standoffs?

Raiden60

This particular case did not have the standoffs included, so I got some, and now the standoffs raise the motherboard so the I/O shield does not fit the motherboard. The standoff slots are raised, so it looks like the circuitry wouldn't directly touch the case. I just want to make sure. Everything just seemed to go wrong with this build :/

Bad idea u will short the board

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

I'd not do that... Cant you get other standoffs?

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

Depending on the case, the standoffs can be different sizes. So unless you got some from the case manufacturer, that is your issue. Make sure you get the right length standoffs and you will be good. Don't decide to not use them tho, you will short the board, and possibly everything on it. also, that would put your board too close to mobo tray and your PCI cards will not reach.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Also what case is it?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

What you could do is use very thin washers that are non-conducting. As long as the rest of the motherboard is not touching the case, you're probably fine. Still a very ghetto solution imo. ;)

who cares...

i would highly not recommend it as you could damage your board.

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

The case is a thermaltake versa H23

Aren't the standoffs built into the motherboard tray? 

Like this: 

IMG_3264.JPG

i would highly not recommend it as you could damage your board.

The platforms are raised, so it prevents the circuitry from touching the case. I think I'm gonna do it, as for the people that have reviewed this case seem to have just installed it without the brass stand offs, and just on the platforms on the case.

Aren't the standoffs built into the motherboard tray? 

Like this: 

IMG_3264.JPG

Yes, that's it. It's safe to install on that, right?

The platforms are raised, so it prevents the circuitry from touching the case. I think I'm gonna do it, as for the people that have reviewed this case seem to have just installed it without the brass stand offs, and just on the platforms on the case.

I did not know that. I though u meant just having it flat on ur case .

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Yeah you're good to go if your case is like that.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

I did not know that. I though u meant just having it flat on ur case .

Yeah you're good to go if your case is like that.

Ok, thanks. To be quite honest, I was pissing my pants worrying about it :P

Yeah that's correct, a lot of cases today come with the stand-offs pre-installed

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC