Help Advice On Trailer for movie

Would like some constructive criticism on my movie trailer. Filmed with an Xl1 and edited on my Powermac G5 in final cut express 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3W6IgHGInA

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

You are trying to create very dynamic scenes, which is great for a trailer. But in total contrast to the running people you have always a static camera perspective which looks a little bit weird. The viewer just doesn't feel involved. I wouldn't even necessarily use a tripod.

Other than that I really like the shot at the beginning where you just film the ground/feet.

first of all good work! but as you were asking for criticism ill point some things out for you.

• first of all the first cut when they run off is off by a few frames.
  • then i think the whole thing isn't cut as fast. cutting fast will give the audience a better sense of their need to get away and run. If you have even just two shots of them running across the field i would cut between the two a few times.
  •  the opening scene. i like what you have done, and see what you were going for with keeping the camera on the door. but we have dialogue, and we haven't be introduced to the characters. this makes it confusing. the audience doesn't know whether the voices are a voice over or actually there. For the first few lines you need their faces, over the shoulder of the other so we know who is standing where, after that you can cut to the door, and then back to them. i wouldn't hesitate in putting a wide shot at the beginning showing where they are.

I know this looks a lot but tbh its not too bad really. Some of what i have said would need you to re shoot, but try with what you have, that's what film making is about. keep doing what you are doing, and if you have any questions about anything just ask. hope this helped :D

Thanks for the praise and will take the advice and run with it for the finished movie  :)

#KilledMyWife 

• 2 weeks later...

Fastest way to get a cinematic look is to widen the aspect ratio (it's called letterboxing). Crop in the upper and lower edges by 10%-15% (whatever you prefer). Also, add Gaussian noise at around 6% (again, whatever looks best aesthetically to you). The noise can help reduce the harshness of compression artifacts, and also makes the film look like it was recorded RAW. As for colour, slightly over saturating or under saturating the mid tones is generally a good way to go (again, what you prefer). Also, slightly whitening blacks (I mean only 1% or 2%) can be effective!

Fastest way to get a cinematic look is to widen the aspect ratio (it's called letterboxing). Crop in the upper and lower edges by 10%-15% (whatever you prefer). Also, add Gaussian noise at around 6% (again, whatever looks best aesthetically to you). The noise can help reduce the harshness of compression artifacts, and also makes the film look like it was recorded RAW. As for colour, slightly over saturating or under saturating the mid tones is generally a good way to go (again, what you prefer). Also, slightly whitening blacks (I mean only 1% or 2%) can be effective!

the final product will be in 16:9

#KilledMyWife