Sapphire R9 390

TravisTea

Anyone have one of these cards? Is it pretty solid? I'm looking at getting a 144hz 1080p monitor within a month and need a new gpu to push the frames. Think this card will do the trick?

Anyone have one of these cards? Is it pretty solid? I'm looking at getting a 144hz 1080p monitor within a month and need a new gpu to push the frames. Think this card will do the trick?

Yes that card will be perfect, it outpreforms the 970 and has 8Gbs of vram too and is cheaper

PC is alive again! :System: CPU:Intel i5 4960k/ Motherboard:ASUS Gryphon Z97/ RAM: Kingston 16GB/ GPU: ASUS R9 Fury X/ Storage: 120gb Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate SSHD/ PSU: Cooler Master 700w/ Displays: 1 Acer B276HK ymjdprz 27-inch 4K Ultra HD/1 ASUS 21.5 LCD LED 21.5 monitor

"outperform" xD 
Give the 970 the same power consumption and it will outperform a 390... 

Btw it's a good choice to play at 144hz. But a 970 will be behind with 3 less fps.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.00Ghz - Motherboard: ASRock Z97X Killer - RAM: HyperX Savage Kit 2 x 4 GB - GPU: Inno3D iChill Geforce GTX 970 Ultra - Case: NZXT Noctis 450 - Storage (1st): Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB - Storage (2nd): Seagate 2TB HDD - PSU: Evga Supernova 750 G2 80+ Gold

"outperform" xD 

Btw it's a good choice to play at 144hz. But a 970 will be behind with 3 less fps.

Yet you cant, so yea it overperforms a 970.

The sapphire nitro card is one of the best 390s atm

The 390 and the 970 are basically the same powerful, PLEASE DONT COMPARE PERFORMANCE IT IS BASICALLY THE SAME. He asked about the r9 390 sapphire so he made up his mind. 

OT: Someone I know has it and it is silent in idle, low temps, under 50 deg idle and does not go past 73 on my friends rig but it is fairly loud when gaming. I am getting the msi version soon I think. I have heard from many people and apparently the sapphire and msi is the best version

EDIT: If you want 60+ fps this card wont cut it, but for 60 fps gaming this card is great.

for 144 fps gaming i suggest get 2 of those.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Yes that card will be perfect, it outpreforms the 970 and has 8Gbs of vram too and is cheaper

"outperform" xD 

The 390 and the 970 are basically the same powerful, PLEASE DONT COMPARE PERFORMANCE IT IS BASICALLY THE SAME. He asked about the r9 390 sapphire so he made up his mind. 

OT: Someone I know has it and it is silent in idle, low temps, under 50 deg idle and does not go past 73 on my friends rig but it is fairly loud when gaming. I am getting the msi version soon I think. I have heard from many people and apparently the sapphire and msi is the best version

EDIT: If you want 60+ fps this card wont cut it, but for 60 fps gaming this card is great.

for 144 fps gaming i suggest get 2 of those.

I like the look of the Sapphire 390 but am impartial to companies. I'm ok with a 970, also. I'm just trying to figure out what is the best for my money and can maintain the fps I need. I'd like to start with one card and if need be I'll get a second one later. If I need a second card I'll have to change my motherboard. I have an Asrock H97m Anniversary motherboard, i5 4460, and 8gb of Gskill ddr3 2400 (it was $2 difference from 1600 lol).

I like the look of the Sapphire 390 but am impartial to companies. I'm ok with a 970, also. I'm just trying to figure out what is the best for my money and can maintain the fps I need. I'd like to start with one card and if need be I'll get a second one later. If I need a second card I'll have to change my motherboard. I have an Asrock H97m Anniversary motherboard, i5 4460, and 8gb of Gskill ddr3 2400 (it was $2 difference from 1600 lol).

I only get what is the best and I show no loyalty to any company and most people will agree with me on this but the R9 390 is a better deal than the 970 if they are similarly priced. 

Here is what I wrote on another topic regarding the 970 vs 390 debate

They perform almost identical in 1080p, the r9 390 has been known to do 1-2 fps better in some games and then lose by 1-2 fps, its basically the same power as the 970, both have around the same temperatures in load (970 lower temp in idle) and same amount of noise pretty much, I have heard. The R9 390 is around the same price in most places and has 8GB VRAM, where as the 970 has 4GB VRAM. This will be useful in the future HOWEVER, the R9 390 is not powerful enough to utilize all that VRAM in most future games. But it will still be very useful in 1-2 years when games use between 4-6GB of VRAM.

The only thing that should have an impact in you deciding to pick the 970 or the 390 are these things IMO

-Drivers

-VRAM

-Coil whine

-power usage

People say AMD drivers are bad, but they are only partly right. Frankly both AMD and NVIDIA drivers are rubbish. So far the AMD drivers have done well for the R9 390, although some people have complained about having a hard time installing the GPU (I think its due to them not uninstalling previous drivers correctly). AMD drivers dont get updates as often, but dont need them as often as NVIDIA. NVIDIA drivers get updates quicker and they solve problems quicker than AMD does. Overall I would say NVIDIA drivers are better but not by as much people say. TBH they are both pretty poor

VRAM will be useful in a year or so but as I said the R9 390 is just not powerful enough to use more than 6GB VRAM or so in games in like 2-3 years I THINK, I could be completely wrong. But none the less the VRAM will be useful eventually.

Coil whine has been a known issue for the 900 series, especially the 970, I have had one and it has had annoying coil whine. Some make high pitch sounds and some make buzzing sounds, both being super annoying. But you probably wont realize when you play games anyway. As for the R9 390, I have not heard a single person complaining about (audible) coil whine yet, which is a good sign.

The 390 consumes more watts, but apparently people with 600+ watts will have no problems running a R9 390. Make sure ur PSU can handle it.

There is no point comparing performance, dont listen to most people who say 'THIS GPU HAS 20% MORE PERFORMANCE BLABLABLA', that is rubbish. They are basically the same.

I am neither a AMD or NVIDIA fanboy, I just pick whats best and so far I would say the R9 390 is better than the 970, and most people on the internet seem to agree with this.

(you cant go wrong with either they are both fantastic)

To answer your question for 60fps in the next 2-3 years the R9 390 will do the trick and the sapphire version is one of the best if not the best model of the 390 GPUs.