did i just outsmart a scammer?

TheTacoSniper

again, don't talk to him. wait for the 300 to drop, transfer it.

walk away.

I already blocked and unfriended both of his accounts, and just to be safe, I changed my steam community link

wow, thats a lot of bees!

He can chargeback within 90 days or more or so not sure about exact number of days but wait untill then.

I hope you made printscreens of chat logs etc, he could also just report you to steamrep with some shady proof.

he can't charge back if the money is spend or moved.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

This could be entirely different, but there is a certain method of scamming via paypal.

A couple of years ago I was selling a car and someone contacted me with an offer way higher than I was asking for.  It smelt strongly of a scam however they insisted to use paypal, which was a little odd as I couldn't imagine how it would be possible to scam using paypal.

Did a google search and it turned out to be a very common scam. To cut it short the way it works is they use a payment method that fails after some time, if I recall correctly it was something like maxxed / pending cancellation credit cards. Before it fails they get something from you in return (in the car scam they get you to pay a 'shipping fee'). After some time the paypal payment fails and the scammed person is left with nothing after giving something to the scammer (a significant amount of cash in the car scam, sounds like skins in this scam).

If you haven't given anything there should be little risk, however I wouldn't get too excited about that money coming through.

Asus X99-Deluxe  |  i7 5820k  |  16GB DDR4  |  MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G  |  Samsung 850 Evo + 840 Evo 500GB  |  NZXT H440