The Chromebook Challenge!

XDroidie626

Okay so I am going to try to live on my chromebook for two weeks straight, my desktop while still there will be used for playing Fallout only unless I decide to get it on Xbox (GOTY is expensive)

I will be using a brand new email address, as to wipe my apps and other stuff, I will also be Powerwashing the device.

I will plan to do some arduino work as well as other projects, youtube and spotify as well as other things.

What do you think?

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

GO SLEEVE YOUR PSU CABLES!

Because he had a hard drive.

Okay so I am going to try to live on my chromebook for two weeks straight, my desktop while still there will be used for playing Fallout only unless I decide to get it on Xbox (GOTY is expensive)

I will be using a brand new email address, as to wipe my apps and other stuff, I will also be Powerwashing the device.

I will plan to do some arduino work as well as other projects, youtube and spotify as well as other things.

What do you think?

hope it don't melt on you

RIP OP.

F.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

No no no. If you want to do a challenge like this, you can;t use ANYTHING else. You must use your Chromebook exclusively. Else that is cheating. You may use a game console, of course, but not a desktop computer, unless it runs exclusively ChromeOS.

The games you can play on it are the ones available from the App store in ChromeOS.

No no no. If you want to do a challenge like this, you can;t use ANYTHING else. You must use your Chromebook exclusively. Else that is cheating. You may use a game console, of course, but not a desktop computer, unless it runs exclusively ChromeOS.

The games you can play on it are the ones available from the App store in ChromeOS.

I feel tho Chrome os was to be used With a windows desktop pc.

I feel tho Chrome os was to be used With a windows desktop pc.

The idea is for people who don't need video editing and all that, and only use their computer for browsing and word processing to have a crazy cheap computer that basically runs chrome browser as an OS.

What do you think?

My windows laptop broke down about a half a year ago, but since my chromebook does everything I need it to do, my parents won't let me build one, so I've subsisted entirely off of a school issue (dev mode locked down, so no linux) chromebook for about 6 months and have pretty much maxed all the functionality it has, so if you need help with something, message me. A helpful tip before you start, there's a beta runtime for android installable in chrome, so you can run android apps on your chromebook.

As for what I think, I would say that you are in for a treat. I would say it sarcastically. Chromebooks make perfectly fine ultrabooks, you don't need much on them, (though I would still use a windows laptop) and they will probably do everything you need a laptop to do, but using it exclusively is a huge pain.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

So then what is the point in getting a Chromebook? I mean you can find a similarly priced Windows powered laptop. HP and Acer has released models, and HP announced a Windows 10 model coming out soon. And yes, Windows runs fine on them.

So then what is the point in getting a Chromebook? I mean you can find a similarly priced Windows powered laptop. HP and Acer has released models, and HP announced a Windows 10 model coming out soon. And yes, Windows runs fine on them.

Easier to use (for some), less malware, integrates well with Google services, does not need updating every month, and they tend to boot faster too.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Easier to use (for some), less malware, integrates well with Google services, does not need updating every month, and they tend to boot faster too.

Boot faster? A modern Windows system boot from the power button 'click' sound when you press it to desktop fully loaded in ~6sec.

Lack of updates is concerning to me, Android gets more updates than this, which suggests to me Google doesn't really care about the platform.

Google services are very lacking in comparison to the competition.

Boot faster? A modern Windows system boot from the power button 'click' sound when you press it to desktop fully loaded in ~6sec.

Lack of updates is concerning to me, Android gets more updates than this, which suggests to me Google doesn't really care about the platform.

Google services are very lacking in comparison to the competition.

A modern Windows system with an SSD, that is. Unfortunately, most laptops in the Chromebook price range have slow 5400rpm mechanical drives. And I can tell from first-hand expereince that they do not boot in 6 seconds, even with a fresh install of Windows. Chrome OS gets the same updates as Chrome itself if i remember correctly, and they are much more seamless. And please tell me, how does Chrome OS have worse Google service integration than Windows?

Chromebooks are great devices and are really well-suited for a lot of people who only needs basic PC functionality (browsing, word docs, facebook, youtube, netflix etc.). I have an Acer C710 I picked up refurbished just over a year ago. First thing I did was swap out the horribly slow 5400rpm 320GB HDD for a cheap 120GB AData SSD and doubled the ram to 4GB. Those two upgrades made the device SO much nicer to use. Boot time is about 7 seconds and shut down is about 5. It also doesn't skip a beat even with a dozen tabs or so open. 2GB was nowhere near enough. 4GB may not seem like a lot, but don't forget, it's only running Chrome. Not Chrome on top of Windows. ;)

Prior to the Chromebook, I had an Asus Transformer tablet (1st gen, TF101) with detachable keyboard but I found it too awkward and troublesome to use as a "laptop" device because of the Android OS - clearly geared more for purely mobile/touch devices. Some sites would load the mobile versions and not all websites, plugins were compatible. So I sold the tablet, got the Chromebook instead and have had no regrets ever since. They are great little devices, I use mine almost every day. :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

A modern Windows system with an SSD, that is. Unfortunately, most laptops in the Chromebook price range have slow 5400rpm mechanical drives. And I can tell from first-hand expereince that they do not boot in 6 seconds, even with a fresh install of Windows. Chrome OS gets the same updates as Chrome itself if i remember correctly, and they are much more seamless. And please tell me, how does Chrome OS have worse Google service integration than Windows?

Not really. And they do boot fairly fast with eMMc memory, and those are pretty cheap memory.

ChromeOS cannot properly work with Office document. I would argue that it is worse than OpenOffice and LibreOffice.

In addition, its music service is extreamly limited compared to Microsoft solution, or Apple new solution (which isn't availible on ChromeOS), or Spotify. You are forced to use very privacy intrusive services from Google, while on Windows, you can opt in to not use Google web browser. In addition, Windows eco-system has billions of software availible, while ChromOS is a fraction of Android.

ChromeOS has a locked down file system, not allowing to have full control of your system. In addition, you are forced to use apps from the ChromOS apps store.

The keyboard of ChromeOS get rid of important function keys, preventing powerful productivity software to be made.

Online access needed for full eperience. IM is blocked with Google service, No OneDrive support, and DropBox has serious issues.

Not really. And they do boot fairly fast with eMMc memory, and those are pretty cheap memory.

ChromeOS cannot properly work with Office document. I would argue that it is worse than OpenOffice and LibreOffice.

In addition, its music service is extreamly limited compared to Microsoft solution, or Apple new solution (which isn't availible on ChromeOS), or Spotify. You are forced to use very privacy intrusive services from Google, while on Windows, you can opt in to not use Google web browser. In addition, Windows eco-system has billions of software availible, while ChromOS is a fraction of Android.

ChromeOS has a locked down file system, not allowing to have full control of your system. In addition, you are forced to use apps from the ChromOS apps store.

The keyboard of ChromeOS get rid of important function keys, preventing powerful productivity software to be made.

Online access needed for full eperience. IM is blocked with Google service, No OneDrive support, and DropBox has serious issues.

Alright. Chrome OS indeed does not work well with non-Google services. But for a basic user who just browses the web, Chrome OS would be a better solution. The person managing their system wouldn't have to worry about updating it every month, and malware is very hard to find.