Which of these routers should I get?

mattrunyon
Go to solution Solved by failblox,

Ok thanks. Ya I wanted to avoid renting because I never hear good things about them. Also cheaper in the long run to buy.

Will the 10/100 ethernet affect anything? I don't think we will have any devices plugged directly into the router. It should be find handling 6 or so devices at a time?

Wait woah - that doesn't even have gigabit ethernet. Not that there's necessarily anything bad about that - but you have 200Mb/s internet so you won't even be able to fully utilize that bandwidth on a wired connection, let alone a wireless one.

If you're really sure you're not going to be using wired ethernet then go ahead and get the RT-AC52U if you really can't afford anything else. If you can spare the money though, I'd recommend the RT-AC56U - it's a bit more, but it has more features and it'll serve you better in the long run.

I recommend spending a bit more. I alone spent $400 on routers each costs $200. From the 2, I like my Airport Extreme. It bring almost Ethernet speed. My home is pretty long too. The signal never drops.

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

You're gonna wanna increase your budget quite a bit.

My router cost me about $150USD, and the little brother to it is $120USD or so I think.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Do you have any wireless AC devices? Also, what kind of things are you going to be doing on this network?

You may want to check out this router though: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320115&cm_re=asus_rt-ac66u-_-33-320-115-_-Product

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Do you have any wireless AC devices? Also, what kind of things are you going to be doing on this network?

You may want to check out this router though: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320115&cm_re=asus_rt-ac66u-_-33-320-115-_-Product

Video streaming, some gaming. There will be 4 people living in the house. I think a few of our PCs have AC. What is the benefit to the more expensive routers other than possibly extended range? The connection speed we are supposed to be getting is 200mbps, so would the network connection from the wall not be the bottleneck with a 750mbps router?

Video streaming, some gaming. There will be 4 people living in the house. I think a few of our PCs have AC. What is the benefit to the more expensive routers other than possibly extended range? The connection speed we are supposed to be getting is 200mbps, so would the network connection from the wall not be the bottleneck with a 750mbps router?

You don't have a NAS in your house at all? Cause if you do then you're gonna suck up the bandwidth of those routers you chose really easily. Other than that though, there's better reliability as well Dual Band capabilities. Basically if you have multiple devices that are streaming data to/from your router at the same time, even though your connection speed may be 200Mb/s, the two antennas will be able to spread out the data more evenly so that your devices don't end up causing a traffic jam on one antenna. I believe Linus has a video on Dual Band routers - I'll link it if I can find it.

Edit: Ok he doesn't have one on dual band, but he has one on triple band...it's essentially the same idea though.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

You don't have a NAS in your house at all? Cause if you do then you're gonna suck up the bandwidth of those routers you chose really easily. Other than that though, there's better reliability as well Dual Band capabilities. Basically if you have multiple devices that are streaming data to/from your router at the same time, even though your connection speed may be 200Mb/s, the two antennas will be able to spread out the data more evenly so that your devices don't end up causing a traffic jam on one antenna. I believe Linus has a video on Dual Band routers - I'll link it if I can find it.

Edit: Ok he doesn't have one on dual band, but he has one on triple band...it's essentially the same idea though.

Ok I see. The routers I listed were dual band, but the reasoning is making more sense. Wondering what specs Suddenlink's router has if I were to rent modem+router at $10/mo.

And no NAS. Don't have that much data and mainly streaming from Netflix or similar sites. Also somewhat poor college students so can't spend $300 on a basic NAS setup for no reason.

Ok I see. The routers I listed were dual band, but the reasoning is making more sense. Wondering what specs Suddenlink's router has if I were to rent modem+router at $10/mo.

And no NAS. Don't have that much data and mainly streaming from Netflix or similar sites. Also somewhat poor college students so can't spend $300 on a basic NAS setup for no reason.

Ah whoops my bad I didn't see that...

Suddenlink is your ISP I'm assuming - but generally I'd try and avoid renting those combo units cause the built in routers are usually atrocious. In your case though since you don't have a NAS, I think the ASUS RT-AC52U looks like a pretty good choice.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Ah whoops my bad I didn't see that...

Suddenlink is your ISP I'm assuming - but generally I'd try and avoid renting those combo units cause the built in routers are usually atrocious. In your case though since you don't have a NAS, I think the ASUS RT-AC52U looks like a pretty good choice.

Ok thanks. Ya I wanted to avoid renting because I never hear good things about them. Also cheaper in the long run to buy.

Will the 10/100 ethernet affect anything? I don't think we will have any devices plugged directly into the router. It should be find handling 6 or so devices at a time?

Wait woah - that doesn't even have gigabit ethernet. Not that there's necessarily anything bad about that - but you have 200Mb/s internet so you won't even be able to fully utilize that bandwidth on a wired connection, let alone a wireless one.

If you're really sure you're not going to be using wired ethernet then go ahead and get the RT-AC52U if you really can't afford anything else. If you can spare the money though, I'd recommend the RT-AC56U - it's a bit more, but it has more features and it'll serve you better in the long run.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Ya I just noticed that it didn't have gigabit. I think I'll go with the RT-AC56U. I can spend a bit more, just don't want to spend $150-200 on a router at this stage. Thank you so much for all the help!