Overclocker Takes Intel Core i7-6700K to 5.2GHz

Codymm03

Compare DDR4 and DDR3 at the same clocks. DDR4 is cheap. You can get a G.Skill 4x4 kit at 3200MHz for just $190! That is dirt cheap!

$190 is expensive to me... In real world applications why would you wanna go above 2400mhz anyway. If I needed I'd just deal with it an get a kit of g.skill 2x8 2133mhz which doesn't look as good as the Kingston HyperX ram I've got picked out it'll do the job fine,

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f42133c15d16grr More around the lines of this...

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

$190 is expensive to me... In real world applications why would you wanna go above 2400mhz anyway. If I needed I'd just deal with it an get a kit of g.skill 2x8 2133mhz which doesn't look as good as the Kingston HyperX ram I've got picked out it'll do the job fine,

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f42133c15d16grr More around the lines of this...

Compared to the $500+ you'd pay for a DDR3 kit at the same speed, that's cheap. That said, you can get 16 GB for less than $100 in DDR4. Contrary to the rumor mill it's not nearly as expensive compared to DDR3 as some would have you believe. That said, Asrock has a board with both memory standards on it, so you can have your choice as long as you don't intend to do serious overclocking.

I'm into running and testing HPC apps I code on my own desktop. The higher bandwidth (currently on dual-channel DDR3 1333) would help undo a big bottleneck I've been having lately.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Compared to the $500+ you'd pay for a DDR3 kit at the same speed, that's cheap. That said, you can get 16 GB for less than $100 in DDR4. Contrary to the rumor mill it's not nearly as expensive compared to DDR3 as some would have you believe. That said, Asrock has a board with both memory standards on it, so you can have your choice as long as you don't intend to do serious overclocking.

I'm into running and testing HPC apps I code on my own desktop. The higher bandwidth (currently on dual-channel DDR3 1333) would help undo a big bottleneck I've been having lately.

Yeah but you really don't notice the difference with the ram speeds unless you've got an APU. 2133mhz will be fine for years to come.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

Yeah but you really don't notice the difference with the ram speeds unless you've got an APU. 2133mhz will be fine for years to come.

I am with you there on that 190 bucks is spendy also how do you change the name below your offical name

I am with you there on that 190 bucks is spendy also how do you change the name below your offical name

You've got to have 1000 post or something like that.

You've got to have 1000 post or something like that.

That makes since

Well obviously that's an enthusiast product, but compared to the $500+ for the equivalent DDR3 3200 kit, that is dirt cheap! And Samsung is driving RAM prices into the floor right now. Another 3 weeks and the entry level stuff will drop another $10 or more in price.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

For iGPU and any task that requires data streaming from memory without interspersed reuse, benefits will be seen.

For iGPU and any task that requires data streaming from memory without interspersed reuse, benefits will be seen.

Yeah but my wallet won't be seeing any benefits.

Well obviously that's an enthusiast product, but compared to the $500+ for the equivalent DDR3 3200 kit, that is dirt cheap! And Samsung is driving RAM prices into the floor right now. Another 3 weeks and the entry level stuff will drop another $10 or more in price.

The entry stuff will prob be sold out in 3 weeks when Skylake launches. 

The entry stuff will prob be sold out in 3 weeks when Skylake launches.

Nah. Skylake so far looks like just 10% over Broadwell if the current benchmark leaks are to be believed. Not to mention Dell and other big OEMs already bought their massive share of DDR4 for their PCs. With Samsung flooding the memory markets. We'll be fine for the Skylake launch imho.

Nah. Skylake so far looks like just 10% over Broadwell if the current benchmark leaks are to be believed. Not to mention Dell and other big OEMs already bought their massive share of DDR4 for their PCs. With Samsung flooding the memory markets. We'll be fine for the Skylake launch imho.

problem is everyone will gravitate to the cheaper stuff in the 100-130 range. it wouldn't surprise me to see crucial and g.skill on backorder in a few weeks on their entry level stuff. 

also skylake is shaping up to have better OC capabilities than haswell so total performance increase looks higher than 10%.  

problem is everyone will gravitate to the cheaper stuff in the 100-130 range. it wouldn't surprise me to see crucial and g.skill on backorder in a few weeks on their entry level stuff.

also skylake is shaping up to have better OC capabilities than haswell so total performance increase looks higher than 10%.

So far we have one overclocker hitting 5.2GHz on air when Devil's Canyon only hit 5 on air for the same high end engineering samples when DC had a 4-4.4 GHz stock clock range and the 6700K is 4-4.2. That means the standard deviation of the distribution is larger, and the spread is larger. The mean could be in the same place around 4.6-4.8GHz at 1.3 volts as it was for Devil's Canyon. And at the very least Kingston will have supplies to spare thanks to Samsung.