Maximum Amps/Voltage Supported on 4 Pin CPU Fan Header

Go to solution Solved by d1screet,

I'd imagine it would vary greatly from motherboard to motherboard. Why not just invest in a Molex to 4-pin splitter with PWM support? You can draw power straight from the PSU while still maintaining PWM support for RPM readings and fan controls.

Hi all,

I would like to run a Push/Pull on my H105 240mm radiator, but am unsure if my motherboard (ASUS Sabertooth p67) will support 4 PWM fans on a single 4pin CPU_FAN header using a 1-4 splitter. The fans I'm looking at buying are the Corsair SP 120 Quiet Edition that each run @ 12v/0.08amps. I've already checked my mobo manual/online documentation, but found nothing to really help me out. Does anyone know the maximum supported amps/voltages that the 4pin CPU_FAN header supports? 

Your help is greatly appreciated!

I'd imagine it would vary greatly from motherboard to motherboard. Why not just invest in a Molex to 4-pin splitter with PWM support? You can draw power straight from the PSU while still maintaining PWM support for RPM readings and fan controls.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 750Ti
Case: Corsair Air 240 White Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB PSU: Corsair CX500 Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: SteelSeries Kinzu V2 Operating System: Windows 8.1N

Yep, this is exactly what I did. I dug a bit more into products and found one that would support up to 8 fans by sending the PWM signal to them all, while powering them via molex. Exactly as you suggested. 

• 2 months later...

Yep, this is exactly what I did. I dug a bit more into products and found one that would support up to 8 fans by sending the PWM signal to them all, while powering them via molex. Exactly as you suggested. 

Just curious as to what you actually bought. I've recently got a Phobya 8x PWM splitter which has molex support. If i'm correct in understanding this thread, are you saying that using one of these splitters will not actually draw power from the motherboard, so there isn't a risk of blowing a fan header because it's powered via molex? Or will it still draw some (or the same amount of) power because the header is still connected to the splitter? 

I hope this makes sense... 

Thanks! 

Intel i7 8700k, ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7 10Gb, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  FTW3 GAMING iCX, 64GB Kingston Fury, EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W, Alienware AW3418DW

Macbook Pro mid 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM