Wireless adapter

ColdDigital

Hey,

Im building a gaming pc soon and need a good wireless adapter for it. Should I go for one that is USB or straight built into the pc? This is probably a stupid question: Is it possible to use the wifi repeater in the corridor and "convert" it to a ethernet cable?

Thanks

<-----><-----><-----><-----><-----><-----><-----><-----><-----><----->

Cold

It's always best to get one that's "built in" but I think what you're looking for is something like a powerline adapter

I'd deffo go with a PCI adapter, something from TP-link if you want a cheaper one. Look out for 802.11ac for the fastest connections, and you might as well plug an Ethernet into it because there would still be that "wireless" gap, unless I'm mistaking your meaning. Do you mean plug the computer into the repeater, or repeater into the hub?

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

It's always best to get one that's "built in" but I think what you're looking for is something like a powerline adapter

Second this.

This may help:

Also powerline has improved a lot in recent years. That video was released in 2009.

Sig under construction.

You should try and use ethernet if you can, but if you can't then just go ahead with wifi. I'm not too sure what you mean by a "repeater" though. Do you mean you would have something that took a wifi signal and converted that to an ethernet connection that you could plug into your computer?

As for the wireless adapter, I'd say go with one that's build into your computer - it'll just make thing simpler (and it won't take up a USB port on the back).

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Second this.

This may help:

Also powerline has improved a lot in recent years. That video was released in 2009.

AC wifi has improved as well. 

With the right card you can match a wired internet connection. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

I'd deffo go with a PCI adapter, something from TP-link if you want a cheaper one. Look out for 802.11ac for the fastest connections, and you might as well plug an Ethernet into it because there would still be that "wireless" gap, unless I'm mistaking your meaning. Do you mean plug the computer into the repeater, or repeater into the hub?

I mean like taking the wifi connection from the repeater and converting it into a ethernet output where you could put in a cable to connect to the computer.

<-----><-----><-----><-----><-----><-----><-----><-----><-----><----->

Cold

I mean like taking the wifi connection from the repeater and converting it into a ethernet output where you could put in a cable to connect to the computer.

Yes, but I wouldn't recommend doing that and I'd recommend going for a stronger card in the computer instead. That sort of device generally isn't that good.

Sig under construction.