Irrigation setup help?

slifer

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone here has experience dealing with irrigation systems.. So I want to create a system to help water the garden, and the garden is rectangular, around 5 feet deep and 15-20 feet long. Theres quite a few of plants so I've been looking at the pop up sprinkler heads instead of the drip irrigation...

So my questions for drip irrigation are..

1) What parts are needed? I see that there are panels that control when it goes off, but what would be the simplest way of doing this?

2) What would the estimated cost be for something like this? I was thinking about 3 or 4 sprinkler heads, 2 at the corners which will shoot towards the fence (and not the driveway on the other side) and then either one or two in the middle spaced equally depending on their spray distance.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated!

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone here has experience dealing with irrigation systems.. So I want to create a system to help water the garden, and the garden is rectangular, around 5 feet deep and 15-20 feet long. Theres quite a few of plants so I've been looking at the pop up sprinkler heads instead of the drip irrigation...

1) What parts are needed? I see that there are panels that control when it goes off, but what would be the simplest way of doing this?

2) What would the estimated cost be for something like this? I was thinking about 3 or 4 sprinkler heads, 2 at the corners which will shoot towards the fence (and not the driveway on the other side) and then either one or two in the middle spaced equally depending on their spray distance.

You DO realize this is a tech forum? Yes i know its off topic, but youre asking for gardening advice :P

You DO realize this is a tech forum? Yes i know its off topic, but youre asking for gardening advice :P

Yeah, but theres a bit of tech in this too! Just maybe a different type of tech.. but hey theres a lot of people here and maybe some are irrigation experts, who set them up for a living.. worth a try I guess!

I'm thinking about going out and do something similar since I have a lot of time during the summer holiday, I've thought about this and the way that I would do this is by connecting a pump to our rain water "basin" or to a reservoir which I could control with some sort of weird arduino contraption which I would have to figure out first. I would probably split a hose into multiple smaller ones which would each go to a different plant. According to my aunt some plants/bushes have specific watering needs (new to gardening :P). I would use the arduino to control when water would be released where (no idea how I would get the valves set up like this yet). The hoses would finaly arrive under the plant/bushes leaves to water the roots :D

I hope my fantasy helps you a bit!

Just get a kit from the local hardware store they aren't very expensive or high tech things just a valve and a timer on some of the nicer units with some lengths of tubing:

http://www.lowes.ca/irrigation-accessories/rain-bird-drip-irrigation-starter-kit_10183493.html?af=3632&cse=3632&gclid=CLL-19ig6MYCFQswaQodSFcOoA&gclsrc=aw.ds

I am more experienced with drip irrigation than sprinklers, but I'd recommend searching around your local area for greenhouse supply shops. Talk to someone there and I'm sure they'd be glad to help you out. The folks at Griffin Greenhouse Supplies helped out when I needed some guidance, but I think they mainly deal with businesses so it might be hard for you to get together with them. I assisted setting up a drip irrigation system for a small fruit orchard, so I'm not too experienced but I've done it.

Anyway, here's some stuff that you'll probably need:

Water source (obviously, but it's good to know your flow rate / GPH)

Hoses (again, obviously, but there are some designed specifically to be punctured with a special tool to insert an emitter)

Emitters, sprinklers, sprayers, whatever--the thing the water comes out of (again, good to know what GPH you have / what you want)

Valves (these are cheap and help setting stuff up/troubleshooting)

Timer (often called controllers)

Some helpful links:

http://www.irrigationdirect.com/expert-advice/drip-irrigation-tutorials/designing-and-planning-your-drip-irrigation-system

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/drip-irrigation-design-guidelines-basics-of-measurements-parts-and-more/

As for cost, that varies. For your needs, I doubt you'd spend too much over $100. The most expensive part would likely be the controller.

I saw this thread this morning but didn't respond 

but the most boring people I've ever met in this world have very limited interests. who the fuck cares if it's doesn't run on a FUCKING PC its the off topic section. go outside, get away from your precious PC and experience something new.

in the back of my mind I've been toying with the idea of making a balcony garden but maybe next year right now I'm just gathering mats for making something with wood pallets

as for irrigation Instructables ftw. there is even a primer on a mini arduino system for potted plants that you can adapt to something on a larger scale and of course there are the regular drip irrigation ones. use the search on that site.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Automatic-Watering-System-For-Plants/

LinusWateringTips?

In all seriousness, I wish I could be of help. But irrigation is one of the few things I have no experience in when it comes to gardening, heh.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14