Is my internet speed being throttled?

xAlphaStick

I am a resident of Australia so my internet expectations are incredibly low. However not being able to watch a twitch stream when it is set to low quality is unbelievable. (It loads when I am using mobile setting but that quality is unwatchable.

Is my ISP throttling my connection? 

This is a screenshot of the networking tab in task manager. http://gyazo.com/cd09ff8f11e3e82ffabd27710c2531d1

Whenever I am receiving at least 500kbps my connection is fine. But it inevitably drops below that and I start buffering. The connection is so unstable that I am starting to think my ISP is throttling my connection.

I have an ADSL2+ connection and I am connected through ethernet to my modem.

Desktop:  MSi GTX 680 Lightning - MSi Mpower Z77- i7 3770k - Asus Xonar DGX  - 16Gb Ares Ram - GX 750w PSU

Laptop: MSi GE 60 - GTX 765m - i74700MQ - 8gb ram

ADSL? :blink: Woah. What's your speedtest? (speedtest.net)

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

ADSL? :blink: Woah. What's your speedtest? (speedtest.net)

4515986981.png

Edit: Note the faster than 51% of AU

Desktop:  MSi GTX 680 Lightning - MSi Mpower Z77- i7 3770k - Asus Xonar DGX  - 16Gb Ares Ram - GX 750w PSU

fritz.box.... I think you need a new router...

4515986981.png

Edit: Note the faster than 51% of AU

fritz.box.... I think you need a new router...

Try plugging directly into the modem and run another test. Your router might be 'bottlenecking'(slowing down) your network. Did your ISP give you any predicted bandwidth capacity when you signed up for their internet plan?

From the speedtest, your internet speeds are performing to ADSL 1's maximum spec and not ADSL2+

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Try plugging directly into the modem and run another test. Your router might be 'bottlenecking'(slowing down) your network. Did your ISP give you any predicted bandwidth capacity when you signed up for their internet plan?

From the speedtest, your internet speeds are performing to ADSL 1's maximum spec and not ADSL2+

I tried it again and got this 4516015247.png

Very marginal difference

They never estimated up and down values but found this page on their website http://www.internode.on.net/residential/adsl_broadband/easy_broadband/performance/

Its quite sad really that they can only give the percentage of customers that achieved a certain speed in 2006. This is 2015 and I live in the CBD of the city of I live in. I expect a little more.

I think I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Speedtest recognises my IP as iiNet but that isnt the case. I have internode. Funnily enough they have a large marketing campaign featured around games. Even though I am sitting here unable to watch twitch streams and play csgo with a ping of 100ms.

They could be throttling high bandwidth services such as twitch, youtube, netflix, p2p, etc. I am sure they have a clause some where in there terms of service that allows them to do it.

if you gonna be sticking with copper line, I would suggest get a master filter installed, the reason being:-

1. xDSL filters in house can be faulty, and it's gonna be a pain to find out which if you have lots around the house.

2. each filter actually adding noise to your copper line, so master filter will keep it down to just one filter. 

Not sure about in Australia but in New Zealand all install of copper line are required a master filter now.

it look something like this:-

6f17de83d2c14984bee74bfa288b630e.jpg

I tried it again and got this 4516015247.png

Very marginal difference

They never estimated up and down values but found this page on their website http://www.internode.on.net/residential/adsl_broadband/easy_broadband/performance/

Its quite sad really that they can only give the percentage of customers that achieved a certain speed in 2006. This is 2015 and I live in the CBD of the city of I live in. I expect a little more.

I think I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Speedtest recognises my IP as iiNet but that isnt the case. I have internode. Funnily enough they have a large marketing campaign featured around games. Even though I am sitting here unable to watch twitch streams and play csgo with a ping of 100ms.

Internode is part of iinet. iiNet and internode share the same quota free zone too...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Compared to my school internet. (thanks to the nbn)

4522458573.png

if you gonna be sticking with copper line, I would suggest get a master filter installed, the reason being:-

1. xDSL filters in house can be faulty, and it's gonna be a pain to find out which if you have lots around the house.

2. each filter actually adding noise to your copper line, so master filter will keep it down to just one filter. 

Not sure about in Australia but in New Zealand all install of copper line are required a master filter now.

it look something like this:-

6f17de83d2c14984bee74bfa288b630e.jpg

I am only a few months away from having a full fibre connection so it probably isnt worth it.

I am only a few months away from having a full fibre connection so it probably isnt worth it.

few months away from NBN, prolly not worth doing it unless you want to setup something like fallover on your copper line.

;)  anyhow I will stop giving you ideas, good luck.