X99 "Nyxie" Epic Rig Build Log

Drixen

While technology still molds around bare spots in the PC tech industry, people still find the desire and need to boot out the so-called "out dated" product lines. In macro sense, our technology found on DDR3, still fuels the plethora of possibilities in that sector. However, in another quadrant, our micro sense soars across the horizon searching for a better, bigger, and more efficient way of doing things; DDR4. With the introduction of x99, many of the public's opinions have been rather balanced in a sense of understanding and a welcome. With so many who search within linustechtips.com or other YouTubers like JayzTwoCentz, they find themselves very familiar and content with this shift. However, some who are more of a casual/modest user, can find this shift quite blinding to their eyes, making them fall back and prep some defense forces up. In a last hoorah attempt to save their opinions, these casual/modest users will defend the traditional standard of that current time, which in a sense is super smart and quite the inexpensive route.

So where am I going with all of this? Why does it sound so neutral and drug out? Because it is. It's exactly that. It's a time in PC tech where it almost seems stagnant- it packs a punch while lurking in an already known fashion. X99 sure is magnificent, with its updated Haswell-E CPU's, making even the eco-friendly tree hugger foam out of his or her mouth in knowing that the TDP is 140w.

But in all seriousness, the only real winning segment is the fact that these sockets support DDR4. It's designed to bridge the already expansive environment into the Outlands suburbs, giving the end user a similar route... whereas Skylake for example, will be not bridging the already known and will rather catapult you into the heart of the Outlands and will leave you to dissect the brand new environment.

While we can all sit here and argue and agree, we do have to say one thing that is universal- X99 is beautiful. Welcome to Drixen's build log feat. "Nyxie", an X99 faerie of intimacy and performance. Stay tuned!!

post-233360-0-85767900-1437276969.jpg

post-233360-0-85767900-1437276969.jpg

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ PROJECT: GreenLANTERN (click to view)

Update: After 3.5 weeks the build is up and running and is solid. Come to find out EVGA X99 Micro mobo's have been shipping with inconsistent BIOS versions on the BIOS chips. After verifying I had an original BIOS version- my RAM which was 2666mhz was not supported in the 1st version, only 2133mhz and SOME 2400mhz, brand dependent. 

Now that I purchased a 8GB kit of Crucial 2133 DDR4 RAM, I used it for core installation of OS, and BIOS update. Then immediately swapped for my Hyper X 2666, and wallah. Problem solved!

• 3 weeks later...

Stability is not too shabby, sitting at a cool running temperature. Man I love the Corsair H100i GTX... great product! Used their AIO's in the past, but it was the H80.. big upgrade for me to be with the behemoth H100i.

post-233360-0-99567200-1439127551_thumb.

I am amazed at how this computer performs. Temps are always between 26*c-32*c idle and 36*c-47*c in games when settings are on ultra. Absolutely astonishing. Being very familiar with overclocking greatly, I have yet to find a reason to even consider performing an overclock just yet. While I see a purpose at maybe a 2-3 gigahertz overclock, anything beyond that to me seems silly. If I was into heavy rendering, compiling or even post production work, then yes I would say I have justified a need... but until that day comes, I am perfectly happy with this CPU at the current variables and setup. :D

Updates: Been chugging along great! I already want to get rid of my H100i GTX and go back to a custom loop. I have been a water cool guy for quite some time and thought that I'd be satisfied with an AIO kit and I already miss custom water cool loops..

To add: the Xbox controller is for racing games only when I am too lazy to pull out the massive steering wheel! ;)

IMG_20150812_201251518.jpg

IMG_20150812_202449229.jpg