A tale of a PC builder

amd133mhz

I have been a member of the LTT forums for a bit now and figured I would post my rig, in its entirety. Everything I could think of I managed to get on the list. Please note the prices on pc part picker are NOT what I paid. Some things cost more,some less. I could not remember but the parts list is 99% accurate minus the speakers,as the ones I am rocking I have had since '04 and they still work great for my gaming needs.Same brand and set up though.

I had actually typed this up once already and in the middle of it, my PC crashed. It has been doing this lovely thing where it reboots itself randomly. This has been happening since I added my GTX 980 to the mix, although I do not think that it is causing the issue. It was a bit of irony as I was singing my rigs praises and it decided that was the best time to sh*t the bed. A few hours of troubleshooting later and it hasn't done it and I am no closer to figuring out what's causing it. :)

Anyways. Here is my rig as of 7-18-15!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/F3mPkL

A tale of a PC builder:

I have been into PC building since I was a kid. A family friend introduced me into it. He gave me a bunch of parts and showed me everything from DOS 6.2 to Windows 3.11. Oddly enough, he made me promise I would never use the parts he gave me to play games, as he felt they melted your brain. I uh..did not hold up my end of the promise for very long once I discovered Doom,rebel assault and a-10 tank killer.

At one point I had built, from spare parts I was given, a machine that ran a AMD 133mhz processor with windows 95 and a ATI rage XL 8mb pci video card. That was one of my favorite machines.Eventually I managed to build a rig that had a 1ghz AMD Athlon processor, 786mb of DDR-266 ram and a ATI Radeon 9000 64mb agp 8x card. Baller alert ;) This wa salso the machine I first played and beat Half Life 2 on.

After awhile I actually quit PC building and gaming for a few years. The XBOX 360 had just come out and during this time ,my machine required so many upgrades . I needed a new mobo to support pci express which had started to take over as AGP was being phased out. So it was just cheaper and most of my friends had made the switch. 

It wasn't until 2 years ago that I decided that the console market was over and jumped back into pc gaming, and brought a few friends with me this time.

You can imagine how thrilled I was to see my 10 year old steam account still alive and well with all my games (hl 1 and 2 and more) still available. 

I hope you enjoy this post. If you didn't ...sorry. 

I will leave you with this : the LTT community is by far the least toxic on the entire internet ,especially within the pc gaming/building community . Between the LTT YT channels and this forum, getting back into pc building and gaming has 1. never been easier and 2. never been so much fun..even with the headaches that come with building pc's vs just plug n play-ability of a console. Every time something dies, or my system reboots in the middle of a LTT forums post ;) and I swear that's it! I'm done with PC..I find myself at microcenter again, upgrading to a GTX 980 from a 970 I just bought less than 6 months ago.

Pics(not the greatest I know, If it helps, I've rewired everything inside and out since uploading these)

http://imgur.com/6VrFXFy,m069QYt

no Radeon GPU? You betrayed ATI :(

Jokes aside, looks good. I'd probably get an i5 since stronger cores are better atm but in the future games will probably be able to take advantage of the 8 cores making it equal to the 3570.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

You have been a member of forum for some time and still didn't ask us to openly bash your FX/980 combo? :P Cmon man you are better then FX. An yway nice story I always found PC better then consoles no matter then money. I mean wtf console doesen't have mouse lol playing without fast camera is pain

Catman - a Wolverine wanna be 

no Radeon GPU? You betrayed ATI :(

Jokes aside, looks good. I'd probably get an i5 since stronger cores are better atm but in the future games will probably be able to take advantage of the 8 cores making it equal to the 3570.

If my issue of the system persists , I may end up buying a new mobo and cpu anyways. Figure at that point just go full green and blue :) But my roots are deep with AMD. I hope they can figure it out here soon.

You have been a member of forum for some time and still didn't ask us to openly bash your FX/980 combo? :P Cmon man you are better then FX. An yway nice story I always found PC better then consoles no matter then money. I mean wtf console doesen't have mouse lol playing without fast camera is pain

lulz  :D one day thats gonna be a 980/i5 combo probably. I will defend consoles for their simplicity but that is probably the biggest check they have going for them these days. I really wish the major console market would make the shift towards a similar concept of the steam machine. Simple,affordable but versatile and stronger performance.