Upgrading My CPU please help

Im planning on upgrading my CPU however im fairly new to this and i wonder should i really upgrade my CPU as i don't know if my current one is up to scratch. (Compared with my friends i have the worst PC)   My current CPU is an AMD Athlon X4 750k Quad core 4.00 Ghz and runs on an FM2+/FM2 Socket. I have asked other people but they suggest scrapping the motherboard and only using Intel and nvidea but i think their decision is biased as they hate AMD. Can anyone help?

Im planning on upgrading my CPU however im fairly new to this and i wonder should i really upgrade my CPU as i don't know if my current one is up to scratch. (Compared with my friends i have the worst PC)   My current CPU is an AMD Athlon X4 750k Quad core 4.00 Ghz and runs on an FM2+/FM2 Socket. I have asked other people but they suggest scrapping the motherboard and only using Intel and nvidea but i think their decision is biased as they hate AMD. Can anyone help?

What's your budget?

Ehh to be honest the only upgrade is the upcoming 870K and that's super minor (like... 15%?).

If you're happy and you just want a better PC than your friends keep your 750K as its a waste of money to buy anything else on that socket.

But people aren't being biased because they hate AMD, just the only real upgrade path worth money is to an Intel socket right now. The FM2(+) CPUs are all i3 grade, and the AM3+ CPUs are both a dead end and not that great for modern high end GPUs due to their age.

Without a budget, it will be difficult to guess a MB and CPU that fits perfectly in your budget... In my opinion, get an i5 and an (if non k) h97 and if k a z97 motherboard...

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

Depends on budget. Right not I'd stick with only Intel for CPUs because right now they are just better. For GPUs AMD and Nvidia are throwing blows at each other. They were being biased onnthe Nvidia part and probably Intel,to but AMD is just not the option for CPUs. What's your budget so you can get a new mobo and CPU?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

What will it be used for? If gaming don't even think about AMD.

@Disorderly scot

AMD does perfectly well in gaming. They Athlon CPUs can match an i3 in FPS up to a R9 380/GTX 960. I will not lie, a i3 will benefit more from a 290 or 390 then a Athlon 750k/860k. But both an i3 4330 or a Athlon 860k will pull 60FPS at 1080p in almost all games there is, bar 2 or 3 where they both get hammered.

Before touting misconceptions, learn some facts. Only FX sucks balls in 9/10 situations, well FX sucks balls even in that last 1/10. But just slightly less then an i3 or i5 does.

Steamroller (aka FM2+) has higher IPC then FX, sure its well below haswell, but not so far that it completely cripples it in gaming performance, the cores themselves are stronger then the Piledriver ones used in FX chips. So clock for clock, Steamroller is MUCH better then FX. Like WAY better.

Still, Phenom X6 > Athlon X4 860k/750k > FX whatever in IPC.

If you need facts, just check these reviews. yes the i3 will win with a few FPS, but considering the 860k (A10 7850k is the same CPU, so if you remove the 50 USD GPU inside the APU, then your left with a 860k) is 65 USD and a mobo with good OC capabilities is 45 USD (similar to a good B85 intel board actually). Well, you will save 70 USD over the i3 closest to it.

G3258 is a toy, dual core with only 2 threads cannot run all modern games, GTA V for example gets stutters and freezes, even with high overclocks, so quad core really is where it is at for buttersmooth operation in games made from 2011 and newer. Before that, then yes, Intel would have an advantage, but you would still get 60+ FPS with even a FX....

and here is some links you can read. Remember 7850k = 860k + a R7 250X. so CPU performance is the exact same as a normal 860k. 7870k is just a mildly OCd 860k with a iGPU.

http://anandtech.com/show/9307/the-kaveri-refresh-godavari-review-testing-amds-a10-7870k/6

https://youtu.be/mQ4PP24dBXg?t=398

Heres the link to the article behind that YT video

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Systems/Quad-Core-Gaming-Hardware-Roundup/BioShock-Infinite-and-Civilization-Beyond-Earth

below 290X, Athlon 860k or the Athlon 750k is a fantastic buy. So no need to change it.

@Disorderly scot

R9 380 + Athlon 750k or 860k (if you want a mild update) will reach 60FPS + in most games at 1080p

So unless you own a 100-144Hz monitor, or plan to purchase one anytime soon, your current CPU, or a 860k will be all you need for a while longer.