HELP! 980ti or Pascal?

Mace ya face

Hi, I was looking at a 980ti for my up-and-coming birthday at the end of the year. Though I find myself stuck. I know the rule  of "Upgrade or wait forever", but Pascal looks rather amazing. With HBM2, mixed precision + FP16, and supposed, "incredible" architectural changes, running on 16nm  FinFET. It all looks pretty good. Though will all this translate to gaming benefits?

TL;DR

1) How does the 16nm FinFET design benefit a gamer

2) How does Mixed Precision and FP16 also benefit?

3) Will HBM2 help me in the future with 1440p, due to rising texture resolutions?

Thanks

P.S. My current GPU is a 7850 @ 1080p

post-240425-0-71776100-1437151929_thumb.

post-240425-0-72835500-1437151937_thumb.

Why yes gavner I am int-oo these 'ere comuter machines I am! Too British?

Dude... the 980 Ti just came out, just get it now.

Pffttt... 1440P is for peasants, glorious (DSR) 5K  :D

Just get a MSI 980Ti now and play like this:

N2r8p4d.jpg

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

It will be another year before Pascal comes to market.  Can you wait that long?  If you upgrade today, can you save enough to get Pascal in 1 year?

Pascal brings 16nm and HBM2.  They are expecting 50% to 80% more performance over Maxwell.

edit:  I meant to mention that 16 nm means instead of 2850 Cuda cores, they will be able to squeeze 5000 to 6000 Cuda cores.  So yeah there is a huge benefit.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

It will be another year before Pascal comes to market.  Can you wait that long?  If you upgrade today, can you save enough to get Pascal in 1 year?

Pascal brings 16nm and HBM2.  They are expecting 50% to 80% more performance over Maxwell.

edit:  I meant to mention that 16 nm means instead of 2850 Cuda cores, they will be able to squeeze 5000 to 6000 Cuda cores.  So yeah there is a huge benefit.

50-80% compared to GTX 970/980 maybe, but 10-20% compared to a OC 980Ti

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Sorry about the late reply, internet is intermittent here. So assuming they can squeeze in a few more cores, won't the power reduction of FinFET and HBM allow much higher clocks?

Why yes gavner I am int-oo these 'ere comuter machines I am! Too British?

Sorry about the late reply, internet is intermittent here. So assuming they can squeeze in a few more cores, won't the power reduction of FinFET and HBM allow much higher clocks?

If they figure out how to control the temp on hbm yes but if not it's going to be locked like on amds fury gpus

I really hope they put Displayport 1.3 on those cards. That would be the only reason for me, to upgrade from a 980Ti to a Pascal card. 

With Displayport 1.3 we can finally push 4K 120hz or 8K 60hz.

What I think Pascal will be:

GTX 1060 = 970 or 980 performance, 4GB HBM V2

GTX 1070 = Titan X performance, 8GB HBM V2

GTX 1080 = Heavily overclocked GTX 980Ti performance, 8GB HBM V2

No 1080Ti or new Titan card until 6-12 months after release of Pascal. The 1080Ti or new Titan will have 16GB of HBM V2.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU