For anyone who has gone through the Intel Warranty process

Go to solution Solved by kristaps552,

It took around 2 weeks for the whole process, the support was great. 
I didn't have to pay for shipping or for anything else, they booked a courier who picked it up, just the cpu.
I explained all the troubleshooting that i've done and they were happy to replace it straight away.

P.s. It turned out that the issue wasn't in the cpu itself anyways, and I still do not know what is causing my system to only detect 8 out of 16 gb's of ram, even though cpu-z sees all the 16gb's. 

I've got a few questions for anyone who has gone through the Intel warranty replacement process for their CPU's.

How long did it take from RMA approval to CPU return/replacement?

Were there stringent requirements regarding the RMA approval process (for example troubleshooting, extensive reports, etc.)?

Were you overall happy with the entire process, or was it like a trip to the dentist?

My 5960X has been a great CPU thus far, but the wattage readouts only functioned for ~ 2 weeks when I initially bought the CPU. Not sure if this is a function of both HW Monitor & Intel XTU not able to handle the 200w+ draw from the socket, or if it's a defect within the CPU itself. Even at stock clocks my wattage readouts stay between 1-2w, when it is clearly pulling 150-350w. This has been true for both my X99 Deluxe and my X99 Sabertooth. I initially though it was a problem with my Deluxe, but the same exact problem still exists on my Sabertooth. This really wasn't a big deal to me at first since I was only running SLI 580's and I had a killawatt to get the total system draw, but as I've transitioned into SLI 970's, and I'm planning on SLI 980ti's eventually, knowing the CPU draw is going to be of greater concern to me down the road, and plugging in the Killawatt is not an option unless I move the rig over to my benching station (not enough wall plugs available where it lives).

Figured that since I now have another 2 rigs in the house I can use temporarily (and one half built floater almost always around) I can undergo the warranty replacement policy, but that would only be true if it takes 3 weeks or less for the RMA process. Any input would be appreciated.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

I've got a few questions for anyone who has gone through the Intel warranty replacement process for their CPU's.

How long did it take from RMA approval to CPU return/replacement?

Were there stringent requirements regarding the RMA approval process (for example troubleshooting, extensive reports, etc.)?

Were you overall happy with the entire process, or was it like a trip to the dentist?

My 5960X has been a great CPU thus far, but the wattage readouts only functioned for ~ 2 weeks when I initially bought the CPU. Not sure if this is a function of both HW Monitor & Intel XTU not able to handle the 200w+ draw from the socket, or if it's a defect within the CPU itself. Even at stock clocks my wattage readouts stay between 1-2w, when it is clearly pulling 150-350w. This has been true for both my X99 Deluxe and my X99 Sabertooth. I initially though it was a problem with my Deluxe, but the same exact problem still exists on my Sabertooth. This really wasn't a big deal to me at first since I was only running SLI 580's and I had a killawatt to get the total system draw, but as I've transitioned into SLI 970's, and I'm planning on SLI 980ti's eventually, knowing the CPU draw is going to be of greater concern to me down the road, and plugging in the Killawatt is not an option unless I move the rig over to my benching station (not enough wall plugs available where it lives).

Figured that since I now have another 2 rigs in the house I can use temporarily (and one half built floater almost always around) I can undergo the warranty replacement policy, but that would only be true if it takes 3 weeks or less for the RMA process. Any input would be appreciated.

Is the cpu underperforming? There are so many builds out there that you can use as reference for how much power is needed.

I didn't have to pay for shipping or for anything else, they booked a courier who picked it up, just the cpu.
I explained all the troubleshooting that i've done and they were happy to replace it straight away.

P.s. It turned out that the issue wasn't in the cpu itself anyways, and I still do not know what is causing my system to only detect 8 out of 16 gb's of ram, even though cpu-z sees all the 16gb's. 

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

Is the cpu underperforming? There are so many builds out there that you can use as reference for how much power is needed.

lol no. Not under performing at all.

This is the problem that necessitates a warranty replacement:

post-115561-0-84929000-1437143042_thumb.

post-115561-0-84929000-1437143042_thumb.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

lol no. Not under performing at all.

This is the problem that necessitates a warranty replacement:

attachicon.gifwattagebroken.JPG

So even measuring from the wall the numbers don't add up?

im no stranger to the intel rma process

sounds like your problem might be related to a bunk MEI driver. maybe try to re-install the driver. use the one on the asus website for your board.

in canada it takes roughly 2 weeks to have the cpu shipped and returned. you pay shipping to intel. they ups it back via express 1-2 day service. roughly takes 4 days from the time they receive it to when they ship out your replacement.

go to the intel live support\ chat to get the rma started. the questions\ requirements are fairly straight forward. just make sure to tell them you have tested the cpu in another board (even if you havent)  and confirmed the problem exists on both boards.

intel rma process gets a 10\10 IMO . I have never been denied a claim  (even though re adhered delids shouldnt be honored ) very happy with the return express  service, via ups.

no receipt needed if its still within the 3 year period

intel rma rocks

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

So even measuring from the wall the numbers don't add up?

Under load those package load values go to 2w. Measured from the wall the CPU should be pulling 280-345w under load at my current OC. So no, the numbers will never add up because I believe the wattage reporting from the CPU is FUBAR'd.

-snip-

Thank you. MEI's were removed/replaced 3 times now. Twice on the Deluxe for a jacked RAID config, once when I installed it into the new Sabertooth. I'll give it another shot, there may have been an update in the last 5 months? :huh:

Under load those package load values go to 2w. Measured from the wall the CPU should be pulling 280-345w under load at my current OC. So no, the numbers will never add up because I believe the wattage reporting from the CPU is FUBAR'd.

Well, if you feel the need to get it replaced and are convinced its not a software issue, rma it. Intel rarely has defective products but when they do they are very quick about rmas. Shouldn't take longer than a week.

Thank you. MEI's were removed/replaced 3 times now. Twice on the Deluxe for a jacked RAID config, once when I installed it into the new Sabertooth. I'll give it another shot, there may have been an update in the last 5 months? :huh:

could also try the MEI from intels site.

ive experienced the same issue in the past with the tdp monitoring.  i just add more juice and forget about monitoring :)

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Sometimes, windows can be to blame for RAM limitations.

Also, check your motherboard, sometimes, sockets are dead

Do you use Windows professional or Ultimate edition? If not, the OS itself wont let you run more then 8GB.

^

could also try the MEI from intels site.

ive experienced the same issue in the past with the tdp monitoring. i just add more juice and forget about monitoring :)

I've done the same up until this point. In all honesty if this chip was a 4.5GHz+ golden ticket I wouldn't even be thinking of replacing it, but I've got nothing to lose at 4.375, and having a 100% functional CPU is always nice. >_>

^

wot m8?

I'm not going to make a TLDR for this, I have absolutely 0 issues with anything aside from power draw reporting, see the picture above.

wot m8?

I'm not going to make a TLDR for this, I have absolutely 0 issues with anything aside from power draw reporting, see the picture above.

hes talking about the windows 7 thing where you can't have like 16gb or something without ultimate or pro... i don't remember

I've done the same up until this point. In all honesty if this chip was a 4.5GHz+ golden ticket I wouldn't even be thinking of replacing it, but I've got nothing to lose at 4.375, and having a 100% functional CPU is always nice. >_>

if you dont like that one...fix it with 1.8V +++++. that will  surely fix it :)

if you dont like that one...fix it with 1.8V +++++. that will  surely fix it :)

Well full wipe of MEI and reinstall from ASUS netted the same result, still busted. Can't find MEI 10 from Intel's site, and the DUU says nothing is needed;

post-115561-0-75488700-1437145831_thumb.

I'll see what Intel says during the RMA request, but at this point, full steam ahead with RMA since everyone seems to be indicating it's painless.

i still think its software realted

sounds like you need a single ssd for benching anyways...... maybe try a fresh win 7 install

i wouldnt be surprised if aisuite fucked some shit up, even if its uninstalled now

i still think its software realted

sounds like you need a single ssd for benching anyways...... maybe try a fresh win 7 install

i wouldnt be surprised if aisuite fucked some shit up, even if its uninstalled now

The process was this>

X99 Deluxe -Win 7 install -MEI+Chipset -RAM (the RMA'd kit) took a shit -multiple errors with ASUS drivers -wattage reporting fully functional

-OC -persistent ASUS driver install failures -unstable OC (from the RAM) -tentative stability found -RAID formation non-functional (consistent error checking & validation)

-Wiped install

-Fresh Win 7 -MEI+Chipset -RAID -left out all non-essential ASUS drivers (only Intel signed ones installed)

-OC -RAM stability shit again

-RAM RMA

-Fully functional RAID, OC, etc. -wattage error reporting broken

X99 Sabertooth

-uninstall of USB drivers -New Sabertooth drivers installed -Intel NIC remained the same, no need to install. -dual NIC skipped (non-Intel, no need for second NIC)

Today

-MEI wiped -Most current MEI dl'd from ASUS -installed -no change in wattage reporting

-Intel DUU installed, no drivers out of date.

-Wattage still busted

I could try a fresh Win 7, but with Win 10 around the corner and a possible Intel 750 NVMe on the wings I'm not going to bother.

Hah, nope, windows is not the limitation, checked all the possible options, even in bios it shows up as 8gb, even though I can get spd information for all 4 dimms in bios. 

Don't think the socket is dead tbh, as it happened all of a sudden after either a restart or a powercycle so yeah. I will re flash the bios, as it seems like i've lost the overclocking options as well.

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack.