The new 980 Ti's put out a lot of heat & even my HAF XB case was struggling with it. Answer? Mod it!

Arct1c0n

I was completely amazed at the amount of heatout put the 980Ti GPU's put on in compaison to the cooler running 980 STRIX that I have, even overclocked. My HAF XB Evo has twin 140mm Gelid Silent fans capable of 110cfm at 12v. But even then, I was having issues with moving enough air in to displace out the hot air coming from the Gigabyte G1 I had at the time. I was floored!

After some more investigation and testing with the front panel, I was surprised at how much the airflow decreased with the front paneling installed vs with it removed. I could only think that the combination of the dust filter and large plastic mesh was constricting airflow more then I really thought. I still needed the dust filter due to cat ownership and dust that won't go away, but I could do something about that big grill.... time to dust off the dremel!

r9lJ8VZ.jpg

Dremel makes short work of it. But looks kinda stupid with those "teeth"

wz98noW.jpg

Ah yeah, much better. A little sanding with the dremel bit now around the edges...

j3ti4DH.jpg

Before...

ixWnpuh.jpg?1

After. Oh yeah baby, thats pure and unrestricted air intake! I'm now ready for my Classified!

dEVUbZf.jpg

Nice!

Do you live in a shipping container? Lol

God damnit, thats the second person who's made that comparison...  But hey, its cheap

Wait seriously? :D that's awesome!

I'm joking. Its a "new age" designed apt complex. 

Ohhh, that's a mod I'll be doing to mine!

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

And I did it. (left the teeth on mine). Way better airflow! Thanks for the idea!

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys.