Multi-platter drive backup

Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

Performing backups within itself isn't really that great. If the spindle or arm motor dies, the hard drive is unusable. You have to spend thousands of dollars just to attempt to get the data back. It's not worth it.

Is it possible for a drive with more than one platter to perform backups within itself? Just interested.. :P

thanks

Are you not entertained!?

Well, you need enough space on whatever it is you're storing the backup. So as long as the thing is less than %50 full, you could probably try and put it there  :P. What a bad idea though, defeats the purpose of a backup.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Performing backups within itself isn't really that great. If the spindle or arm motor dies, the hard drive is unusable. You have to spend thousands of dollars just to attempt to get the data back. It's not worth it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Would an HDD with one failed platter still read? I would assume that failure of the more intricate moving parts would be more likely?

Creating a partition wont necessarily use separate platters. The partitions can overlap from platter to platter. 

hello

Would an HDD with one failed platter still read? I would assume that failure of the more intricate moving parts would be more likely?

If you got it read professionally, yes. But if the spindle dies, both platters are unusable, and if the platter got scratched, the magnetic film gets scraped off - thereby making that spot ineffective.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Creating a partition wont necessarily use separate platters. The partitions can overlap from platter to platter. 

so it wouldn't work?

not that i have any intention to try, i was just interested :P

so it wouldn't work?

not that i have any intention to try, i was just interested :P

If one platter fails the entire drive will be rendered useless. And it is be expensive to have any data taken from surviving platters

hello

Question answered :D

thanks all