Charge MacBook through POE?

babadoctor
Go to solution Solved by BillytheSkids,

It's 48volts

right?

babadoctor,

Minus the obvious hardware limitation of the charging and power hardware are not connected to the Ethernet port.  Voltage is half the equation as amperage is just as relevant.  Current PoE+ standard has a maximum wattage output of 25.5 Watts.  There are manufacturers who claim PoE hardware to support up to 51 Watts this is not standardized similar to the Pre-N Wireless days past.  This obviously is still below the 60 - 85 Watts that the apple power adapters currently use.  It would be an interesting concept for future builds but as the market seems to be shifting towards removing Ethernet ports I doubt it will make it to market.

Hope this helps.

I was wondering if it was possible to charge my MacBook Pro 13 inch late 2011 through ethernet? Apples MacBook chargers are really bad on my wallet so I was looking for a cheaper alternative to charging my laptop. If Mabey I could Jerryrig an ethernet cable? :P

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

i doubt it would supply enough power. 

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

No.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Isn't it 48v?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

i doubt it would supply enough power.

It's 48volts

right?

It's 48volts

right?

its just not going to work. the only way you can charge a macbook is with the magsafe cable. nothing else will work. hardware limitations i suppose.

it cant be done.

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

It's 48volts

right?

babadoctor,

Minus the obvious hardware limitation of the charging and power hardware are not connected to the Ethernet port.  Voltage is half the equation as amperage is just as relevant.  Current PoE+ standard has a maximum wattage output of 25.5 Watts.  There are manufacturers who claim PoE hardware to support up to 51 Watts this is not standardized similar to the Pre-N Wireless days past.  This obviously is still below the 60 - 85 Watts that the apple power adapters currently use.  It would be an interesting concept for future builds but as the market seems to be shifting towards removing Ethernet ports I doubt it will make it to market.

Hope this helps.

• 8 years later...

I have a Procet: Thunderbolt 3 10G POE & USB-C 40GB USB-C POE Adapters, They are a “Tiny” bit “Under Powered” compared to the MagSafe Option to Charge my M3 Max: 14.2” MacBook Pro & M2 Pro: 13.2” MacBook Pro, But the POE Adapter & USB-C POE Adapters DO CHARGE BOTH Systems, But they are POE++ Adapters, Just thought I’d Mention, I know this topic is quite old, But if you search on Amazon for Procet: 10G USB-C POE Adapter &/OR: 10GBPS Thunderbolt POE Adapter, it should be able to charge your MacBook, But it’ll be “SLOWER” than charging via MagSafe or USB-C