What wire will I need? Custom sleeved wires.

I am trying to find what wire I will need to use in order to make and sleeve custom wires for a new PC I will be building. It is the first time I will be building a PC hence why I am asking what may be a basic/beginner question. I will be using 16 awg wire but I am not sure on what specifications it needs to have such as the voltage rating, material etc. Also I am in the UK so not sure if that will affect it at all. Would this wire be sufficient or would I need lower voltage rating or any other specs that may need to be different? I will be using the Lutro0 supplies to sleeve the wire. Thank you in advance for any advice on this.

CPU: Intel I7-5960X. GPU: EVGA Geforce Titan X. MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme. RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16GB 2666 CL15. PSU: Corsair AX1500i. SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB. CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX. Fans: Noctua Industrial NF-A14 PWM 2000RPM. Case: Corsair 900D. Display: Asus PB279Q. Mouse: Razer Naga Epic Chroma. Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB.

I have never heard of anyone doing the WIRE itself, Most people sleeve he cables that come straight from the PSU to the Connector

Here is a video,

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

I am trying to find what wire I will need to use in order to make and sleeve custom wires for a new PC I will be building. It is the first time I will be building a PC hence why I am asking what may be a basic/beginner question. I will be using 16 awg wire but I am not sure on what specifications it needs to have such as the voltage rating, material etc. Also I am in the UK so not sure if that will affect it at all. Would this wire be sufficient or would I need lower voltage rating or any other specs that may need to be different? I will be using the Lutro0 supplies to sleeve the wire. Thank you in advance for any advice on this.

16AWG for power cables.

18AWG for SATA power.

Minimum ATX spec is actually 18AWG for the power cables, just that some good psus come with 16AWG

as for material mainly are rated for aluminium, copper is ofcourse fine too.

i do understand why you want to redo the cables. For certain small builds the stock cables are just simply too long :)

I have never heard of anyone doing the WIRE itself, Most people sleeve he cables that come straight from the PSU to the Connector

Here is a video,

Yes that is what I will be doing. I shall be keeping the stock cables for spares and if I decide to sell parts on later on in time. So I will be buying the wire and sleeving it as normal. That is what I have seen quite a few to so I wonder if I have worded it wrong and you may have misunderstood me? Thanks

CPU: Intel I7-5960X. GPU: EVGA Geforce Titan X. MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme. RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16GB 2666 CL15. PSU: Corsair AX1500i. SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB. CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX. Fans: Noctua Industrial NF-A14 PWM 2000RPM. Case: Corsair 900D. Display: Asus PB279Q. Mouse: Razer Naga Epic Chroma. Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB.

16AWG for power cables.

18AWG for SATA power.

Minimum ATX spec is actually 18AWG for the power cables, just that some good psus come with 16AWG

as for material mainly are rated for aluminium, copper is ofcourse fine too.

i do understand why you want to redo the cables. For certain small builds the stock cables are just simply too long :)

It isn't just that it is too long, I want to have a part in it and make it more custom to my liking. I don't know how long they come to be honest. Is copper as good performance wise as the aluminium then? And could I just use 16 awg for all of it so it is all uniform and perfect down to the mm? Thank you

It isn't just that it is too long, I want to have a part in it and make it more custom to my liking. I don't know how long they come to be honest. Is copper as good performance wise as the aluminium then? And could I just use 16 awg for all of it so it is all uniform and perfect down to the mm? Thank you

copper is actually a better conductor than alu, alu is used more because its cheaper.

Yes you can make em all the same size. 

technically you can even get by with a 20awg copper wire, but that might be cutting it bit close :)

ill give that a try first when re-doing my pc. 

copper is actually a better conductor than alu, alu is used more because its cheaper.

Yes you can make em all the same size. 

technically you can even get by with a 20awg copper wire, but that might be cutting it bit close :)

ill give that a try first when re-doing my pc.

Ah excellent, yes I thought that was the case as copper has always been know as reliable but because you had said about the aluminium it made me think that I could be mistaken or that it works better with the technologies or something.

That's fair enough, at least it gives you the satisfaction of working on it without a new build. I intend to re-do this build (well more like add, improve and upgrade it and it's parts) so should be great fun. The only thing I am worried about is where it is a new build is I don't want to ruin anything because it will be high end (£4k +) but providing I am careful and pay attention I think I will be alright. Will take extra care with the wiring and sleeving as that can obviously fry out parts if I get it wrong.

Ah excellent, yes I thought that was the case as copper has always been know as reliable but because you had said about the aluminium it made me think that I could be mistaken or that it works better with the technologies or something.

That's fair enough, at least it gives you the satisfaction of working on it without a new build. I intend to re-do this build (well more like add, improve and upgrade it and it's parts) so should be great fun. The only thing I am worried about is where it is a new build is I don't want to ruin anything because it will be high end (£4k +) but providing I am careful and pay attention I think I will be alright. Will take extra care with the wiring and sleeving as that can obviously fry out parts if I get it wrong.

Good luck!

Ill be re-doing mine soo too. small case with glass panels on both sides, you really have no where to hide cables (inwin 901) xD

esp with 5 fans, 3 hdds, and custom lighting. what a headache.

Good luck!

Ill be re-doing mine soo too. small case with glass panels on both sides, you really have no where to hide cables (inwin 901) xD

esp with 5 fans, 3 hdds, and custom lighting. what a headache.

Ah Christ that does sound a challenge. Can you not hide/interweave them through the actual equipment/parts so they support and hide them?

Ah Christ that does sound a challenge. Can you not hide/interweave them through the actual equipment/parts so they support and hide them?

Im trying to, probably need to measure out the length needed for each cable first and then somehow make it near.

As pluging in first and then making it neat is downright impossible as some ports are under my cpu cooler. haha. 

do post some pics when you are done! :)

ps. acrylic paint on wires are a bad idea. spray paint/plastidip works better.

Im trying to, probably need to measure out the length needed for each cable first and then somehow make it near.

As pluging in first and then making it neat is downright impossible as some ports are under my cpu cooler. haha. 

do post some pics when you are done! :)

ps. acrylic paint on wires are a bad idea. spray paint/plastidip works better.

Yes that would probably be best, that way there isn't the slightest excess that can look untidy. I don't think I would ever paint the wires to be honest. Is there a reason to?

Yes that would probably be best, that way there isn't the slightest excess that can look untidy. I don't think I would ever paint the wires to be honest. Is there a reason to?

some of my fan splitter cables are wierdly coloured. so kinda need to just paint it black, sleeving will add bulk in my case.  my mobo (vi impact) can use up to 4pwm fans.

its kinda a cheap but pretty build. So i try not to buy alot of new things just for the colours. :)

some of my fan splitter cables are wierdly coloured. so kinda need to just paint it black, sleeving will add bulk in my case.  my mobo (vi impact) can use up to 4pwm fans.

its kinda a cheap but pretty build. So i try not to buy alot of new things just for the colours. :)

Ah I see, I'm not sure what you mean by 'pwm' mind. Sometimes a cheaper build is all you need though. I know the parts I will be getting will be the best I can possibly get but that is only because it is my first one and I want some amazing super powered build that I can change and upgrade parts for its life but providing that all goes ok I will likely make a cheaper build as well as like a media PC to connect to TV or a more general household one. Something along them lines. Also with this first PC it will span over a while such as buying a part here and there. I bought the case the other day and I imagine the PSU next but I imagine it will span 5-6 months +. Couldn't afford it all in one go ha.

18AWG copper wire is the best of both worlds and should be used. For the cable management since you have a clear back on the case cable combs or my favorite theses types of flat cable clamps:

http://www.icemodz.com/#!/Flat-Snap-Close-Nylon-Cable-Clamp-Adhesive-Back-5cm-Black/p/22996212/category=5474654

18AWG copper wire is the best of both worlds and should be used. For the cable management since you have a clear back on the case cable combs or my favorite theses types of flat cable clamps:

http://www.icemodz.com/#!/Flat-Snap-Close-Nylon-Cable-Clamp-Adhesive-Back-5cm-Black/p/22996212/category=5474654

I was thinking of using the technique where you kind of stitch them together. Providing I get it flawless it should look great. Cable combs will be the alternative for if I don't though.

I was thinking of using the technique where you kind of stitch them together. Providing I get it flawless it should look great. Cable combs will be the alternative for if I don't though.

True a bit more work but well worth the effort for perfectly aligned cables  ;)

Here's a good guide that's been around for a while now if your interested:

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIr9u-sr99g-

True a bit more work but well worth the effort for perfectly aligned cables  ;)

Here's a good guide that's been around for a while now if your interested:

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIr9u-sr99g-

That one looks really easy and a lot more simple but I found that I didn't like the finish. The bulged bits between wires made the wire offset and move outwards. Maybe thinner string would combat this.

That one looks really easy and a lot more simple but I found that I didn't like the finish. The bulged bits between wires made the wire offset and move outwards. Maybe thinner string would combat this.

You could some some braided sewing line that stuff is pretty strong and all it really needs to do is keep the wires in place so yea.

You could some some braided sewing line that stuff is pretty strong and all it really needs to do is keep the wires in place so yea.

What is braided sewing line sorry, may be a silly question from the name but not sure? Is it just a few strands of cotton braided together?

What is braided sewing line sorry, may be a silly question from the name but not sure? Is it just a few strands of cotton braided together?

Yea basically a little thicker than your regular sewing thread since its braided together, not sure if that's the proper term for it however but I've seen it in most crafts places.

Yea basically a little thicker than your regular sewing thread since its braided together, not sure if that's the proper term for it however but I've seen it in most crafts places.

That would be ideal, I will have to look for it. The only question that comes to mind is would the braid be visible and the thread look rough but because of the sleeving pattern that could distort the braided pattern so may hide it to a degree so it looks like just a singular piece.

love how i made a thread on where to find MODDING SUPPLIES including sleeving yet no one bothers :/

love how i made a thread on where to find MODDING SUPPLIES including sleeving yet no one bothers :/

I think it can be hit and miss as I had another post up the got one reply days ago but this has got like twenty. If you are in UK and want LuteoO then e22.biz looks good but I want the 16awg wire so will likely import it all from Mainframecustom.com.

that has nothing to do with people not searching the first page before creating a new topic.. i have a thread called THE MASSIVE MODDING SUPPLY LIST containing places to order supplies and how to do certain mods. This list includes led's and sleeving supplies among others :P

that has nothing to do with people not searching the first page before creating a new topic.. i have a thread called THE MASSIVE MODDING SUPPLY LIST containing places to order supplies and how to do certain mods. This list includes led's and sleeving supplies among others :P

Do you mean that you think I should have looked on your topic?