$1000 Custom PC Build AMD or Intel Xeon sanity check for Amazon Prime Day!

Hey Guys! 

Looking to buy a PC tomorrow and wanted some opinions on my parts lists! 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To give you some context. I'm a high PC user in general who does lots of video editing. My main games are CSGO, LoL and some BO2.

I Want to stream with relatively no issues, Also not super looking to overclock anything. YT Commentary is in there to so I wanted a relatively quiet build.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Option 1: (Which I'm leaning towards is) - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GjgGgs

CPU  -  AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz - $164.99

CPU Cooler  -  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler - $27.99

Motherboard  -  Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard - $69.99

Memory  -  Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory - $85.99

Storage  -  Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive - $97.95

-  WD Green hard drive$72.99

Video Card  -  EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card - $204.99

Case  -  Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case - $69.99

Power Supply  -  Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - $59.99

Operating System  -  Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) - $89.99

Total: $944.86

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option 2:  -  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/X9kpkL

CPU  -  Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz - $242.99

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Open to more opinions and thoughts on these! Here my thoughts on why I pick some of these parts. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RAM - I definitely wanted 16 gigabytes of RAM because I find myself maxing out 8gb and 16gb I hear is great for streaming and video work I hear.

Storage - For a SSD I hear 240gb is the sweet spot for space. And for rendering/video work I wanted a relatively fast and reliable SSD 

so I opted for the more premium Samsung model.

I wanted 2Tb for sure I'm just about maxed out 1Tb right now and I wanted to go for more premium again and went with a Western Digital hard drive. 

Video Card - In the future I'd like to get a better graphics card. But right now I'm gaming at 1080p with light titles so I think a 960 will do just fine. (Beats my 650m by a long shot)

Was thinking EVGA right now because they have the best price on NewEgg. And it comes with all the other 960 features + A game, And Back plate.

Case - More premium case than most I know But I like the clean design Which I prefer. Also is it has sound dampening foam and is a nice case all around.

Power Supply - Don't need anything fancy I hear Corsair is a reliable brand for power supplies so not much to it. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the basic parts I don't know too much about either of the motherboards besides that they're well rated and from gigabyte which is a trusted company and that there cheep. 

I won't be super overclocking I figured a more expensive board isn't worth it. (opinions are welcomed) 

So the second part of this is AMD vs. Intel. AMD is cheep which i'm all for! But someone said the Intel would be a lot better for video work. (and I wonder if it has a slight Edge for gaming to)

PassMark says that the Intel CPU is about 600 ponits better at 9,580 vs. AMD at 8,980. But I don't know how much that translates to real world use.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side note What Does this mean? 

• Some AMD 970 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vishera CPUs.

Other peripherals Upgrades down the line 

$79.99 - CM Storm QuickFire TK Mechanical Keyboard 

$45.99 - Dual LCD Monitor Desk Mount Stand 

$199.99 - Acer GN246HL 1080p 144hz Monitor 

$26.19 - LG USB 2.0 External DVD Drive 

That's pretty much it any help would be great!

Thanks for reading.

- Matt 

don't get the cx series by corsair. buy a seasonic or a good xfx psu. go with the intel xeon over the amd.

BigDay

Make sure you keep that Power Supply cooled well or you're in trouble.

snip

i recommend the xeon build. but just get a cheap h81 with usb3 headers and cpu support. 

also save some money and buy a windows 8 key instead.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($85.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($97.95 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($204.99)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Other: 2T WD Green  ($72.99)
Total: $1022.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-14 18:01 EDT-0400

BigDay

i recommend the xeon build. but just get a cheap h81 with usb3 headers and cpu support. 

also save some money and buy a windows 8 key instead.

sounds like a better board that I'll probably go with but what do you mean by CPU support?

don't try and save money by buying a windows 8 key

buy the original if you enjoy NOT wasting time

Thanks man I'll do that power supply then. ;)  

sounds like a better board that I'll probably go with but what do you mean by CPU support?

All h81 support haswell refresh cpus, but some may need a bios update. Newer version of the h81 tho come with the haswell refresh support from factory (as in the oldest bios for that board already supports haswell-r).

Nevermind. i just realised ur using a haswell, not haswell refresh.

All h81 support haswell refresh cpus, but some may need a bios update. Newer version of the h81 tho come with the haswell refresh support from factory (as in the oldest bios for that board already supports haswell-r).

Nevermind. i just realised ur using a haswell, not haswell refresh.

Thank you! :) 

if you can afford it, go with an h97 board coupled with the xeon so you don't have to worry about flashing the bios before using the pc.

BigDay

if you can afford it, go with an h97 board coupled with the xeon so you don't have to worry about flashing the bios before using the pc.

I agree I'd rather have the newer generation board for $7 more 

howbout something like this?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rHVkrH

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gzmwvK

That 8gb frame buffer will work wonders for video editing. Atleast the 290, that will give you plenty more power than a 960.

The mother board isn't rated that well. so is it reliable? and how are you getting a windows key for $20? And I'm using Sony Vegas but I thought rendering had mostly to do with your CPU. And GPU boosting didn't help much. @BigDay

-snip-

Other peripherals Upgrades down the line 

$79.99 - CM Storm QuickFire TK Mechanical Keyboard 

$45.99 - Dual LCD Monitor Desk Mount Stand 

$199.99 - Acer GN246HL 1080p 144hz Monitor 

$26.19 - LG USB 2.0 External DVD Drive 

That's pretty much it any help would be great!

Thanks for reading.

- Matt 

I like this build, its very similar to your second build, but different motherboard and powersupply.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ Directron)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($84.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($97.95 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($109.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($199.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($81.24 @ Amazon)

Total: $1057.12

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-14 18:46 EDT-0400

And now I would like to comment on your other peripherals upgrades.

Mainly the Monitor. you are going to buy a 144hz monitor, but the 960 will not get 144fps in a lot of the newer games out. If you only care to get that in LoL and CSGO, you'll probably be fine, but you probably wont get it in the newer COD games that come out.

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

The mother board isn't rated that well. so is it reliable? and how are you getting a windows key for $20? And I'm using Sony Vegas but I thought rendering had mostly to do with your CPU. And GPU boosting didn't help much. @BigDay

Vegas Pro 11 and up does allow GPU acceleration and encoding, enable in settings. Tho the perfomance gains wont be as drastic as lets say adobe premier cc.

The board is fine, feel free to change it if you want to. 

key here: https://www.g2a.com/microsoft-windows-8-1-professional-32-64-bit-oem-cd-key-global.html

on reddit its cheaper but more secure on g2a

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU15/1231

I like this build, its very similar to your second build, but different motherboard and powersupply.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ Directron)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($84.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($109.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($199.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($81.24 @ Amazon)

Total: $1057.12

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-14 18:46 EDT-0400

And now I would like to comment on your other peripherals upgrades.

Mainly the Monitor. you are going to buy a 144hz monitor, but the 960 will not get 144fps in a lot of the newer games out. If you only care to get that in LoL and CSGO, you'll probably be fine, but you probably wont get it in the newer COD games that come out.

with the monitor totally agree with you with you! And I more play CSGO then the others. and the monitor is a investment on when I get a better graphics card I can max other games as well. :) now with the build adjustments I believe I want to stick with the 97 because apparently I'd have to do a bios flash with anything else. and its just newer. For the WD Black I thought of that. But I think the Green will work just fine don't feel like spending another 40 bucks for a little bit more preference it gives me. how is the power supply better? at this point I'm thinking the Sea sonic 520 but what are your thoughts? 

some video editing programs can utilize the gpu video memory. some use the cpu. you'd have to find out what the program can make use of. i don't know anything about that.

BigDay

the Asus VG248QE is one of the best monitors @ 1080p, 1ms, and 144 hertz for gaming. the color is nothing like an ips, but you can adjust it.

BigDay

with the monitor totally agree with you with you! And I more play CSGO then the others. and the monitor is a investment on when I get a better graphics card I can max other games as well. :) now with the build adjustments I believe I want to stick with the 97 because apparently I'd have to do a bios flash with anything else. and its just newer. For the WD Black I thought of that. But I think the Green will work just fine don't feel like spending another 40 bucks for a little bit more preference it gives me. how is the power supply better? at this point I'm thinking the Sea sonic 520 but what are your thoughts? 

the h97 is fine as long as its in your budget. And no you dont need to do a bios flash for haswell cpus. As for the WD geens are slower than the seagates in normal usage, but honestly all hard disk are slow in comparison, so dont fret about green vs blacks so much, better o save money and get a second hdd for backup if you are doing video work.

The seasonic 520 are a good choice as well.

some video editing programs can utilize the gpu video memory. some use the cpu. you'd have to find out what the program can make use of. i don't know anything about that.

Yup, it depended alot on the software, but nowadays since they started adopting openCL its been much more friendly with gpus, esp AMD gpus. hence the skew tiwards amd across the board for video editing. 

But still depends on the filters and encoders that you end up using. Applies to photohopping as well.

TL;DR. Get an r9 280x/290/290x/390. 290 is recommended for gaming, and 390 for 4k video editing.

Vegas Pro 13 leverages the GPU for video effects, transitions, compositing, pan/crop, track motion, and encoding

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/features

Yup, it depended alot on the software, but nowadays since they started adopting openCL its been much more friendly with gpus, esp AMD gpus. hence the skew tiwards amd across the board for video editing. 

But still depends on the filters and encoders that you end up using. Applies to photohopping as well.

TL;DR. Get an r9 280x/290/290x/390. 290 is recommended for gaming, and 390 for 4k video editing.

Thanks for doing the research! :) that's super helpful. 

I know I'm going over my budget a Bit But I'm pretty happy with the price to Performance I get with this and this doesn't show with a mail-in rebates. ;)

- PC http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nYgvt6 -

• $1099.36

TOTAL:

ah yea, that makes sense. :P

The board I picked doesn't have an update compatibility issue, if you click on the PCPartPicker link, it won't give you that warning/error. It should be all good.

My bad on the WD Black, yea, that's a lot more than I thought it would be, so going with Green should be just fine.

When picking a power supply, and knowing you are going to upgrade in the future you gotta keep that in mind.

If you go with a power supply that doesn't support your future upgrades then you will be buying a new power supply anyway. let me check that one SeaSonic before i stick my foot in my mouth... K, seems that one is compatible with the 970s 980Tis, so it should be all good. :D

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

Here we go boys! Just ordered all the parts And there's some new things (nothing's shocking) 

One thing I did find before purchasing is that the motherboard only supports 1600hz RAM so the 1800hz megahertz Kingston Fury memory would have been a mistake.

Also on Newegg the 520w and 620w Power supply where the same price so I whet with the bigger one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delivery estimate: Monday, July 20, 2015 by 8pm

Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$246.79
Guaranteed delivery by: Friday, July 17, 2015 by 8pm
$79.99
Sold by: Made PC
$72.55
$76.65
$97.99

Amazon Total = $661.91 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 x XFX Double Dissipation R9-290A-EDFD Radeon R9 290 4GB 

- $269.99  w/$30.00 rebate card - 1AMD GIFT Dirt Rally

Newegg Total = 413.98

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total = $1075.89

Thanks for all your help and I'll keep you posted. :)