Old 5400rpm or new 7200rpm HDD

Hi! ^_^ 

I'm going to build a new PC with 128gb SSD, but that's just not large enough to hold all my games etc. I have an old laptop with 750gb HDD and its specs are 5400 rpm with 8mb cache, so it's basically the slowest possible HDD. I got around 50mb/s write and read speeds with Atto disk benchmark from it. So should I buy a better HDD (like WD black/blue) or does that shitty 750gb HDD work as well? And is there a noticeable difference between 5400rpm and 7200rpm?  :mellow:

| CPU: i5-4460 | GPU: GTX 750Ti Twin Frozr | Motherboard: Asus H97M-Plus | Ram: 2x4gb Kinkston ValueRam | CPU Cooler: Rajintek Aidos | PSU: Corsair VS550 | Storage: Kingston SSDNOW V300 120gb & 1TB WD Blue | Case: Sharkoon T28 Red | Case coolers: 3 Cooler Master SickleFlow Red Led | 

| HP ProBook 650 G1 | i5-4200M | Ram: 4gb | 500gb HDD |

Hi! ^_^ 

I'm going to build a new PC with 128gb SSD, but that's just not large enough to hold all my games etc. I have an old laptop with 750gb HDD and its specs are 5400 rpm with 8mb cache, so it's basically the slowest possible HDD. I got around 50mb/s write and read speeds with Atto disk benchmark from it. So should I buy a better HDD (like WD black/blue) or does that shitty 750gb HDD work as well? And is there a noticeable difference between 5400rpm and 7200rpm?  :mellow:

only dif will be a couple seconds of load times.

Hi! ^_^ 

Hey Pikkis,

As @Arty pointed out, games only rely on the storage's performance for the loading times. The FPS and graphics are not affected at all. I would, however, consider a newer drive as some games might show stuttering if they need to load huge texture files (open-world games such as WoW, GTA, etc.). 
If you choose to use the old drive, I would recommend checking it for errors and make sure its health status is OK so your data will be safe. Getting a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer's website would be the thing I'd recommend. What's the brand and model of your drive? 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey Pikkis,

As @Arty pointed out, games only rely on the storage's performance for the loading times. The FPS and graphics are not affected at all. I would, however, consider a newer drive as some games might show stuttering if they need to load huge texture files (open-world games such as WoW, GTA, etc.). 
If you choose to use the old drive, I would recommend checking it for errors and make sure its health status is OK so your data will be safe. Getting a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer's website would be the thing I'd recommend. What's the brand and model of your drive? 

Captain_WD.

Thanks for clearing it up for me. I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SpinPoint-ST750LM022-750GB-5400RPM/dp/B008I780R2 

| CPU: i5-4460 | GPU: GTX 750Ti Twin Frozr | Motherboard: Asus H97M-Plus | Ram: 2x4gb Kinkston ValueRam | CPU Cooler: Rajintek Aidos | PSU: Corsair VS550 | Storage: Kingston SSDNOW V300 120gb & 1TB WD Blue | Case: Sharkoon T28 Red | Case coolers: 3 Cooler Master SickleFlow Red Led | 

| HP ProBook 650 G1 | i5-4200M | Ram: 4gb | 500gb HDD |

This drive might not be fast enough. With the smaller cache, slower rpm and transfer speeds it might struggle with more storage-demanding games. But other than that you should be fine, jsut with longer load times and longer alt+tab times. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/