OCing 4790K where to start

so like my title says, I'm willing to OC my 4790k since im confident now about the cooling capacity of my CPU cooler and the tempratures around.

CPU is running roughly 13 degrees celsiu hotter then ambient temprature, so i should have quite some room, but my target is 4.4ghz, which doesnt seem to high to damage it's lifetime or get ridicilousy hot or burning out my motherboard (MSI z97 SLI krait edition)

So i went ahead and downloaded intel extreme tuning utility and fired it up, but ehmmm.. where the hell do i start? :unsure: :blink:

so which of the many options of below this should i start with.

post-54592-0-19173700-1436812280_thumb.p

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

4.4 Ghz is the turbo frequentie.......... so no overclock needed

and start in the bios not in the intel TUNING utility 

hakuna matata

I woudln't use & trust software to play with voltage and OC.

Just go in BIOS directly.

Overclocking should be usually done through the BIOS/UEFI.

Disabling Turbo Boost, popping the Core and Uncore Ratio up from x40 to x44 and stress testing it.

If it crashes on you, which I doubt (as 4.4 GHZ is the processor's Turbo Boost speed), start increasing the Vcore slightly until you achieve stability.

Personally, I've got my 4790K running @ stock, as I don't feel the need for any overclock as of yet.

4.4 Ghz is the turbo frequentie.......... so no overclock needed

and start in the bios not in the intel TUNING utility 

well... that was honestly quite unexpected as answer...

thought the boost clock was something that only kicked in when using less cores and not all.

I woudln't use & trust software to play with voltage and OC.

Just go in BIOS directly.

that might help a bit and be less overwhelming, but inside the BIOS it's just increase multiplier to what i want and adjust voltage when instable not?

a guess since im watching linus's intell haswell 4th gen CPU OC guide.

Overclocking should be usually done through the BIOS/UEFI.

Disabling Turbo Boost, popping the Core and Uncore Ratio up from x40 to x44 and stress testing it.

If it crashes on you, which I doubt (as 4.4 GHZ is the processor's Turbo Boost speed), start increasing the Vcore slightly until you achieve stability.

Personally, I've got my 4790K running @ stock, as I don't feel the need for any overclock as of yet.

i see, thanks!

Im personally also at the brink of doing it, altough it's more of a test to see temps when it runs 4.4 constant.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I'd start in the BIOS. That's where I've always done overclocking

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

well... that was honestly quite unexpected as answer...

thought the boost clock was something that only kicked in when using less cores and not all.

that might help a bit and be less overwhelming, but inside the BIOS it's just increase multiplier to what i want and adjust voltage when instable not?

a guess since im watching linus's intell haswell 4th gen CPU OC guide.

i see, thanks!

Im personally also at the brink of doing it, altough it's more of a test to see temps when it runs 4.4 constant.

And yes, the boost speeds ramp up when you are using let's say two cores.

When you fully utilize four cores, it backs down to around 4.2-4.0 GHZ.

If it may help you, I currently run my CPU with a CM Hyper 212 EVO air cooler, and at hot summer days, the highest temperatures I've gotten are at around 67 C.

Our CPU's reach TJ Maxx @ 100 C, but anything over 75 degrees and above, I personally don't feel comfortable with.

On a side note, back when I bought my machine last year, the BIOS did not properly work with the 4790K, apparently because it just came out, and the motherboard already had some months of being on the market.

Had some insane voltages of 170 W on the chip, reaching 100 C at full load, throttling like crazy.

After a BIOS flash with the latest update, it now behaves as expected, with a max TDP of 88 W.

Just make sure you don't output too much power to the CPU.