Is MSI 390 good?

SauronsV

Could not find a lot of information about this GPU. Do you guys know how the noise and cooling is for this gpu? and if there is any coil whining for it?

You mean the 8G?

Could not find a lot of information about this GPU. Do you guys know how the noise and cooling is for this gpu? and if there is any coil whining for it?

No reports of any coil wine as for performance it performs better then the nvidia gtx 970 by a slim margin though the nvidia uses way less power (145 vs 300). unless you care about power efficiency go for the r9 390. you can check the comparison between the r9 390 and the gtx 970 at jayztwocent's youtube channel. he reviewed the msi model of the r9. if you have any questions feel free to ask me

... here is the link for the r9 390 vs gtx 970

Don't take his video as the end all be all. He uses the SSC which is one of the weaker overclocking cards as he overclocked it only to 1442mhz. A G1 gaming would have faired better and given more fair results as it can get between 1500-1600 mhz overclocked.

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

It's pretty good. And has a pretty robust cooler ;)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

The Twin Frozr V cooler is VERY impressive both from a cooling AND acoustics performance. Very good cooling unit.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Don't take his video as the end all be all. He uses the SSC which is one of the weaker overclocking cards as he overclocked it only to 1442mhz. A G1 gaming would have faired better and given more fair results as it can get between 1500-1600 mhz overclocked.

it has double the vram so its still a better option. games such as shadow of mordor consume vram

it has double the vram so its still a better option. games such as shadow of mordor consume vram

Most games don't use more than 3 gb of vram. 8 is only really good for the future for higher resolution gaming.

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

390 it self is a very good GPU performing better than 970 at the same cost woth more vram, as for the msi version my friend has one and when i asked him about the experience he had with it he sakd nothing but good.

Get it if it's cheaper than the 970, if you have a good PSU and if power isn't expensive and bills doesn't matter that much.

Get the 970 if you have a no so powerful PSU, if you care about power consumption/power is expensive where you live.

If the 970 it's cheaper go for it, you can OC it and get better performance than the 390.

I currently own this card. Few thoughts:

The good

• Overclocks well. I have mine at a nice comfortable 1150mhz/1550mhz without having to pump too much voltage into it. 
  • Looks fantastic (could be due to me having a red build, but man this card looks good.
  • Quiet. I have a fan curve to where fans are off under 60C, and ramp up to a barely audible 55% fan speed above that, keeps it sitting in between 60C-70C while under load. 

The bad

• It is a triple slot card. Didn't realize this until after I got it. I don't think I did enough research, so on me. The problem this presents is with my Micro ATX board, can't have two of these cards unless you plan on changing the cooler, i.e. water cooling. 
  • The white LED, would love an option to dim it a bit, maybe change colors, or just simply turn off. Sticks out a bit.

That's about it. I was either going to purchase this card, or a GTX970, and so far I have zero regrets on buying this card. 

Get it if it's cheaper than the 970, if you have a good PSU and if power isn't expensive and bills doesn't matter that much.

Get the 970 if you have a no so powerful PSU, if you care about power consumption/power is expensive where you live.

If the 970 it's cheaper go for it, you can OC it and get better performance than the 390.

this. MSI's 970 gaming is also a good choice. faster than the 390 once both are overclocked balls to the wall (jays 1442 overclock was rather low. most 970 can reach the 1500s, so yeah you'll have 980 performance)

I currently own this card. Few thoughts:

The good

• Overclocks well. I have mine at a nice comfortable 1150mhz/1550mhz without having to pump too much voltage into it. 
  • Looks fantastic (could be due to me having a red build, but man this card looks good.
  • Quiet. I have a fan curve to where fans are off under 60C, and ramp up to a barely audible 55% fan speed above that, keeps it sitting in between 60C-70C while under load. 

The bad

• It is a triple slot card. Didn't realize this until after I got it. I don't think I did enough research, so on me. The problem this presents is with my Micro ATX board, can't have two of these cards unless you plan on changing the cooler, i.e. water cooling. 
  • The white LED, would love an option to dim it a bit, maybe change colors, or just simply turn off. Sticks out a bit.

That's about it. I was either going to purchase this card, or a GTX970, and so far I have zero regrets on buying this card. 

so when browsing the fans dont turn on and its completely quiet? Also is there any coil whine?

so when browsing the fans dont turn on and its completely quiet? Also is there any coil whine?

Correct, its 100% silent unless I game. Runs at around 300mhz idle. 

On my card, I've been lucky can't hear any. MSI is pretty decent when it comes to coil whine, but let's be honest its something that can happen in any card.

this. MSI's 970 gaming is also a good choice. faster than the 390 once both are overclocked balls to the wall (jays 1442 overclock was rather low. most 970 can reach the 1500s, so yeah you'll have 980 performance)

The G1 is even better. It's very common to get them running at 1500-1550 at stock voltages, once you pump voltage in them they transform into 1600Mhz cards, and they're blazing fast at that speeds.

Correct, its 100% silent unless I game. Runs at around 300mhz idle. 

On my card, I've been lucky can't hear any. MSI is pretty decent when it comes to coil whine, but let's be honest its something that can happen in any card.

Ok the main reason I want to return my 970 is because of coil whine, as long as its not that loud its fine :D.

Also do you know If this will fit on an MSI z97 mobo in a s340 case? I am pretty sure it will fit but will there be any trouble? Is it much bigger than a asus 970 or is it similar in size?

Also did you use the cd that came with the msi 390 to install the drivers?

- Do you know If this will fit on an MSI z97 mobo in a s340 case?

- Is it much bigger than a asus 970 or is it similar in size?

- Did you use the cd that came with the msi 390 to install the drivers?

-Yes of course it does.

-No it's about the same size.

-Never do that, always find the latest available drivers online.

The only driver you might want to install is the network adapter driver on the motherboard CD...then it's online online online.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

-Yes of course it does.

-No it's about the same size.

-Never do that, always find the latest available drivers online.

The only driver you might want to install is the network adapter driver on the motherboard CD...then it's online online online.

Can't I just use CD then upgrade drivers on website?

Can't I just use CD then upgrade drivers on website?

yes