Need help. Mini itx build. G3258 & gtx960 or no?

This will be my first pc and even though i have done my research i am still not 100% of what i want. I plan on making a mini itx build that i will be using for mainly photo editing and some 3d modeling programs. Nothing special just stuff like gimp and sketchup. I would like to explore pc gaming but it is not as important. I dont game often and when i do consoles are more than adequate so high frame rates and 4k or even 1080p gaming is not all that necessary. I would like to keep my budget around $650ish but if there is something way better for not that much more than i will definately consider it. I plan on getting a g3258 on an h97 board with a gtx960 gpu. I already have a build in mind and i do plan on upgrading to the i5 4690k down the road. Here is my build from pcpartpicker http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Jaime98r%40gmail.Com/saved/kscFf7

P.S. I will also consider an AMD build. Although i am leaning more towards intel at the moment. [emoji6]

"3D Modelling" Big term you used there, if it's just Sketchup, a G3258 will do you fine, anything above that, i.e. AutoCad, AutoDesk Inventor and Solidworks, you'll be running into all kinds of trouble. A 960 will do you fine for most games and etc.

P.S. Why get a H board and an unlocked CPU? Just a question.

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X @4GHz cooled by a Corsair H110i GT | MBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB 2400MHz) | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 | SSD: Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD | HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black Drive | PSU: Corsair HX750i | Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 

If you're doing photo editing and 3D modeling dual cores CPU isn't enough (well it's slower), you might want to switch to i5 instead.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

This will be my first pc and even though i have done my research i am still not 100% of what i want. I plan on making a mini itx build that i will be using for mainly photo editing and some 3d modeling programs. Nothing special just stuff like gimp and sketchup. I would like to explore pc gaming but it is not as important. I dont game often and when i do consoles are more than adequate so high frame rates and 4k or even 1080p gaming is not all that necessary. I would like to keep my budget around $650ish but if there is something way better for not that much more than i will definately consider it. I plan on getting a g3258 on an h97 board with a gtx960 gpu. I already have a build in mind and i do plan on upgrading to the i5 4690k down the road. Here is my build from pcpartpicker http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Jaime98r%40gmail.Com/saved/kscFf7

P.S. I will also consider an AMD build. Although i am leaning more towards intel at the moment. [emoji6]

Okay thanks. So, is working in 3d more cpu or gpu oriented. Because if it is more cpu oriented i could always spend more on a cpu and downgrade my gpu purchase to a 750 ti?

I was saying to switch the CPU to an i3 4160 or maybe an i5 4460 if you have the budget for an i5

If it remains "nothing special" your build is fine. But you will likely end up upgrading to an i5 with anything heavier than those 2 programs or some games that do need a better CPU

I would instead of going for SFX go for normal ATX Power Supply and a cheap but nice mitx case that fits full atx PSU and your hardware, like this silverstone that's really cheap:

sg13_mesh_front_w_450.jpg

The reason for doing this is getting at least an i3 chip, it will pay off.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I was saying to switch the CPU to an i3 4160 or maybe an i5 4460 if you have the budget for an i5

My budget is not solid i would prefer it be 650 but i can go over. If i decide to get the i5 you mentioned can i get a cheaper gpu like gtx750 ti without losing much potential in performance?

At least an i3 chip, it will pay off.

^^^

Or i3, if i5 isn't friendly for your budget.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

My budget is not solid i would prefer it be 650 but i can go over. If i decide to get the i5 you mentioned can i get a cheaper gpu like gtx750 ti without losing much potential in performance?

To be honest, it depends what you're doing with it and what kind of rendering. I sometimes do 3D designs on photoshop and other applications using a GTX 660 ti. Downgrading to a 750 ti shouldn't hurt too much, but I still recommend an i3 4160 on the build for sure.

If it remains "nothing special" your build is fine. But you will likely end up upgrading to an i5 with anything heavier than those 2 programs or some games that do need a better CPU

I would instead of going for SFX go for normal ATX Power Supply and a cheap but nice mitx case that fits full atx PSU and your hardware, like this silverstone that's really cheap:

sg13_mesh_front_w_450.jpg

The reason for doing this is getting at least an i3 chip, it will pay off.

I have spent a lot of time researching small form factor cases and finally decided it would be cheaper to make my own. It is incredibally important for it to be portable as i will be moving it around a lot. The movement isnt enough to make a laptop more practical but enough to be a burden on my back. And space is a luxury not always availabel. Although a cheaper psu would be great.

So my budget is not an inpenetrable wall. I can go higher if the performance increase is worth it. And even if i dont plan on doing intensive gaming or using highend programs like autoCAD or Photoshop i would prefer the build to be future proof.

So my budget is not an inpenetrable wall. I can go higher if the performance increase is worth it. And even if i dont plan on doing intensive gaming or using highend programs like autoCAD or Photoshop i would prefer the build to be future proof.

This is why a 5960X will set you up for a while ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X @4GHz cooled by a Corsair H110i GT | MBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB 2400MHz) | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 | SSD: Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD | HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black Drive | PSU: Corsair HX750i | Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 

I have spent a lot of time researching small form factor cases and finally decided it would be cheaper to make my own. It is incredibally important for it to be portable as i will be moving it around a lot. The movement isnt enough to make a laptop more practical but enough to be a burden on my back. And space is a luxury not always availabel. Although a cheaper psu would be great.

As long as you're making your own design, then actually you probably can put a bigger PSU on it. If the maximum height of the ATX PSU is ok (I believe that's 150mm tall) then you can copy the orientation of the silverstone psu's:

350x700px-LL-5937bca6_image.jpeg

You can use a smaller 960 that's ITX sized like this one:

41PJ8GhkpFL.jpg

That will leave you space for your storage too. It should end up being a pretty compact case.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If it isnt too much of a burden can someone receate my build with their chosen components that would meet the criteria of being small yet powerful (or capable). The budget can go over if it means more potential in the build. And thank you for all the help so far.

As long as you're making your own design, then actually you probably can put a bigger PSU on it. If the maximum height of the ATX PSU is ok (I believe that's 150mm tall) then you can copy the orientation of the silverstone psu's:

350x700px-LL-5937bca6_image.jpeg

You can use a smaller 960 that's ITX sized like this one:

41PJ8GhkpFL.jpg

That will leave you space for your storage too. It should end up being a pretty compact case.

I actually plan on giving the psu its own external enclosure and treating more as a power brick in appearance. Which is why i thought sfx was my best option. And i am going to use the mini itx version of EVGA's gtx960 or 750ti. The only problem is i cant seem to find too many reviews on cheaper sfx supplies making them seem a bit sketchy. Haha thats such a funny word.[emoji28]

This is why a 5960X will set you up for a while ;)

That is worth more than my whole build itself[emoji13]. Haha i only wish i could offord it.

That is worth more than my whole build itself[emoji13]. Haha i only wish i could offord it.

Haha!

I actually plan on giving the psu its own external enclosure and treating more as a power brick in appearance. Which is why i thought sfx was my best option. And i am going to use the mini itx version of EVGA's gtx960 or 750ti. The only problem is i cant seem to find too many reviews on cheaper sfx supplies making them seem a bit sketchy. Haha thats such a funny word.[emoji28]

Actually server power supplies kinda look like power bricks:

Supermicro_PWS-1K41P-1R_1400Watts_24-Pin

Though if you wanna go external, there are mini itx boards that work with external power supplies, they are called thin mini itx and they also work with laptop sodimms instead of normal ram. The thing is I don't think it will be enough to power anything above a 750 or 750 ti though you might wanna try broadwell cpus I hear the igpu in those is good enough to do light gaming not unlike an AMD APU but with much much better CPU performance

Edit: found a guide on thin mini itx http://www.techspot.com/article/667-thin-mini-itx-fanless-pc-build/

-------

Current Rig

-------

Though if you wanna go external, there are mini itx boards that work with external power supplies, they are called thin mini itx and they also work with laptop sodimms instead of normal ram. The thing is I don't think it will be enough to power anything above a 750 or 750 ti though you might wanna try broadwell cpus I hear the igpu in those is good enough to do light gaming not unlike an AMD APU but with much much better CPU performance

Wow that power supply looks perfect. Hopefully the price is also eyecandy. And regarding thin mini itx i didn't find too many options for thin mini itx and they seemed to lack a lot of the things plain mitx had. Thanks so much[emoji13] i will definately look into a server psu.

Edit: found a guide on thin mini itx http://www.techspot.com/article/667-thin-mini-itx-fanless-pc-build/

I think this link is exactly what i needed. It seems i underestimated thin mini itx. I havent read the whole article but if it is what i need than this will change my build greatly. Thank you thank you!!! [emoji13] [emoji13] [emoji13] [emoji13]

I think this link is exactly what i needed. It seems i underestimated thin mini itx. I havent read the whole article but if it is what i need than this will change my build greatly. Thank you thank you!!! [emoji13] [emoji13] [emoji13] [emoji13]

One thing though: I have not seen z97 boards so the thin mini itx motherboards available might not be compatible with broadwell cpus so be sure to check compatibility on that if you go that route.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Server power supplies are a little pricey it seems. And i got a littl too excited over thin mini itx boards. [emoji22] I really wanted them to be what i was looking for.

One thing though: I have not seen z97 boards so the thin mini itx motherboards available might not be compatible with broadwell cpus so be sure to check compatibility on that if you go that route.

I am going to stick to mini itx and maybe if i do some more research i can find a cheap server psu. Thank you once again. [emoji6]