iMac 27" vs Custom PC

Cy-Fy

So hello guys I am now in a big dilemma because I think that I might buy a computer soon and I have researched and though of buying an iMac 27" i5 computer,, however I have heard many people say that it is not worth it so what I did is I used pc partpicker and made a build that is roughly the same as the iMac, nearly the same components, etc. the only difference is that this pc is not an all in one as the iMac.

here is the iMac: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/apple-desktops/apple-imac-md095b-a-27-all-in-one-with-office-365-home-premium-21382158-pdt.html

and here is the PC: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1lwAC

please have in mind that you can install windows on an iMac, also that iMacs are pretty much plug and play, just 1 cable needed and also that I will not be using this computer for gaming but for photoshop, iillustrator, general usage and watching movies so I need the high res...

So my quyestion here is,,, Is the iMac a better way to go, or is the Windows PC better??? considering ease of use, build quaity, aesthetics, compatibility for future, upgradeability, sofwares, etc. Thanks a lot guys... :)

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

imac wins:)

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

The iMac, as I see it, is for people who wants an all-in-one computer, since the PC market has been behind in this field. 

Just a question you said you wanted a 27" iMac, but the one you have linked is a 21,5" 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

imac wins:)

Thanks man but it would realy help if you could back up your opinion so that I know why you think that way...

What will you be using the computer for? If you're gaming it's an obvious no brainer, go with the PC. 

I'll list out which one wins in your categories:

build quality - subjective 

aestethics - subjective

compatibility for future - PC

softwares - PC

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

The iMac, as I see it, is for people who wants an all-in-one computer, since the PC market has been behind in this field. 

Just a question you said you wanted a 27" iMac, but the one you have linked is a 21,5"

thanks for your opinion,, yeah i think i edited the lin now

Whoever made that pc list is an idiot and should be shot. 550 ti to drive 2560 x 1440? yeah not gonna very well. you would need a better gpu and you would be set

Imac here

why???

well the pc is $500 less so big win there but saying that the extra $500 could be put towards a better mobo, CPU and GPU maybe even custom cooling and you would have an absolute beast rig

My Current Rig: CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: H100i MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X SOC GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 Tahiti pro (Died 6/07/2014 RIP) & PowerColour HD7950  GPU Cooler: NZXT G10 W/ Corsair H55 HDD&SSD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB + Corsair GS 128GB + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2.  

Thanks man but it would realy help if you could back up your opinion so that I know why you think that way...

um i dont know what u mean.

but if u asks whats worth to buy of the 2 systems i thinks both is bad.. i would get 4670k NOT S

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Whoever made that pc list is an idiot and should be shot. 550 ti to drive 2560 x 1440? yeah not gonna very well. you would need a better gpu and you would be set

I made that list myself for your info bro... And no I am not an idiot, I made tht list considering the specs of an iMac 27 and trying to make it as similar as possible to be able to compare it... you clearly didn't read my first post.

Why such an expensive monitor?

There are other good 27'' IPS monitors for much cheaper so unless you have a specfic need for this, I would skimp on the display.

um i dont know what u mean.

but if u asks whats worth to buy of the 2 systems i thinks both is bad.. i would get 4670k NOT S

alright thanks for your input,,, btw I also believe that a 4670k would be way better, hawever as I said to the other guy I was trying to build the pc as similar to the I=iMac as possible

why???

Becuze if u want a gaming system with a imac u cant.

You cannot play the new games like Bf4,Bf3, COD ghosts...

IMAc dont support the most of the good games....

only if u install windows on it.

but the imac system is not that good for the price. imacs is overpriced.

build a custom PC for that price. not with S version CPUs.

i recommend you to buy fx8350

and NOt the Gtx 550.

buy GTX 770-780 or radeon 7970

Well the iMac wins but it is £50 more than the custom build. Level the prices and the PC will win hands down. EG up CPU to Haswell K series and stick in a better graphics card. Something like a 660ti.

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz | MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr II OC | Samsung Evo 850 250GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Corsair 600T White | Corsair H100 | Corsair HX850 | Corsair SP120 QE | Asus MX279H | LG Flatron E2251 | Logitech G502 | Das Keyboard Ultimate 4 Browns | Fiio E10 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Corsair SP2500 | HTC One M8 | MacBook Air (Mid 2013) i5 8GB 128GB

I made that list myself for your info bro... And no I am not an idiot, I made tht list considering the specs of an iMac 27 and trying to make it as similar as possible to be able to compare it... you clearly didn't read my first post.

I did. But a 550 TI is very outdated at this point and won't drive that monitor that well.

Sorry If I came off as a tool. But that gpu is outdated

Why such an expensive monitor?

There are other good 27'' IPS mintors for much cheaper so unless you have a specfic need for this, I would skimp on the display.

it had to be 2560 x 1440 to compare it to the iMac

The iMac has a mobile processor and graphics card. It is not on par with the desktop. 

For comparison, a desktop i3 beats a mobile i5.

Better than either: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1lwM0

Edit: I've been corrected. The iMac uses standard downclocked cpus and not mobile ones.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Remember that with the iMac you also get one of the best screens on the market included in the price.

Not really true. You can build a better pc with the same kind of screen for half the price of a imac. or  you can build a beast 1000 dollar pc + 500 on the monitor

Not really true. You can build a better pc with the same kind of screen for half the price of a imac. or  you can build a beast 1000 dollar pc + 500 on the monitor

There are few screens that can compete with the "Cinema" display, and the above does not make my statement any less valid.

custom pc all the way.